Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does Christianity Need A Mainstream Guitar Virtuoso?
YES. Christianity could use a Rock Virtuoso... 25 56.82%
NO. Leave it to the dying secular world.... 13 29.55%
NOT SURE. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #76

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
PacerX,

I can see where you're coming from...i'm torn, because i see both sides of the coin...i think it'd be great to see more complex music being written, but Rainer. has just extrapolated my thoughts on why having a certain level of simplicity is a good thing. it's not so much a satisfaction with "mediocrity" as an understand of "people's music"...folk music.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #77
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Also, easy-to-transpose is a factor. More complicated things get, then it gets harder to transpose without some major song tweaking.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #78

These Last Posts . . .

You Guys Are Good . . .

I have really enjoyed your perspectives.

As much as I love fast and furious stuff, I also believe that music can be too technical. The people we are trying to communicate to can get lost in the minutia of what we shredders are doing. I believe speed and technical playing should be the "Icing on the Cake" and the content should be focused on communicating the message of the song.

That said, I sadly, have little patience for what seems to be thrown together. Music has to take me somewhere.

To what end would a virtuoso serve in the Christian music field? I believe that most worship and meaningful songs that touch the hearts and minds of people do so through their lyrics. Aside from hearing a cool riff, or learning a cool technique, how has a virtuoso ever changed your life? Has the message of a soloist's song ever changed the way you think? More than likely, it's just the way the music makes you feel that is important to you.

I like soloists because they are exciting and they challenge me to get better.

What are your thoughts?
Your Brother in Christ,
John
tubeamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #79
I'm on a horse.

Well, here's an interesting question I can pose...

Do you think that music using a bit more complex structure be able to better convey the emotion of some lyrics, then just using, say, a I-IV-V type of simple progression?

Unread 04-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #80
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Do you think that music using a bit more complex structure be able to better convey the emotion of some lyrics, then just using, say, a I-IV-V type of simple progression?
Thank goodness this was brought up. I find I-IV-V's VERY limiting. You're working with (not including non-harmonic tones) six notes total. If you start expanding the harmonies and floating around tonality, it will probably become more difficult to play and to sing, but, it's easier to be more emotive. Perhaps you can convey the emotion through your own personal presentation, however, there's something about using more complex chords and melodies that automatically (in my own ears) make something more emotional.

My brief two credits, right there.
Unread 04-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #81
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamp7
Don't you think he would have been more passionate in his solos if he could? If you equate "Loud" or "Overly Distorted" with Passion, well then your definition is satisfied.

When an artist can take a single note, and play it in a way that makes you feel something more than just the note, that is special. Take BB King for example. Very few notes per minute, but mucho Passion. People like Vai and Satch can play one note in a myriad of different ways. That enables them to project Passion. It is just that the fast part of their work is what people like best. That is what sells their records, and what they enjoy doing.

It is clear your opinion is pretty fixed and I respect that. Personally, I never could stand Nirvana. It was pretty obvious he hated life, even in his music. 'Nuff Said!!

On to the next subject . . .

Sincerely,
Your Brother in Christ,
John
Passion would be putting everything you've got in yourself for something. Yes, well Kurt obviously didn't have passion for life, but for music. I basically repeat everything Jon (Rainer) said.
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #82

Quote:
Well, here's an interesting question I can pose...

Adding more complex progressions and 7th chords, 9th chords, etc adds that "passion" to the music without words. The use of suspensions, relsolutions, candences, and other musical devices all help add to that passion. There is a happy medium between technically advanced and emotionally driven music.
guitarzan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #83
Dogbert's back!

Well I guess I'll start by saying that I don't like the comments on here calling today's praise music a bunch of mush. In praise music, if you are more concerned with the music than the worship, then something needs to change. And on the musical perspective, I don't think it sounds like mush, at least what I've heard.

I personally would like to see a guitar virtuoso doing Christian music, but I think the passion in the music is much more important. I'll refer to someone's example of BB King. He has some slow stuff, but it sounds so incredible when he plays it, who cares? Suppose that an artist had as much passion--or even more--than Kurt Cobain had for his, who cares if there's a lightning speed shred in there? I was just on my route listening to "Worship Again" by Michael W Smith, and I very much love the first song on that CD "Step By Step." It's nothing really fancy, but it's very nicely put together. There's some guitar, keyboard, violin, and just sounds great.

Though I can see the advantage of having a Christian virtuoso. If their name could become big enough or they could get enough exposure, certainly the guitar freaks could come in and be blown away, and with a Christian message being in their hands, it could lead them somewhere.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #84
PLAY FOR HIM!!

Send a message via AIM to c1rocker
so do ya'll think that bands that use the 3 cord progression souldn't make a reccord because the music isn't complex enough, or the artists arn't talented enough? im not saying you are, im just wondering what your take is on that...
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #85
PLAY FOR HIM!!

^mainly concerning Christian artists here
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #86
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Even though the three chord thing is part of what I don't like but still it is different than Country musics three chord songs because there are great session players out there that do show how good they can play. But you take a song like I Saw The Light(Hank Williams) it's three or four chords and has all the passion with out needing Vai. But if this was a Praise song that would come out to day it would become watered down and just get ignored. And could it be that Christian music relys so much on watered down praise songs that it hurts it's self.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #87
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rocker
so do ya'll think that bands that use the 3 cord progression souldn't make a reccord because the music isn't complex enough, or the artists arn't talented enough? im not saying you are, im just wondering what your take is on that...
Then we technically wouldn't have 90% of all blues songs ever written, not to mention "Smoke On The Water"... (well, then again, we wouldn't have to hear "All The Small Things" anymore... )

It's not how many chords used, it's about what is done with those chords.

Unread 04-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #88
Guitars are cool

Quote:
It's not how many chords used, it's about what is done with those chords.
Yep. I could still do a I-IV-V, but if made it Cmaj9(#11)-F6-G13(b9), it's automatically much cooler than just C-F-G.
Unread 04-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
Yep. I could still do a I-IV-V, but if made it Cmaj9(#11)-F6-G13(b9), it's automatically much cooler than just C-F-G.

I'll second that!
guitarzan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #90
PLAY FOR HIM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
woot!