Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does Christianity Need A Mainstream Guitar Virtuoso?
YES. Christianity could use a Rock Virtuoso... 25 56.82%
NO. Leave it to the dying secular world.... 13 29.55%
NOT SURE. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #46
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchfootRulz!
Nobody's mentioned Lincoln Brewster...so I am now mentioning Lincoln Brewster.

He is an extremely talented Christian guitarist
Amen. If you know his story, you know that he was to be one of the next up and coming guitarists with Steve Perry. God had a better use for his talents, even though at first it was to be the sound guy at a small church. He can rip, yet he's a real humble guy. Maybe that's it. Humility keeps a lot of them out of the limelight. After all, they are pleasing God, not men. Just my $.02.

Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #47
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Amen. If you know his story, you know that he was to be one of the next up and coming guitarists with Steve Perry. God had a better use for his talents, even though at first it was to be the sound guy at a small church. He can rip, yet he's a real humble guy. Maybe that's it. Humility keeps a lot of them out of the limelight. After all, they are pleasing God, not men. Just my $.02.
yeah, he is an amazing guitarist and I got to see him live a couple years ago
He had about 6 guitars (different tunings), every one with holographic paint jobs!

Anyways, yes he is an amazing guitarist.
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #48
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchfootRulz!
yeah, he is an amazing guitarist and I got to see him live a couple years ago
He had about 6 guitars (different tunings), every one with holographic paint jobs!

Anyways, yes he is an amazing guitarist.
I've been blessed to have seen him live at least three times and also had a chance to talk with him. He is a really humble guy. I was hoping to see him last November at a musician's summit, but he and his wife were having a baby. I'll likely get to see him twice this year at the musician's summit and Creation Fest.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #49
I play Guitar...

Hey! I mentioned LB! Excellent player (live CD coming out in the next few months!) but I still wish there was a Christian person doing virtuoso level instrumentals.
Unread 04-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #50
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
ohh...i smell a whole new tangent about to be launched into...because i want to know exactly what you mean by "aesthetic talent." (i've never listened to 12 Stones so while i sorta get the example, at the same time i don't)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-W.com
Main Entry: 2aesthetic
Function: noun
1 plural but singular or plural in construction : a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of beauty, art, and taste and with the creation and appreciation of beauty
2 : a particular theory or conception of beauty or art : a particular taste for or approach to what is pleasing to the senses and especially sight
3 plural : a pleasing appearance or effect : BEAUTY
So "aesthetic talent" would be reffering to creativity, art, good songwriting skills, beautiful melodies, ect. 12 Stones doesn't have any of that. Yes, their guitar player is VERY good at soloing, in fact, I'm hesitant to say he's amazing, but everything else he does is generic modern radio rock. Some people call them a bunch of Creed-rip-offs, but they aren't. They're very similar, but still have nothing that separates them from whatever else is on the radio.

Their lyrics are some of the most boring I have ever seen. They seem to try and fit as many cliches possible into a 3 minute song.

And then there are artists like Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan was very, very simple. But he had a ton of aesthetic talent, and is considered by some to be the greatest songwriter ever. Get what I'm saying now?
Unread 04-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #51
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan
Hey! I mentioned LB! Excellent player (live CD coming out in the next few months!) but I still wish there was a Christian person doing virtuoso level instrumentals.

sorry I had overlooked your post

It would be nice having Brewster put out an instrumental album
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock
Get what I'm saying now?
yeah...i figured that's what you were saying. i just wasn't quite sure (the definitions weren't necessary :-))

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #53
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
For entertainment Christian music doesn't do it for me but you take a Sunday morning in a small church like I go to that just does hymns with a piano, man nothing can touch that but that also isn't entertainment. I don't know if I'm saying what has been said just in a different way but when I say Christian music doesn't do it for me I mean it just doesn't catch my attention it doesn't make me say hey I'm gonna have to go get that new cd by so and so today or other than Third Day doesn't make me say I'm gonna have to learn that song. But if there ever is a stand out guitarist it will give Christian music more credibilty(spelling) as something besides church music. Like how many people wont listen to a band like Third Day because their cd's get filed in the Christian section insted of giving them a chance because they are a good band that puts out good music. Or just like the first time I ever heard Jesus Freak, my friend was like check this christian group out they're pretty good. And I was like yeah sure but I was thinking ah man I don't wanna listen to this crap. But to my amazment it wasn't crap it really was good music. Just like my another friend of mine was telling me of this cd he has(don't remember the name) and was talking about how good the music was but kinda as an sfter thought he was like it might be Christian but it's an awesome cd. And this is a guy who idoesn't live the greatest life style but had a Christian cd had an effect on him because it was good music. I don't care what kind of music your listening to if the music isn't good your not gonna listen. Now a good song with a good message is Hank Williams' I saw The Light.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #54

as it's been said before.
the "virtuoso" Christians are out there.
the "ear-catching" Christians (of any genre) are out there.
they might not be at the top of the market, but they are out there.
and of course one thing this thread hasn't addressed (thankfully) is the idea of witnessing virtuosos vs. virtuosity as a way to make money and also being a Christian.

Seriously there's alot of good music out there (in my opinion) being put out by bands that have toyed with the "Christian" label (Copeland comes straight to mind...but there's others). The problem really isn't that people want a Christian virtuoso to bring others back to "the fold", it's that they think an uncaring world is going to go "hey look, it's great music, and Christian, we should be Christians too," which in my mind simply isn't the case.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:07 AM   #55

Virtuoso . . . is age a factor . . .

Hello All,

In order to be excellent, time is a factor. Even artists such as the 80's shredders were just beginning to hit their stride. Look at Michael Angelo Battio, he has got to be at least 50 or so and can blow anybody away. Vai is 40ish, Satch is 40ish, does age really matter, or quality?

What are your thoughts?

Your Brother in Christ,
John
tubeamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #56

there is a time factor because is takes time to get that good.
That being said, Satch is 49 now, but hit the "big time" in 1986, at the age of 30.
Vai was about the same age (a couple years younger) when his career started to take off. Interestingly, Satch and Vai went to the same high school and Satch actually taught Vai guitar in their tenage years.
Yngwie Malmsteen was also in his twenties when he "struck gold". You can't forget that while we are talking about these guys now, in 2005, their careers took off some twenty-odd years ago.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #57

But . . . do you really care about age . . .

Hi All,

Do you honestly care about age that much, or do you want to be rocked?

Your Brother in Christ,
JC
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #58
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
did you read what he said? He said of course age is a factor only in the respect that it takes time to get that good.

He also made the point that these guys' careers took off when they were younger. So I think he conveyed that maybe age doesn't matter?
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #59

Age . . . Factor or not

Point Taken,

I personally don't care how old the artist is, as long as they move me.

I have to also agree with some of the other posters here that most Christian music is bland, and a little too vanilla. When it comes to playing, for me it is about attitude. That is what moves me. Attitude doesn't have to be bad, it just has to be there.

Maybe this is better communicated as Passion. Passion beats pure virtuosity every time in my book, but there has to be some level of virtuosity to properly convey passion with the guitar.

That said, it is all about serving God, and doing His will. I believe that is the reason any of us has any talent of any kind. Our purpose is to serve God. We should do it out of Love, 'cuz you know He Loves Us!!!

Alright now, I gotta earn my keep!!!

Sincerely,
Your Brother in Christ,
John
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #60
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Could it be that these guys are out there but they don't show it because Chriatian music is to limited creatively. I mean I've seen where people say Third Day is devil music, I can't remember how it was said but thats what the person ment. And I've been told my self when I was in a Christian metal band that we were playing devil music. I've also had a good friend tell me that he would like to do harder music but he can't because you gotta play what sells. I've been to my friends band practis and he can play but you go see them at a show and he still throws down but not like he can. I think it's really sad when iut comes to how close mined people are to music.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote