Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does Christianity Need A Mainstream Guitar Virtuoso?
YES. Christianity could use a Rock Virtuoso... 25 56.82%
NO. Leave it to the dying secular world.... 13 29.55%
NOT SURE. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #31
CGR's Stealth Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle
Phil Keagey
nice spelling.

I love Keaggy and have seen him live 6 times. Only thing is, he is... umm, too tasteful? In other words, his playing is so perfect that it can come across as subdued. The only time you can see him bust it out is live. He doesn't release music with the pure animalistic energy of Vai, Satch, Van Halen, or Malmsteen's recorded work. Nor does he try to appeal to those audiences. Please don't get me wrong - I love the Keaggster and I consider his natural talent actually higher than Vai's. But Christian music would be more edified, and downright more interesting, with people who study and play and perform and teach and delight crowds to the level that Steve Vai can.

I would add Dave Beegle to the list of names that Marc Seal falls on, by the way. He's another great unknown.

Maybe most Christian audiences find guitar virtuosity too self-indulgent? I know some older ones who do. It's a shame.

Jay42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #32
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Maybe Christian audiences find it too immodest?
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #33
CGR's Stealth Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
Maybe Christian audiences find it too immodest?
I think your hunch is correct. Too bad though.
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #34
PLAY FOR HIM!!

Send a message via AIM to c1rocker
im VERY VERY saddend that this point has never come across. What is the main and most important goal of "Christian" music?.....THINK.....THINK HARDER.....TO WORSHIP OUR AWESOME GOD THAT FRICKN' DIED FOR US, OUT OF HIS PERFECT GRACE!!! BUT ALL OF US CAN ONLY SAY "i can't listen to Christian music because it doesn't have good enough guitar in it"??? yes, i can very muchly relate to the idea that "borying Christian" music is out there....but when i find myself listening to some Zepplin or some Stealy Dan (i think i spelled that right) i just feel empty, and i don't think that that music gains me anything. Why? thats because Steve Vai, Jim. Page, Dan and others were not using their God givin talent for God. They were playing for the sake of being good at guitar, and for THEIR OWN GLORY. now when you listen to it i understand thats not your motive, but i feel so much more entergized when i listen to some Third day, or Chris Tomlin, who i admit isn't that greatest guitar player i have ever heard....not even close. But they glorigy God, thats their motive, a BETTER MOTIVE. If you think that Christian music is to dull in the guitar section, make your own stuff. But keep in mind what your motives are, becuase there're in the wrong spot if they are anywhere but for His Glory.
Just please think that over. for His Glory ~Parker
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #35
Dining alone tonight

Tell me: does a work have to explicitly praise God in order to glorify Him? Can't a Christian painter glorify God in a painting, even if it's not necessarily a "scriptural" scene? Can't a Christian athlete glorify God by excelling in his field, as long as he has the right heart? Why, then, couldn't a Christian guitarist glorify God through an instrumental album?

Gecko of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #36
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle
Phil Keagey
The man who makes the question moot.
Unread 04-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon
This past Wednesday night Jay42 and I had the opportunity to see Steve Vai and Co... The concert was great... A tad on the loud side... But the earplugs certainly helped... If you get a chance to see Vai and Co, GO... It's one thing to listen to the music but to see it played live is really cool...

Anyways..

I got to thinkin... Does Christianity need a Steve Vai, Satriani, MacAlpine... etc...? All the great guitarists of today are non believers (or at least from my understanding they are not). Christianity has replicated mainstream secularism in just about all aspects... But nothing along the lines of instrumental guitar rock... Now I will somewhat correct myself. Marc Seal is a professed Christian... But he is not "Mainstream". I think very few know who Marc is... His albumns are Christian.. But you don't see them at the bookstore, or at least I never have...

What brought this about was as great as the concert was on Wed... I was think how cool would it have been to be able to go see someone in a venue that didn't have the smell of Pot, Beer, Cigarettes and all the other stuff that people think that they have to do at a concert.... The music doesn't even have to strictly instrumental, why not a Christian Dream Theater or Pink Floyd... I was recently at the Mercy Me Concert with Jeremy Camp.. Great concert. Great music and musicianship... But really no screaming guitars...

Just something to think about..
Actually, James Labrie is a christian and John Petricci (the virtuoso guitarist) is catholic and both are practicing. They just don't play 'christian music'.
Unread 04-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rocker
im VERY VERY saddend that this point has never come across. What is the main and most important goal of "Christian" music?.....THINK.....THINK HARDER.....TO WORSHIP OUR AWESOME GOD THAT FRICKN' DIED FOR US, OUT OF HIS PERFECT GRACE!!! BUT ALL OF US CAN ONLY SAY "i can't listen to Christian music because it doesn't have good enough guitar in it"??? yes, i can very muchly relate to the idea that "borying Christian" music is out there....but when i find myself listening to some Zepplin or some Stealy Dan (i think i spelled that right) i just feel empty, and i don't think that that music gains me anything. Why? thats because Steve Vai, Jim. Page, Dan and others were not using their God givin talent for God. They were playing for the sake of being good at guitar, and for THEIR OWN GLORY. now when you listen to it i understand thats not your motive, but i feel so much more entergized when i listen to some Third day, or Chris Tomlin, who i admit isn't that greatest guitar player i have ever heard....not even close. But they glorigy God, thats their motive, a BETTER MOTIVE. If you think that Christian music is to dull in the guitar section, make your own stuff. But keep in mind what your motives are, becuase there're in the wrong spot if they are anywhere but for His Glory.
So as long as their motives are correct they'll get a free pass to play bad music?
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #39
CGR's Stealth Bomber

Quote:
im VERY VERY saddend that this point has never come across.
Well actually I'm very saddened that it has.

How come pianists, organists, violoinists and vocalists have historically been congratulated for showing off, but someone who can shred on the guitar gets some kind of stamp of EV-ILL put on it?
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #40

Quote:

So, am I wasting my time by studying the guitar at university?
guitarzan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #41
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
First I gotta ask was the poll qestion miss worded and ment to say Christian music? And second what about people who listen to music for entertainment. And I don't listen to Christian music(I do listen to Third Day) because it does nothing for me musically. And how many other people don't listen for the same reasons.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
First I gotta ask was the poll qestion miss worded and ment to say Christian music? And second what about people who listen to music for entertainment. And I don't listen to Christian music(I do listen to Third Day) because it does nothing for me musically. And how many other people don't listen for the same reasons.
there's alot of people who don't listen to Christian music because it doesn't "do" anything for them musically. generally alot of music leaves me wanting, regardless of it's spiritual content. if i find an artist you like and isn't antithetical to your my then i pretty much stick with it

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #43
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
there's alot of people who don't listen to Christian music because it doesn't "do" anything for them musically. generally alot of music leaves me wanting, regardless of it's spiritual content. if i find an artist you like and isn't antithetical to your my then i pretty much stick with it
And that is why I listen to a lot of Vai and Satch. They are extremely talented and creative players, and as the majority of their music is instrumental, I see no reason not to listen to it. I just avoid the songs (mostly by Vai...) that contain rather antithetical lyrics.
Unread 04-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #44

There are a number of Christian Wiz Guitar Players out there. One I can think of Shawn Tubbs. Another guy is Calle Grimmark from the band Narnia. Calle is a great guy, and plays wonderfully. Check him out at www.narniaworld.com
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #45
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Nobody's mentioned Lincoln Brewster...so I am now mentioning Lincoln Brewster.

He is an extremely talented Christian guitarist
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote