Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does Christianity Need A Mainstream Guitar Virtuoso?
YES. Christianity could use a Rock Virtuoso... 25 56.82%
NO. Leave it to the dying secular world.... 13 29.55%
NOT SURE. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #136
PLAY FOR HIM!!

Send a message via AIM to c1rocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamp7
Hey Guys,

We have to remember that what we all do individually to Worship is different. Worship is an act of Love.

We are all like the 3 or 4 year old child who tries with all their might to draw something beautiful with crayons. Then, proudly presents it to their Dad or Mom. When Dad or Mom looks at it, they look at it through the eyes of Love and see the beauty of the intention . . . not the obvious imperfections. The best we can do is pitifully flawed and when compared with Gods creative perfection, horribly ugly. It is the Love that goes into these efforts that is significant to God. That is Worship. Whether music, art, or anything, it is the Love and desire to Serve our God that matters.

With that said, only God can truly know if the modern Christian Artist is serving himself or herself. It really doesn't matter what their skill level is as much as their intention in their heart.

All of this can seem to complicate things more, but it really doesn't. Just do what you do the very best that you can. If you have a talent to mass produce songs that sound similar, but are truly trying to serve God, then do it with a joyful heart. You are not wrong to do that. If you have a talent to shred away and are truly trying to serve God, then do that! (Please!) Use your God given talents to serve God in whatever way you can.

Do we have a need for Virtuosos? If you need to hear one, the answer is for you is yes. If you don't, than no. It is your personal need that matters. I think sometimes we need to forget about the big picture and do what God has called us personally to do. God is in control of the big picture.

PS: I just wanted to say that I can still hear Eric Johnson on a daily basis up here in NH on the radio. That guy can play!!

With Love,
Your Brother in Christ,
John

In my own opinion, that post answers the question the best...A+

Unread 04-16-2005, 04:04 AM   #137
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Wink

Yo,Pacer!!!
Yeah, Yer right!!! I guess it is harder for a Rich Celebrity to take a vow of Poverty and pay himself $24,000.00,than it is for a poor bozo barely surviving on $11,000.00 to do so. Must be nice to have those kinds of options. Also, i didn't realize becoming a Franciscan Monk was in the fine print of that proposition You put forth. Pls forgive my oversight.
But seriously, i don't mean to be contensious, or to disrespect anyone's Celebrity Idols. Perhapse i just suffer from a different perspective.
Peace!!!
Bobby
Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #138
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Simcox
Yo,Pacer!!!
Yeah, Yer right!!! I guess it is harder for a Rich Celebrity to take a vow of Poverty and pay himself $24,000.00,than it is for a poor bozo barely surviving on $11,000.00 to do so. Must be nice to have those kinds of options. Also, i didn't realize becoming a Franciscan Monk was in the fine print of that proposition You put forth. Pls forgive my oversight.
But seriously, i don't mean to be contensious, or to disrespect anyone's Celebrity Idols. Perhapse i just suffer from a different perspective.
Peace!!!
Bobby
Look, I'm not trying to be contentious with you, and I have no need for idols, but I'm telling ya - taking on that kind of lifestyle is way more than I believe you think it is. I think it is in line with Christ's belief that is IS harder for a rich person to do what Rich Mullins did than it is for a poor person.

"Matthew 19:24
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Read up on it if you're of the belief that you're already there. If so, then maybe you should give it a shot. Heck, maybe you're a missionary right now... they certainly know poverty in a lot of cases and are out doing the hard work for the Lord. Start by selling everything you have and giving the money away to the poor. You did state:

"Geez, where do i sign???"

Call up your local Catholic Church, they can point you in the right direction, and I'll bet a dozen doughnuts no conversion to Catholicism is required to get a Franciscan Monk on the line some way and find out what the lifestyle is really like... but I'm pretty sure the computer you're typing your replies on will have to go... along with all your clothes... and anything else you own.

That means basically no help from anyone either. No free medical from the government (you wouldn't even apply for it), no student loans, no help from parents or family, no food stamps, zip, zero, nada. If you get anything, you either eat it on the spot or give it away.

Poverty
Obedience
Chastity

They'll probably wave the really cool haircut if you're a protestant trying it out... then again, maybe not.

I'll tell you point blank that I couldn't do it, and I've known poverty also, so think of this as a critique of myself more than anything, along with CCM... but then again, I've never charged a church for "Praise and Worship" sheet music to ensure I'm raking in my royalties.

Last edited by PacerX; 04-16-2005 at 07:35 AM.
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #139
Good Grief!!!

To Bobby Simcox:

I don't want to drag this thread too far off the beaten path, but I'm curious:

1) Your profile says you hail from San Jose, California
2) You imply (in this thread) that you survive on only $11,000 USD per year
3) You're claiming someone who makes $24,000 per year as being rich.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I have a couple of questions?

1) Do you live either at your parent's house OR on/near a college campus or are you homeless?
2) Do you have your own computer or do you use the college/community library's?
3) What job(s) that you have in San Jose, California pay $11,000 per year?

Again, I'm just curious...because your language sounds (to me) like your job(s) pay you $11,000 per year, but you actually live of far more than that amount (contributions from parents, loans, grants, etc.). Or you are extremely well spoken and read for a homeless person using a library computer.

Nate
Unread 04-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #140
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearce7
If you ask the majority of the rock music listeners out there (who don't play an instument), they will tell you that they are fans of Good Charlotte, Green Day, etc.... As you can see, most people really like these bands, but these bands have the guitar playing ability of my 10 year old nephew!!

So, *most* people who listen to music are inclined to NOT want to hear some virtuostic shred-fest. They want to hear the I-IV-V progressions, similar to Good Charlotte and Green Day.....and Michael W. Smith, and Third Day.
That's a great point. Not only is Christian music uncomplicated and rather boring to many of us, but so is mainstream secular music. Mainstream music in general.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #141
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Smile

Ai yi yi!!! Sorry, Fellas, i didn't realize that my lighthearted candor would cause such a furor!!! Please accept my humblest apologies!!!O
To set the record straight, let me say that i play guitar for a living and hold a meager daily side job to pay the rent on a room that i live in.i gig and rehearse w/ 5 original bands, so i'm lucky if i make a few bucks here and there to suppliment my gas expenditures!!! i've been living a spartan lifestyle for 10 yrs and have no real complaints about it because it affords me the freedom to devote my time and limited talents to serve God musically.God has blessed me abundantly in the form of hand-me-downs, and Praise God that Walmart jeans can be got for 11 bucks and change!!!
i joined the computer age several years ago when i inherited my Dad's laptop since both he and Mom went Home due to cancer that same year. Thankfully, they were both believers so i'm confident that they are in a much better place!!! Yes i did get a modest financial inheritance, but that is almost depleted, and most of it has gone to God's work.
All i can really say is that if someone wanted to pay me 24 grand a yr to go on tour 24/7/365, i wouldn't mind that at all, and since i'm living on half that, it wouldn't be viewed as a burden, but rather a welcome blessing!!!O
I by no means meant my statements to be demeaning to Bro.Mullins, or anyone who holds him in high regard.For years, i've heard that Bro. Mullins took a vow of "poverty" but when i learned that he allowed himself a 24,000 dollar/yr pay check, i questioned if that is Truly "Poverty". Just remember that "poverty standards" here in the U.S. are alot higher than anywere else on the planet, so i have a soft heart for the truly impoverished. I didn't mean to be critical or to cast any dispersions on anyones' testimony. Pls forgive my worldview and lack of senestivity!!!
Maybe i just need a vacation!!! Oh,Dang, i can't afford one!!!
Your Humbled Bro,
Bobby
Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2005, 06:02 AM   #142

The Scariest Guitarist in the World (and he is a Christian)

Check out new Australian-based virtuoso guitarist Jeremy Barnes who has currently finished his debut album 'ON' and is embarking on a series of clinic tours in Australia.

This Christian guitarist is playing at Steve Vai's Jemfest Festival in Melbourne Australia in July 2005. He is (unofficially) the 'Fastest Guitarist in the World' and can play a stunning 40+ notes per second, but this is secondary to his equally impressive compositions, melodies and musicality.

Website under construction www.jeremybarnes.com. In the meantime listen to his title track featured in the 'Sounds' section at www.petedrummond.com.
BWCDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #143

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWCDrummer
Check out new Australian-based virtuoso guitarist Jeremy Barnes who has currently finished his debut album 'ON' and is embarking on a series of clinic tours in Australia.

This Christian guitarist is playing at Steve Vai's Jemfest Festival in Melbourne Australia in July 2005. He is (unofficially) the 'Fastest Guitarist in the World' and can play a stunning 40+ notes per second, but this is secondary to his equally impressive compositions, melodies and musicality.

Website under construction www.jeremybarnes.com. In the meantime listen to his title track featured in the 'Sounds' section at www.petedrummond.com.
you realize that there's several unofficial fastest guitarists in the world.

that being said...i've always noticed that when you start playing that fast it sounds like old school Nintendo...i say that because i'm listening to him right now and thinking Metroid.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #144
I have a Guitar.

I only have one thing to say to all of this nonsense. Phil Keaggy.
dcfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #145
I play Guitar...

Read through the thread and you will see him mentioned several times as well as why he isn't what we are looking for in this thread.
Unread 04-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #146

Lightbulb What in the guitar world!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon
This past Wednesday night Jay42 and I had the opportunity to see Steve Vai and Co... The concert was great... A tad on the loud side... But the earplugs certainly helped... If you get a chance to see Vai and Co, GO... It's one thing to listen to the music but to see it played live is really cool...

Anyways..

I got to thinkin... Does Christianity need a Steve Vai, Satriani, MacAlpine... etc...? All the great guitarists of today are non believers (or at least from my understanding they are not). Christianity has replicated mainstream secularism in just about all aspects... But nothing along the lines of instrumental guitar rock... Now I will somewhat correct myself. Marc Seal is a professed Christian... But he is not "Mainstream". I think very few know who Marc is... His albumns are Christian.. But you don't see them at the bookstore, or at least I never have...

What brought this about was as great as the concert was on Wed... I was think how cool would it have been to be able to go see someone in a venue that didn't have the smell of Pot, Beer, Cigarettes and all the other stuff that people think that they have to do at a concert.... The music doesn't even have to strictly instrumental, why not a Christian Dream Theater or Pink Floyd... I was recently at the Mercy Me Concert with Jeremy Camp.. Great concert. Great music and musicianship... But really no screaming guitars...

Just something to think about..
Hey now, I dont think this really counts as solo instrumentalist, but Ty Tabor of KingsX is a christian and is regarded as one of the finest rock guitarists in the business. Guitar player mag editors have called his sound "possibly the most influential sound since early VanHalen" wow, heady praise for a now virtually unknown guy. And while not strictly a rock musician, and better known for his acoustic work, Phil Keaggy is also a top-notch christian guitarist. If it doesn't have to be instrumental only, check out some of the lesser known christian groups like the up and coming Skillet. Also Blindside,Staple and hey, some classic collective soul. If your into old-school stuff like 80's metal, Stryper is a christian group and their guiatrists were as good as they come. Granted, Stryper is now off the road but you can still obtain their stuff. Overall however, I have wondered why there aren't more awesome solo guitarists in the realm of christain music, but one reason I'm sure is real or false humility, some guys, like Pillars guitar guy, can shred like crazy but don't do so on their albums because they feel it's just "showing off". Well, dunno anything else, good luck with that. (oh wait there's always me, christian rock guitarist!!
shred/dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #147

Stryper . . .

Hi Again Everybody,

Since you mentioned them, I just wanted to tell everybody that Stryper is about to release a new album. Yeah, their guitarist is amazing. He has been playing in other bands in his area, but I am glad they are back together.

Here is a sample from the Stryper website of their upcoming album:

Your Brother in Christ,
John
tubeamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred/dan
But one reason I'm sure is real or false humility, some guys, like Pillars guitar guy, can shred like crazy but don't do so on their albums because they feel it's just "showing off".
Uhm, thats why we buy the albums. If all it took was a sad rendition of a pentitonic scale we would all be happy with our own work, but we should expe ct excelance out of the "pros". I think its just as bad not to use talents God has given you as to not do because people think you are showing off.
Bodies To Die For
Speaker from Heaven
Drew Neal is offline   Reply With Quote