Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Jake2787
Feeling

Hey,

Ive been singing for awhile now..but i cant seem to understand how to sing with feeling..everyone i talked to all say the same thing " Your on key but you should sing with more feeling" They say i sound dry and all..When i sing i think i do it with emotion... Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Anything at all.

Thanks,

- Jake

Jake2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
power chord hater

Hey man,

It's hard to really give advice on this w/out hearing you but here's the best I can do.

Emotion is a hard thing to convey when you have to work at it. Emotions are natural and it's hard to force them. I'm not saying that you are cold and emotionless, don't get me wrong.

Anyways, back to my point, singing without emotion is comparable to talking like Ben Stein. All the words are right, and you get the point, but you lose the meaning. It's hard to force yourself to have emotion but try to let the music lead you. Normally the music behind you will give you a good indication of the feeling that you should be putting forth.

When you sing you DO have to make a concious effort to convey emotion (the same way you have to make a concious effort to breathe properly, have good posture, form vowels correctly, etc...). Try putting yourself into the place of the person the song is speaking about or through (i.e. "theif" by Third Day). Try to convey to the audience the meaning of the song that goes beyond the words.

Hope this helped man. As i said, I have to be pretty vague w/out an audio sample. Good luck!
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote