Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Still true to this day...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins_fan
Again, the complete inadequacy of all human language when it comes to the divine. Does anyone know if Ancient Hebrew and Ancient Greek have gendered nouns like Spanish and French do?
Greek does.

Unread 03-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #17
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Quote:
In Greek, Father and Son are masculine but the Spirit is neuter.

Also, in the Isaiah (Isaiah 42:14, 46:3, 49:15, 66:13; Matthew 23:37; Luke 15:8-10 all show either explicit or implicit feminine images applied to God). YHWH is said the care for his people as a mother cares for her children. Obviously the male imagery is more abundant in the Bible and in the Tradition of the Church. Thus it is preferred. However, througout the Tradition there has been a recognition that God is supra-gender and neither 'male' nor 'female' can adequately describe God (of course, God is above all our descriptions); thus, there is biblical and theological precedent to call God mother but Father/Son/Holy Spirit are still the most proper names for the persons of the Trinity since these have the most solid roots in Scripture. .
I would tentatively agree, as there is also the feminine wisdom personification in Proverbs.
However, I think a case could also be made that while God the Son and God the Father do certain feminine things (or, at the very least, certain things they do are expressed using feminine, earthly types), they are still masculine, ultimately.

I don't know, it's wierd.
Unread 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #18
The Original

Send a message via ICQ to PacShady Send a message via AIM to PacShady Send a message via MSN to PacShady Send a message via Yahoo to PacShady
I've heard of the whole Sophia thing. It's a Gnostic belief that the Holy Spirit is in fact female. This ties in with the belief that God the Father is actually MARRIED to the Holy Spirit (Sophia, God the Mother) and they produced God the Son, Jesus. It's also a belief held by "Trinitarian Wiccans" - people who follow the religious framework of Wicca (neo-witchcraft for those unaware), while maintaining a belief in the "Christian" Godhead. It's focused on alot in Gnostic Gospels, and in new age circles.

Just some background information

'Shady
PacShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #19
I'm an idiot!

Send a message via AIM to maadio
How in the world did that pass for SBC of all things? Methodists or Anglicans I could kinda see... or maybe some kind of radically apostate third-world catholicism... but SBC??? How??? Whaddidjjat???
Unread 03-22-2005, 12:05 AM   #20
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins_fan
Again, the complete inadequacy of all human language when it comes to the divine. Does anyone know if Ancient Hebrew and Ancient Greek have gendered nouns like Spanish and French do?
yes, hebrew does as well. (In fact the word for testes is feminine)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I am so embarrassed reading this.
How old was I? 12?

Nope.... 15.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #22
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk
I am so embarrassed reading this. How old was I? 12? Nope.... 15.
you need to read The Shack

sent from Fiji by coconut mail.
Unread 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
How old was I? 12?

Nope.... 15.
I cringe when I read some of my early posts and I was thirty-three when I made them.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #24
Gone

Quote:
How old was I? 12?

Nope.... 15.
To be fair, you had valid concerns. If your church was considering joining a denomination that advocated or condoned the deprecation of the Pauline epistles from the Pulpit, or had no issue with plagiarized sermons, or the worship of Sophia, or syncretism, or witchcraft, you would have good reason to be worried or angry.

Don't be so hard on 15 year old Thrunk. Many of us were once 15.

Also, parenthood has a way of changing the way you see these things. I hope my kids are as savvy as you were when they're 15.

Terler.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone

Last edited by Ted Logan; 01-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #25
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
As I saw this thread resurrected, I was reading from the beginning. I was thinking "man, I bet Thrash would be embarrassed now" ... and that's how it went.

Ted's post (right above mine) is spot-on, too.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #26
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I'm mostly embarrassed because I really sucked at expressing myself online. I thought it was cool to misspell and exaggerate.

I remember this event quite well. But, I didn't spend enough time with the document. In fact, I didn't look at the document at all, instead believing what others said about the content of it.

This was a very political time among Texas Baptists and has had lasting effects. Maybe some day I will revisit the event and learn a bit more about the nuances of what happened, and how true the document was. I have a feeling that it relied on mischaracterization and deconstextualizing rather than on careful engagement with the 'other' side.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #27
\_(ツ)_/

I was also embarrassed by a post I made 5 minutes ago. So young and naive.
Unread 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm mostly embarrassed because I really sucked at expressing myself online. I thought it was cool to misspell and exaggerate.

I remember this event quite well. But, I didn't spend enough time with the document. In fact, I didn't look at the document at all, instead believing what others said about the content of it.

This was a very political time among Texas Baptists and has had lasting effects. Maybe some day I will revisit the event and learn a bit more about the nuances of what happened, and how true the document was. I have a feeling that it relied on mischaracterization and deconstextualizing rather than on careful engagement with the 'other' side.
In all fairness, there was some heavy gnostic heresy invading evangelicism at that time. Straight up gnosticism.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #29
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
at least you cared and were passionate about it at 15. and lookatcha now, you're going to be dr. thrash.

i think we will ALWAYS look back on things we said when we were younger and cringe...like when we're 80, and looking at our younger selves at 60 or 75.

and since this is theology... i get the value of pointing out the feminine aspects of God's nature, especially because some women and men have had horrific experiences with fathers/men/etc. however, i draw definite lines when it comes to trying to change God's revealed relationship to us (for better or worse, hebrew is gendered and God has revealed Godself in very concrete ways to humanity), and i think rejecting the image of God as father, or insisting on referring to God as a woman, undermines and damages or even prevents someone from healing and understanding/redefining what is a true father. hopefully that makes sense, because it's late and i'm tired. [/theology]

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #30
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
at least you cared and were passionate about it at 15. and lookatcha now, you're going to be dr. thrash.

i think we will ALWAYS look back on things we said when we were younger and cringe...like when we're 80, and looking at our younger selves at 60 or 75.

and since this is theology... i get the value of pointing out the feminine aspects of God's nature, especially because some women and men have had horrific experiences with fathers/men/etc. however, i draw definite lines when it comes to trying to change God's revealed relationship to us (for better or worse, hebrew is gendered and God has revealed Godself in very concrete ways to humanity), and i think rejecting the image of God as father, or insisting on referring to God as a woman, undermines and damages or even prevents someone from healing and understanding/redefining what is a true father. hopefully that makes sense, because it's late and i'm tired. [/theology]
This is so spot on, dalmatians are jealous.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote