Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #61
Dogbert's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Oh yeah...

One guy that totally does not impress me is for the exact opposite reason. Yngwie (Malmsteen, of course) is very overrated IMO.
I saw the G3 Live in Denver DVD, and I have to agree. There was really nothing that distinguished his songs (except he did one on acoustic, but that's it). Yes, his technique is probably unmatched by any guitar player that ever existed, but his speed was more for show than for music. At least, that's how it sounded to me. So I say he's impressive only to a degree.

As for underrated, I'll say Andy Timmons. He's a fantastic player, but he seems to get a lot more credit in Japan and parts of East Asia than he does here. But hey, I've only got the Ear X-tacy album, so quoting me on this probably isn't the best thing to do.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenacen
I saw the G3 Live in Denver DVD, and I have to agree. There was really nothing that distinguished his songs (except he did one on acoustic, but that's it). Yes, his technique is probably unmatched by any guitar player that ever existed, but his speed was more for show than for music. At least, that's how it sounded to me. So I say he's impressive only to a degree.
A good example, methinks, of how perception between two people is so different.

Yngwie, in my opinion, ate Vai and Satriani for lunch in that video.

Oh well, kinda like arguing which color is best.

To each his own!
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerX

To each his own!
I still vote for purple.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I still vote for purple.
YOU ARE WRONG!

Whattaya 'spect from a guy with a guitar shaped like Utah?

Hey... you know if you did a "Michigan" guitar, you'd have to make a doubleneck!
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #65
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Those'll be some odd shaped necks...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #66
The Math

try one shapes like hawaii

and by the wy its green even the tress and the grass agree with me, purple come on
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #67

Quote:
YOU ARE WRONG!
Yeah, right. We all know that Blue is just a Purple wannabe.

Quote:
Whattaya 'spect from a guy with a guitar shaped like Utah?
Don't know. About what I would expect from a guy who named himself after a car that looks like an aquarium.

(Sorry, cheap shot.)

Well, technically, a guy who named himself after a guitar which is named after a car that looks like an aquarium (the mouse ran away with the spoon . . . hey, diddle diddle).

Quote:
Hey... you know if you did a "Michigan" guitar, you'd have to make a doubleneck!
Funny thing. I've always been a big fan of Warr Guitars, and touch guitars in general, and I've debated doing double necks, so I was toying with the idea of a double necked Utah with either a 9 (AEAEADGBE) or 14 (Warr Phalanx) string touch neck, and a regular 6 string neck. (Ironically, I never really cared for 7 Strings because I always thought their strings were too few.)

I'm also leaning towards a Strat motif.

For the record, I never planned on the Utah actually being shaped like the state of Utah. The shape came about by a totally different creative process. However, I couldn't come up with a good name for the model, so, my dad just suggested I call it the Utah, to which I naturally bristled at the notion.

But, in the end, the name stuck.

If I was to do a state shaped guitar, I would do TX, with perhaps a OK version for lefties.

Desperately trying to get this thread back on track . . .

I found a fascinating and revealing character study on Yngwie in this month's issue of Guitar World. It speaks to what has been previously debated. I'll post a quote from it in a bit.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 03-07-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 03-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #68
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Adams
Overrated:

Django Reinhardt
what? what?!

Seriously, who in this thread even knows or has listened to Django? I came into this thread going- "must post about man with barely any fingers and unbelievable skills" and you dash it all on the rocks.

I'd say that in our modern era, he eclipses at least 99.99% of guitarists, is on the level of via/keaggy/etc and did it without all four fingers.

It's quite impressive. Not to mention that no-one under the age of 50 listened to him, unless they are jazz nuts.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2005, 03:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron
I came into this thread going- "must post about man with barely any fingers and unbelievable skills" and you dash it all on the rocks.
Tony Iommi?

Unread 03-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #70
Gone

Quote:
what? what?!

Seriously, who in this thread even knows or has listened to Django? I came into this thread going- "must post about man with barely any fingers and unbelievable skills" and you dash it all on the rocks.

I'd say that in our modern era, he eclipses at least 99.99% of guitarists, is on the level of via/keaggy/etc and did it without all four fingers.

It's quite impressive. Not to mention that no-one under the age of 50 listened to him, unless they are jazz nuts.
I'm not doubting that he's a virtuoso. I agree that he was better than the majority of guitarists throughout the history of the guitar. But I say that he's overrated for the same reason I prefer Miles Davis to Bix Beiderbecke. Was Bix a better player than Miles? Undoubtedly. But this thread is about personal preferences, and I find Django's music boring. The ability to play fast does not necessarily define who is "good," in my opinion.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #71
Dogbert's back!

Quote:

To each his own!
Fair enough. It's just that I prefer more than one color in a picture.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #72
Ba da ba ba ba

Quote:
what? what?!

I find him pretty impressive, but my favorite jazz guitarists are probably Wes Montgomery, Al DiMeola, or Joe Pass.
-Kenny
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote