Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which one should I be pursuing more?
Reading Music 2 14.29%
Music Theory 7 50.00%
Other.. (post it) 3 21.43%
I live in a cave... ooooh.. 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #16
the sun is often out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwatford
Or play more professional type gigs (theatre, shows, etc.)? Be a more rounded musician in general? Then yes. It's harder to communicate when you don't know the language.
This is what I want more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
If you want to be a well-rounded musician, like Lee talked about, you should work on both your ability to read music and your understanding of music theory. Personally, I'd tackle music reading first since there's less to learn, it's easier, and it will help with music theory.
I have a bit of music theory under my belt. Reading music I know how to do but can't really do too fast. Thanks for the advice.

natedawg5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
so much

Work on your speed, then. Ideally, you ought to be able to read written music as fast as you can read written words. Not to say you should be able to PLAY everything you read that fast (sight-reading, which is playing as you read the music, is a very valuable tool, but takes a lot more effort), but you should be able to look at a note (or series / combination of notes) on a staff and know pretty much instantly what it is / they are.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #18
the sun is often out

Quote:
Work on your speed, then. Ideally, you ought to be able to read written music as fast as you can read written words. Not to say you should be able to PLAY everything you read that fast (sight-reading, which is playing as you read the music, is a very valuable tool, but takes a lot more effort), but you should be able to look at a note (or series / combination of notes) on a staff and know pretty much instantly what it is / they are.

In His love,
Nate
Will do, that's what I've been trying to do now, it's not easy yet but I'm working on it.
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #19
so much

I recommend (don't laugh) picking up a hymnal, turning to a random hymn (or just one that you like), then sight-reading through the melody line on your instrument, and finally sight-reading through the bass line on your instrument. This will do two things:

1) It will help your reading speed. Hymns have, in general, very simple melodies and very simple bass lines, most of which are incredibly easy to read. Many are entirely stepwise, and very few use any syncopation whatsoever. Playing through hymns, you'll learn to recognize PATTERNS in the written music (which is what helps you read written words quickly, instant recognization of particular patterns of letters and words), and as you recognize those patterns, your reading speed will increase. Playing both the melody line and the bass line will help you increase fluency reading either clef, and will particularly help you with your chosen instrument, the bass.

2) It will help your sight-reading ability. This is a corrolary to the first benefit. As you begin to learn to read music by patterns rather than by individual notes, you'll be able to play from the music more efficiently than you had before, especially if you've been practicing playing the patterns as you become accustomed to them.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #20
the sun is often out

Quote:
1) It will help your reading speed. Hymns have, in general, very simple melodies and very simple bass lines, most of which are incredibly easy to read. Many are entirely stepwise, and very few use any syncopation whatsoever. Playing through hymns, you'll learn to recognize PATTERNS in the written music (which is what helps you read written words quickly, instant recognization of particular patterns of letters and words), and as you recognize those patterns, your reading speed will increase. Playing both the melody line and the bass line will help you increase fluency reading either clef, and will particularly help you with your chosen instrument, the bass.
So I should try both clefs... on the bass? Or play guitar on the other one?
Quote:
2) It will help your sight-reading ability. This is a corrolary to the first benefit. As you begin to learn to read music by patterns rather than by individual notes, you'll be able to play from the music more efficiently than you had before, especially if you've been practicing playing the patterns as you become accustomed to them.
So instead of reading each note, find the first one and just go from there less by note reading?
And I will definately try a hymnal, we have a few at our house.
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg5280
So I should try both clefs... on the bass? Or play guitar on the other one?

So instead of reading each note, find the first one and just go from there less by note reading?
And I will definately try a hymnal, we have a few at our house.

Read both clefs on your bass (or guitar or whatever). That way, you're learning to read both clefs better. I've had a few occasions when I've been given "bass" parts written in the treble clef. You could (and may have to) transpose the treble clef line down an octave or two to get the notes in a lower position on the bass (talking written pitch here, not sounding pitch), but try to move things around the neck.

One thing I'm trying to get my students who are just learning to read music to see is the visual element of music. When you're sight reading, alot of what you're doing is looking for patterns. From the note you start on, where do you go? Up or down? Is it a step or a skip? What's after that?
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #22
the sun is often out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwateford
One thing I'm trying to get my students who are just learning to read music to see is the visual element of music. When you're sight reading, alot of what you're doing is looking for patterns. From the note you start on, where do you go? Up or down? Is it a step or a skip? What's after that?
Ok, I have been doing this and I was afraid it was a bad idea. And I will try both clefs.
Unread 03-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg5280
Ok, I have been doing this and I was afraid it was a bad idea. And I will try both clefs.
Just don't let yourself rely solely on patterens. You need to know the notes too.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #24
so much

Lee's been very helpful explaining what I meant by my read by pattern and read from the hymnal advice.

I think reading by pattern is the most helpful thing to learn, but you have to be able to read the notes as well. They go hand-in-hand.

There's a great practice tool that my first semester theory professor gave to us in order to increase our note-reading speed, and I found it ridiculously difficult, but it was ridiculously effective as well. Basically, it was just a sheet of staff paper with random whole notes placed along the staves (which extended down the entire paper). He used notes on the staff, as well as up to as many as about five leger lines below/above the staff. Then, he'd have us come in and read off (i.e. "say the notes") any given staff as fast as we could. The sequence of notes was such that it was practically unmemorable, so you HAD to practice actually reading the notes. Also, you couldn't read by pattern because he had placed each successive note at least a fifth apart. I did alright with it, but it really gave some people fits.

I'll see if I can find my copies of the sheet, and I'll scan some copies for you to practice with.

In His love,
Nate

Unread 03-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
the sun is often out

That would be great. Sounds like a useful excersise.