Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > H
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 8 8.33%
2 4 4.17%
3 1 1.04%
4 3 3.13%
5 7 7.29%
6 4 4.17%
7 12 12.50%
8 12 12.50%
9 10 10.42%
10 35 36.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Yellow is stupid.

Send a message via AIM to God's Jedi Send a message via MSN to God's Jedi
Hawk Nelson- Letters to the President

Tracks
1. California
2. Things We Go Through
3. Every Little Thing
4. From Underneath
5. Letters to the President
6. Right Here
7. Recess
8. Take Me
9. Someone Else Before
10. First Time
11. Like a Racecar
12. Late Show
13. 36 Days
14. Long and Lonely Road

For more on Hawk Nelson, click here.

Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...
Green Lantern's light.
God's Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #2

Thumbs up HAWK NELSON ROCKS!!!

Other than Relient K This is like my favorite band ever!!! The Punky style reminds me of Blink 182 more so than any other christian punk band out there! The plain fact is that HAWK NELSON ROCKS!!! I am gonna see them in concert soon, and I am expecting alot!!
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
I am a huge fan of Hawk Nelson, as most people who take the time to talk to me here or in real life quickly learn. This is a great CD and one of only a few in my collection that I listen to regularly. Unfortunetely, I am not going to get to see Hawk Nelson in concert Friday, even though my local radio station was giving away tickets and backstage passes (they're playing after a hockey game. ). But, this is a great CD and I'm looking forward to more HN in the future.
Best songs on the CD are "Letters To The President", "Things We Go Through" and... what was that other cool song??... oh yeah,
"EVERY LITTLE THING"!! (my favorite song right now)

Please ignore this post, I used to be an idiot.
-Taylor

Last edited by mtlmouth; 08-05-2007 at 09:54 PM.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #4

Letters

I don't buy Christian music just because a Christian artist made it. I heard "Every Little Thing" one day on XM Radio, and went to Stage Right, listened to the first five songs and bought it. I can't say this about any band other than Five Iron, but there is not one song on the CD I don't like. Every song is well done. "Letters to the President" is one of the boldest, most well put together pop punk songs I've ever listened to. They have a great, clean sound and they don't overdo it on the harmonies, but they're all well-timed. This is the kind of CD you can put in your player and not take out for months. They will be big. They know how to treat fans and they are energetic and fun in concert. I recommend that everyone rush out and buy their CD and all their T-shirts and stuff. If you like Relient K, Hawk is better. If you like FM Static, Hawk is better. They are the next big thing.
Petdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Too loud for ears.©

Send a message via AIM to IceHawk Send a message via MSN to IceHawk
They are definitely musically talented. The only downside is 80% of their lyrics are about girls and relationships.

"Take you away
From that empty apartment you stay
And forget where the heart is someday
If ever you loved me you'd say
Its okay"

my Blog
IceHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 12StonesDude Send a message via Yahoo to 12StonesDude
Every once in a while a band comes out that not only makes meaningful songs, but also loves to have fun, this is definitely the case with Hawk Nelson. Yes some songs are about girls, but they are written in a positive and lifting way. Letters To The President is an amazing song that makes you think about all the crap in this world, and California makes you just want to surf! lol. All in all this an awesome release, and I love it. I give it a 9. Minus one point becuz Trevor from TFK is EVERYWHERE

How can I be loved by the one, who conquers all I am, my soul, waits for you.-Sick of CHange

Simple Pleasures long forsaken, now you just keep making the same mistakes, and nothing makes sense to you now, you pop the pills all one by one, you might as well be holding a loaded gun, cuz it destroys all you know.-SeventyTimesSeven-my band

They say I'm rare, if being rare is Loving God, life, and being naturally happy, then that is a sad statement.
12StonesDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Be cool. Choose Jesus.

This is one of my all time favorite CDs they did a great job with it, sounds great, love every song... Hawk Nelson Rocks!!!

Man on Fire Ministries 2005
www.xanga.com/crosseyed04
crosseyed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
I need a bigger car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Lover
Other than Relient K This is like my favorite band ever!!! The Punky style reminds me of Blink 182 more so than any other christian punk band out there! The plain fact is that HAWK NELSON ROCKS!!! I am gonna see them in concert soon, and I am expecting alot!!

They don't really sound like Blink, but they have a great punk sound. Actually, I think of Good Charlotte when I hear Hawk Nelson.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
All Hands on Deck

I would have to give a an 8 because Punk isn't my fav, but for a first cd and punk I would give it a 9. Every Little Thing, California, Things we go through, and Letters to the President are pretty sweet!
Switchfoot ,U2 , DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, Anberlin , Mae, Relient K , P.O.D. , Pillar , Creed , Guardian , Styx , Stryper , Stations- [B]TVU, Tri-rock Radio, Radio U, Purevolume, Relevant TV </marquee direction="left" Scroll delay500></Scrollamount="1">

check out my <a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145225">blog</a>

Quotes -"Hope is stronger than it seems"
-Chance (by DC Talk)

-"Red letters kill your disbelief" - Audrey, Start the Revolution (by Anberlin)
HolyRockJfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
Living and Learning

I didn't like it all that much. It was goo, especially for a first CD, but there was very little creative music. There were no solos, difficult intros, etc. I tabbed out EVERY LITTLE THING the first time I tried. They just repeat the chords over and over. But then again I don't really like punk and I am into classic rock, (black sabbath, Hendrix, Clapton).
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
I am the Portuguese Blues

There songs have a very interesting punk melody and I really like the music in their songs. But some of the songs don't make sense.

"You know I’ve heard it all before
Now my eyes they run like faucets
Until my tears are dry

She said we were in love
I take a sip of my water
I guess we’ll carry on at last
She still thinks it’s my fault
And I’m nobody at all
She must have thought it was someone else before"

er...yeah. And the talking at the end? omg.
Unread 06-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
I need a bigger car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerboy
I didn't like it all that much. It was goo, especially for a first CD, but there was very little creative music. There were no solos, difficult intros, etc. I tabbed out EVERY LITTLE THING the first time I tried. They just repeat the chords over and over. But then again I don't really like punk and I am into classic rock, (black sabbath, Hendrix, Clapton).

What are you talking about? They had solos on there. There are solos on "California", "Every Little Thing", and even one on "Recess".
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
HAWK NLSN RCKS

Thumbs up HAWK NELSON ROCKS

Hawk Nelson-needs some growing, sorta like my attitude.

Last edited by texandawg1288; 06-21-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Unread 06-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
Banned

now now, no vulgar name calling you and aero have your own opinions. calling someone names isn't going to make them think any better of the band.

i dunno- it was a well written cd, but i'm not really into indie-punk. i gave it an 8 anyway, because they have a couple of songs i really like. if you love relient k this cd's probly for you
audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #15

I give this CD a 9. I dont' really get why everyone bashes Hawk Nelson. You can tell right away that Jason sings with alot of heart and passion. The melodies and harmonies blend well I think. Every single song on this cd is well crafted and written. There's not a single song they "sluffed" on. I'll be looking forward to checking them out in concert this July.