Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Cbrison
Learning How To Play

I am 16 and have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I don't feel like taking lessons though. I am a very idependent person and would love to learn on my own (of course with advice and tips from others). Is there any good sites that I can go to to learn how to play on my own? If you could e-mail me, that'd be great! Chris.Brison@florencechurch.org

In Christ,
Chris

Cbrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrison
I am 16 and have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I don't feel like taking lessons though. I am a very idependent person and would love to learn on my own (of course with advice and tips from others). Is there any good sites that I can go to to learn how to play on my own? If you could e-mail me, that'd be great! Chris.Brison@florencechurch.org

In Christ,
Chris
Well Chris, I appreciate your perspective and your zeal - the zeal is really important. Enthusiasm is what keeps us plugging away for years and years.

Now I'm going to tell you exactly what you don't want to hear:

Go take some lessons. You don't have to take them forever, and some folks end up being FANTASTIC players by being self-taught, but what you really want to avoid early on is picking up bad habits that you'll have to unlearn later.

Learning a technique right the first time will save you endless hours of practice later unlearning a bad habit... after 26 years of playing, ask me how I know that.

A teacher can help you avoid that pitfall and teach you other things that are hit and miss with folks who are self-taught. The good self-taught players figure everything out eventually, but it definitely takes them longer than if they sat down with a teacher occasionally.

Teachers are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get, so bounce around to a few until you settle on one that suits you.

Alrighty, if none of that made an impression on you, you may consider starting with the lessons on this very site!
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote