Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
Banned
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Instead of hearing him talk favorably about his family and the importance of it in the life of the Church and thinking, "Silly evangelical, you hate your family. In fact, you probably have used birth control!", I tried to be charitable and actually learned something. Amazing what not being an ass all the time can do.
Much wisdom here.

I guess I would be a conservative to the core by many definitions, but I just can't force many many things on people. I will debate vigourously (and I do listen to the others pov as I have grown in my faith over 30 years and changed views many times) and have been accussed of those I debate with in print of being very arrogant (though to see me in person you knwo it is not true--paper and ink also the web makes for a poor way to determine a persons attitude in their view).

Bottom line apart fropm the "fundamentals of the faith" which cannot be compromised w/o danger to the soul the body of Christ is loaded with nmany divergent views. Every one is right and all tthe others are heretical is tthe standard which makes us a bleivers very petty.

But I agree with you ini a large measure- I should not force my views of the "grey" areas on any one, I can implore and discuss why I think it is better but if it is better the other must see it for themselves and grow into it if I was blessed to see it first.

I cannot expect a 3 week old beleiver who loves heavy metal to all of a sudden love hymns, Steve Green and the many other genres of Christian music I love. They need to grow and let the Spirit control more and more of their heart and grow in the bent God leads them, not me.

Reps for you -- conservatism a s a way of life is not bad, but too often it is tried to ber hammered on instead of grown on people.

nolidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
why hello there
 
Dice's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,031
Send a message via AIM to Dice
Quote:
I cannot expect a 3 week old beleiver who loves heavy metal to all of a sudden love hymns, Steve Green and the many other genres of Christian music I love. They need to grow and let the Spirit control more and more of their heart and grow in the bent God leads them, not me.

Reps for you -- conservatism a s a way of life is not bad, but too often it is tried to ber hammered on instead of grown on people.
But see this is kind of what we're talking about. Sure you aren't forcing it, but who is to say it is better/more submissive to the Spirit to listen to your kind of music?
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Auntie Becky
 
Becky's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,105
Send a message via AIM to Becky
Yet do we have a right to say that it's NOT wrong? Dice, it's just as wrong for us to say this is evil, as it is to say it's wrong for someone to say it's not good. If someone TRULY bleieves something is evil, we should not judge them either.

I know I struggled with this at my last church... they were so judgmental it drove me crazzy, and i had to keep myself in check to remember that they are my siblings, and I need to love them, and express even MY beliefs with love to THEM. and I was the "liberal" in that sense.

and yea, it was on the music topic.. and the dress code topic... they were the highest breed of conservatives.
__________________
"Can we ask God what He thinks about that?
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Banned
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
But see this is kind of what we're talking about. Sure you aren't forcing it, but who is to say it is better/more submissive to the Spirit to listen to your kind of music?
Let me make an important distinction here. I was not talking about them listening to Petra or any other Christian heavy metal band , but I was referring to things like KISS, and others like that--there is no glory to God there!

As for Christian music-- I kno wwhat moves my heart to worship and praise God(that after all is the purpose of music).

I also knoiw that there is music in all genres of Chrtisatian sound that does not glorify God (and no I don't have a handy dandy list).

I would just ask someone if they are selecting music because of the sound or the way it moves them to worship. If it is jsut a beat they need to grow. I am eclectic in that I have music that I worship in all genres of Christian music.
nolidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Ridley's Own's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,126
Send a message via MSN to Ridley's Own
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Donny
I think you just blew my mind with a single sentence.
Eh. It happens if you stay inebriated for most of the day.
__________________
Ridley+
Ridley's Own is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
A fan of the lemer[sic]
 
+Donny's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Nowhere, ID
Posts: 17,861
Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Quote:
Let me make an important distinction here. I was not talking about them listening to Petra or any other Christian heavy metal band , but I was referring to things like KISS, and others like that--there is no glory to God there!
Coming from a fan of Tool and Led Zeppelin, I think you are wrong there, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Now, I have no problem with you believing such things are wrong, I just don't like it when it is spoken of in arrogance and without charity. Ultimately, if we disagree, tell me; just don't do it in a demeaning you.
BTW, I don't think you have displayed a bad attitude in this thread.
__________________
"Well, this is extremely interesting," said the Episcopal Ghost. "It's a point of view. Certainly, it's a point of view."
+Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 12:15 AM   #22
why hello there
 
Dice's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,031
Send a message via AIM to Dice
Quote:
Yet do we have a right to say that it's NOT wrong? Dice, it's just as wrong for us to say this is evil, as it is to say it's wrong for someone to say it's not good. If someone TRULY bleieves something is evil, we should not judge them either.
I don't think it's judging them, and no it's not the same. All things are declared good unless God has declared them an exception to the rule. If you want to say something is bad you need to prove it, there is no burden of proof required on the assumption of liberty.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #23
Wow you're sheltered
 
Athanasius's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
I don't think it's judging them, and no it's not the same. All things are declared good unless God has declared them an exception to the rule. If you want to say something is bad you need to prove it, there is no burden of proof required on the assumption of liberty.
Fellas, if you want to debate this...take it to a new thread.
__________________
I've studyed profesy for 20 years and my dad is a paster. The rapture is coming!
Athanasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2