Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Instead of hearing him talk favorably about his family and the importance of it in the life of the Church and thinking, "Silly evangelical, you hate your family. In fact, you probably have used birth control!", I tried to be charitable and actually learned something. Amazing what not being an ass all the time can do.
Much wisdom here.

I guess I would be a conservative to the core by many definitions, but I just can't force many many things on people. I will debate vigourously (and I do listen to the others pov as I have grown in my faith over 30 years and changed views many times) and have been accussed of those I debate with in print of being very arrogant (though to see me in person you knwo it is not true--paper and ink also the web makes for a poor way to determine a persons attitude in their view).

Bottom line apart fropm the "fundamentals of the faith" which cannot be compromised w/o danger to the soul the body of Christ is loaded with nmany divergent views. Every one is right and all tthe others are heretical is tthe standard which makes us a bleivers very petty.

But I agree with you ini a large measure- I should not force my views of the "grey" areas on any one, I can implore and discuss why I think it is better but if it is better the other must see it for themselves and grow into it if I was blessed to see it first.

I cannot expect a 3 week old beleiver who loves heavy metal to all of a sudden love hymns, Steve Green and the many other genres of Christian music I love. They need to grow and let the Spirit control more and more of their heart and grow in the bent God leads them, not me.

Reps for you -- conservatism a s a way of life is not bad, but too often it is tried to ber hammered on instead of grown on people.

nolidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
why hello there

Send a message via AIM to Dice
Quote:
I cannot expect a 3 week old beleiver who loves heavy metal to all of a sudden love hymns, Steve Green and the many other genres of Christian music I love. They need to grow and let the Spirit control more and more of their heart and grow in the bent God leads them, not me.

Reps for you -- conservatism a s a way of life is not bad, but too often it is tried to ber hammered on instead of grown on people.
But see this is kind of what we're talking about. Sure you aren't forcing it, but who is to say it is better/more submissive to the Spirit to listen to your kind of music?
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Auntie Becky

Send a message via AIM to Becky
Yet do we have a right to say that it's NOT wrong? Dice, it's just as wrong for us to say this is evil, as it is to say it's wrong for someone to say it's not good. If someone TRULY bleieves something is evil, we should not judge them either.

I know I struggled with this at my last church... they were so judgmental it drove me crazzy, and i had to keep myself in check to remember that they are my siblings, and I need to love them, and express even MY beliefs with love to THEM. and I was the "liberal" in that sense.

and yea, it was on the music topic.. and the dress code topic... they were the highest breed of conservatives.
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
But see this is kind of what we're talking about. Sure you aren't forcing it, but who is to say it is better/more submissive to the Spirit to listen to your kind of music?
Let me make an important distinction here. I was not talking about them listening to Petra or any other Christian heavy metal band , but I was referring to things like KISS, and others like that--there is no glory to God there!

As for Christian music-- I kno wwhat moves my heart to worship and praise God(that after all is the purpose of music).

I also knoiw that there is music in all genres of Chrtisatian sound that does not glorify God (and no I don't have a handy dandy list).

I would just ask someone if they are selecting music because of the sound or the way it moves them to worship. If it is jsut a beat they need to grow. I am eclectic in that I have music that I worship in all genres of Christian music.
nolidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Ridley's Own
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Donny
I think you just blew my mind with a single sentence.
Eh. It happens if you stay inebriated for most of the day.
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #21
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Quote:
Let me make an important distinction here. I was not talking about them listening to Petra or any other Christian heavy metal band , but I was referring to things like KISS, and others like that--there is no glory to God there!
Coming from a fan of Tool and Led Zeppelin, I think you are wrong there, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Now, I have no problem with you believing such things are wrong, I just don't like it when it is spoken of in arrogance and without charity. Ultimately, if we disagree, tell me; just don't do it in a demeaning you.
BTW, I don't think you have displayed a bad attitude in this thread.
Unread 01-21-2005, 12:15 AM   #22
why hello there

Send a message via AIM to Dice
Quote:
Yet do we have a right to say that it's NOT wrong? Dice, it's just as wrong for us to say this is evil, as it is to say it's wrong for someone to say it's not good. If someone TRULY bleieves something is evil, we should not judge them either.
I don't think it's judging them, and no it's not the same. All things are declared good unless God has declared them an exception to the rule. If you want to say something is bad you need to prove it, there is no burden of proof required on the assumption of liberty.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #23
Wow you're sheltered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
I don't think it's judging them, and no it's not the same. All things are declared good unless God has declared them an exception to the rule. If you want to say something is bad you need to prove it, there is no burden of proof required on the assumption of liberty.
Fellas, if you want to debate this...take it to a new thread.