Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
Earth's Age

I am in 8th grade. In science class we have discussed geologic time, contenintal drift, and many other things that point to a relatively old Earth. I have always been told that the Earth is no older than 10,000 years. I am confused. Im not sure what to believe in. Currently, I believe that the Earth is about 10,000 years old. I think that the flood has thrown off many dating methods and other scientifical evidence that is used to support Earth's age at billions of years. However, I am not sure at all. Someone help please.

Note- I want this in Theology because I want the answer to be supported by the Bible.

Unread 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Plays Guitar

Send a message via Skype™ to Jjesus Freak
Dr. Ken ham,( look him up, he's extremely good with this stuff)

Said that the earth is about 6,000 years old. He gave facts from the bible to support all of his stuff but I forgot what they where.

Seriously, check out his books and stuff, they really helped me alot.

www.icr.com , www.answersingenesis.com will help you to.

Good luck!

I'm going out to play, call it whatever you want.

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, Inventor of TV
Jjesus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Be happy

Counting up the years in the genealogies gives you somthing like 6000 years.
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertooth181
I am in 8th grade. In science class we have discussed geologic time, contenintal drift, and many other things that point to a relatively old Earth. I have always been told that the Earth is no older than 10,000 years. I am confused. Im not sure what to believe in. Currently, I believe that the Earth is about 10,000 years old. I think that the flood has thrown off many dating methods and other scientifical evidence that is used to support Earth's age at billions of years. However, I am not sure at all. Someone help please.

Note- I want this in Theology because I want the answer to be supported by the Bible.
Note that Adam was created as a full grown man. Would the Earth not also have been created with the appearance of age? I mean, a new earth wouldn't have the proper levels of oxygen and all that. So an "adult-aged" earth is a good thing.
Lightknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertooth181

You want support from the bible, ok, in Genesis 1.2 (KJV) "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

The word "was" = hayah (Hebrew) = became, strongs#1961. This means something must have happened, because in:

Isaiah 45.18 (KJV) "For thus saith the LORD That created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else."

Most scholars believe that Genesis 1.2 was what is refered to as, the katabol, or satan's overthrow, and in between Isaiah and Genesis was more than 6,000 years, more like a couple of million?..but hey, there is your documentation. Now you can make up you're own mind. (I believe the couple of million)
Unread 01-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
Gone

Please stay on-topic this time. The question is the Biblical age of the Earth.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Adams
Please stay on-topic this time. The question is the Biblical age of the Earth.
The Bible does not give a biblical age of the earth. They are asking how long things have been here in existence, not necessarily the age.
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Gone

That's what I meant. My point is simply that the poster requested that this be answered in Theology, so that's where it ought to be discussed.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Adams
That's what I meant. My point is simply that the poster requested that this be answered in Theology, so that's where it ought to be discussed.
alright, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

My reply to the poster, because God didn't create anything at age "0" that we know of, it is unlikely that the world started at 0. That all the rocks were untouched and that the beaches were still completely rock isn't likely what happened. The appearance of age was very likely for the earth. All the studies on the generations after the fall of man will tell you is how long the earth has been in existence. This of course excludes all the time between the creation of man and the fall of man, which we don't know for sure. Considering that Adam and Eve were immortal before the fall, it isn't a sure thing that those years of age were counted in the final total as they didn't age.
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
doo wop.

Send a message via AIM to JESOd Send a message via MSN to JESOd Send a message via Yahoo to JESOd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightknight
The Bible does not give a biblical age of the earth. They are asking how long things have been here in existence, not necessarily the age.
just curious.. but i tried to use this argument against an old earth creatoinist... and when looking this up it just said man.. not full gorwn or anything just man...is there really any evidence to say he was a full grown man? I asked my hebrew friend about this and he said that it would normally be specific between child and full grown man but this just meant man in just the general gender sese of it.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESOd
just curious.. but i tried to use this argument against an old earth creatoinist... and when looking this up it just said man.. not full gorwn or anything just man...is there really any evidence to say he was a full grown man? I asked my hebrew friend about this and he said that it would normally be specific between child and full grown man but this just meant man in just the general gender sese of it.
Two things, first even if Adam was created as a child, it would still be older than he actually was (0 seconds old). Second, we see that the duty adam was made to fulfill was something that a baby could not do. And that is to tend God's garden.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Then there's this whole thing, with Eve. Notice that the word for woman ('ishshah) is definitive as the opposite of man (`adam). So both are defined by eachother. She is his wife.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
doo wop.

Send a message via AIM to JESOd Send a message via MSN to JESOd Send a message via Yahoo to JESOd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightknight
Two things, first even if Adam was created as a child, it would still be older than he actually was (0 seconds old). Second, we see that the duty adam was made to fulfill was something that a baby could not do. And that is to tend God's garden.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Then there's this whole thing, with Eve. Notice that the word for woman ('ishshah) is definitive as the opposite of man (`adam). So both are defined by eachother. She is his wife.
well.. would it be possible for him to be formed at zero... then adam grew to the point to be able to tend the garden and that's when God took him to tend the garden?

just asking... cause he does that to me, too. ><

::cough:: plaidchild
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
well.. would it be possible for him to be formed at zero... then adam grew to the point to be able to tend the garden and that's when God took him to tend the garden?

just asking... cause he does that to me, too. ><

::cough:: plaidchild
If this all happened in a day, no. God created both man and woman on the same day.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
doo wop.

well he's old earth creationist... so basically his days are not really morning and night day.. it's more like years i guess.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
well he's old earth creationist... so basically his days are not really morning and night day.. it's more like years i guess.
But in the Hebrew it literally means one day. Do not forget what I am saying. Even if it only had taken one day, the earth would still probably not have been made at age zero but rather with the appearance of age like man and the animals and the fauna. Remember that God created trees, not seeds, plants, not seeds, ect.