Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #31
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
It's a stickied thread, so it's not really reviving it. Go ahead.

Unread 02-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #32

well u already put my post up here dude lol

cant post the same thin twice
The Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #33

Drum Tuning

Reading through this post on drum tuning. I was taught how to tune drums by Roy Burns from Aquarian. I use to have an Aquarian endorsement back in the day and learned alot from Roy. Anyway, he taught me a theory that I will always live by when tuning drums. Every drum is made of different materials and reverberates at a point in which those materials start to do their function. The diameter of the drum determines the frequency range of the drum and the depth determines pitch depth along with the bottom head. As you progress through tightening the lugs in sequence (cross patterned), the head will build tension of course and the materials in the shells will at some point start to reverberate and get active. You can test this by leaving your mounting nut loose or something and as you approach that frequency that magically starts to make the shell vibrate like crazy, the loose hardware will be bouncing all over the place. At this point the drum is in tune with itself and the tonal note value is irrelavent to the drum being in tune with itself.
Tune the top head first, then tune the bottom. The bottom determines whether the decay will go up in pitch (bottom head tighter than top) or down in pitch (traditional, when the bottom head is looser than the top). Looser not by much and the same resonate theory applies it is just at the lower end of the reverberation point. You have to set the drum on carpet or somting to dampen the opposite head being tuned. Matching the top head tension and the bottom will cancel the drums reverberation and a dead tone will be the result.
When all drums are in tune with themselves, they natural diameters, depths and drumhead tensions will perfectly tune the kit to whatever the materials are made to do.
TUNE THE DRUMS TO THE DRUMS THEMSELVES.
TBoz
TBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #34

Drum Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percman View Post
Hey all, noob present.

My snare rattled for a long time, but I made the five dollar investment of studio rings, which took care of some of that rattling. Aaah studio rings. . .Also, (and this is only if you want your snare to have an almost over tight, SMACK sound, like I do :-D) crank your snare almost all the way down. This prevents rattle just from the tension. Also, you might check your small tom's pitch, because if its on the same pitch with your snare, it'll cause it to rattle something aweful.

The cloth thing does rule, I do that too. Paper towels work too, I found out.

Regarding the question about heads, I love Evans heads for my toms, ecspecially the Hydraulic heads. I'm trying out the G2's right now, and they're working great.

For my snare, Remo. The Weatherking coated is my personal favorite. :-)
Hey Percman,
I have the Evans hydraulic heads on now and some no name clear resonators on my toms. I was thinking of switching to the G2 clears on the batter. What difference do you notice now?
mrockrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #35
Jamming with the Lamb

Shalom!

This has been a great thread to read. Though I have played the set for a long time, I never took too much interest in the technical aspects of tuning. I want to be a better technical drummer now, so I am going try the tuning-by-3rds method and see how it works for improving my synagogue's set.

As a cheat, I am going to pick up a torque tuner wrench.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #36
Jamming with the Lamb

I was on set Friday at Synagogue, so I got there early to finally tune the drum set with my Chromatic tuner. What a world of difference a consistent tuning method makes!

I tuned the top heads a 3rd apart. Snare D, Hi-Tom G, Mid-Tom B, Low Tom D. I ran out of time and did not the get the bass drum tuned. Now, for each individual drum, I tuned the bottom head a 5th apart from the top head. This create a nice sound each drum, and in doing a roll-around, the whole set sounded much nicer. I am so glad that I made this effort.

I learned that a little twist of the nut, when done to all 8, made for large leaps in the note my tuner would detect. I also learned that my bass drum produces too low of a sound for my chromatic tuner and I am going to have to audibly tune it until it matches the hi tom, but an octave or two lower, of course.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #37

I hope its ok to still post in this thread even though hasn't seen much action in 4 years. Anyways, I have always been horrible at tuning drums. I have watched literally every vid on youtube and still haven't quite got the sound that I wanted. So a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this guys How To Tune Your Toms - Quick & EASY w/ Rob Brown - YouTube video. Today I decided to give his method a try and I must say my drums sound amazing. His method is straight forward and easy to follow. I just thought I'd share the link in case it can help someone out. I also used his method for tuning my snare and sounds good as well.

Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote