Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #16
so much

Basically, it's all but physically impossible to tune a double-headed drum (one head on each side) to a precise pitch, because of the way that the vibrations of the two heads interact with each other. If you only have a single head, then it's possible. At least, that's my understanding.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #17
Tab Administrator

Send a message via AIM to E-Dogg777 Send a message via MSN to E-Dogg777 Send a message via Yahoo to E-Dogg777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Basically, it's all but physically impossible to tune a double-headed drum (one head on each side) to a precise pitch, because of the way that the vibrations of the two heads interact with each other. If you only have a single head, then it's possible. At least, that's my understanding.

In His love,
Nate
By muting one and tuning the other and vice-versa, could they be tuned to the same pitch that way or does that not work?

*I wonder what it would sound like if you tuned your drum heads a 5th apart (top head 5th above bottom head) and then a 3rd to the next drum (top head 5th above bottom head) and so on...*
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #18
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Dogg777
By muting one and tuning the other and vice-versa, could they be tuned to the same pitch that way or does that not work?
Well, the two heads could be tuned to the same pitch in theory, but when you hit one of them, it's going to affect the way that the other one is vibrating, thereby affecting its pitch as well. If you did get them tuned to exactly the same pitch, you'd probably have some crazy overtones going on.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #19
the sun is often out

Gratzi.
natedawg5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #20
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Let it be known that it was +Donny, not the other unnamed mod, who merged and stickied the relevant threads.
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #21
Tab Administrator

Send a message via AIM to E-Dogg777 Send a message via MSN to E-Dogg777 Send a message via Yahoo to E-Dogg777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Well, the two heads could be tuned to the same pitch in theory, but when you hit one of them, it's going to affect the way that the other one is vibrating, thereby affecting its pitch as well. If you did get them tuned to exactly the same pitch, you'd probably have some crazy overtones going on.

In His love,
Nate
I guess this would be true....I hadn't really thought about it having to be perfect but it really would...well that's cool....thanks alot
Unread 02-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Dogg777
I have a simple 3-tom set-up and was wondering what I need to tune them to...is there a certain note or just whatever you want to tune them to...I know how to tune them just not what to tune them to...thanks in advance for your input.
Hey bro, i'm a new member to the site, and i was browsing through the drums and percussion forum, because i'm a percussionist and drummer myself. I've found that when tuning my toms, i like to loosen both heads up, and slowly tighten one up at a time. In doing so, i want to be sure that i apply the same amount of turns of my tension rods on both the top and bottom heads. When dealing with either head, i like to set my tom where the bottom/top head is resting on my knee, allowing no room for resonance of the bottom/top head while i'm tuning one of the heads. I generally like to tighten them up to where i get the best resonance out of my tom, and then match the same pitch on the opposite head. By allowing room for maximum resonance, you're ensuring the best natural tamber(tone) of your drums. Now this is just my method, take it or leave it. I came across it through experience, and it works great for me. Tuning is all about personal preference. On my bass, i like to loosen my resonant head all the way, and tighten all of the lugs finger-tight, then on my batter head, i tighten it up to where i get the best "Thud" without being too loose. If you want more tone out of your bass, simply tighten your resonance head more, but be warned, it does not take very much tightening to raise the pitch, so once again, it's all about experimenting. On my snare, i like to tune it with my snares off, and tune it like a tom, but with one difference. Unlike the toms, i tune the bottom head of my snare a 5th or higher, above my batter head. This helps eliminate the added resonance and ring you receive from snares. When i get a nice warm tom sound, i turn my snares back on, but loosen them all the way. Then i slowly tighten them back up, allowing me to get a nice snare sound in very sensitive areas when i play soft by the edge, but not too loosed to where it sounds loose when i hit it louder. Yet again, it's all about your flavor in sound and how you want it to be. Something else to help in your tuning is to invest in good heads. There are several heads on the market to choose from, and i'm sure you can consult other musicians about what to get for the music you are wanting to play. This is just my way of tuning, God's allowed me to pick it up, and now i'm offering it out to whomever wishes to try it. I hope this helps you out!!!

Keep Playing for Him!!!

Shudamaka
shudamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #23

Here's THE link for tuning.
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id5.html

Enjoy!
cjcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #24

Drum Tuning

I found a rather unusual way to tune my toms. I mute one head using whatever (pillow, set it on carpet, etc.) and then sing a note really loud right at the drum head, varying the note until the head resonates. I can then set each head, separately, to whatever I want within its tuning range. It doesn't even take that long, but mind you, you have to be able to remember the note if you want to match the heads. To get each lug to match, lightly put your hand in the center of the head and play with a stick about an inch away from each lug. Once they're matched, then get the head about to the right pitch, then match again and fine tune. Takes some time, but worth it.

If you tune both heads to the same pitch, you get really long resonance (imo too long), if you tune the lower head higher it will raise overall pitch a bit and make it stuffy, and then my favorite is to have the lower head just a touch looser. Then you get a bit of resonance, good tension on the top head (helpful for speed and fills and such), and you can tune the drum by just changing the top head, at least within a range.

Between drums (I use four toms), I liked tuning them in one of two ways - one was from a low E (like on a bass) from the low tom, up by M3, m3, and P4 so it made an E chord if you played them all at once. The other way (my current setup) is E, A, B, E, like that other poster mentioned where it was like a I-IV-V blues progression. That's what sounds good with my set, though - different toms sound better tuned differently, so make sure your drum is where it's comfortable.

Bass drum - best advice I ever got was to have the "audience side" head relatively tight, put some soft junk inside the drum (I have a coat liner, an old pair of slacks, and two stuffed animals in mine just for fun), and then have the "drummer side" head quite loose - about a half turn on each lug past where you can see ripples and that's all. You then get no pitch from the drum, and just a nice percussive smack with some bass to it. Takes a little fine tuning of the drummer side head and the pedal to get the feel right, but I like it.

I know I rambled, but hey, I can't get to sleep and I wish someone had told me all this a few years ago when I decided to figure it out for myself. I know there are lots of techniques out there - please share! I'd love to have some other things to try!
asmith777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #25
I love music!

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy4Christ14
I really didn't have a clue how to tune my drums, and I still don't really like them, but I don't have the money to invest in good heads yet. My toms had too much echoing to them so I taped a little piece of cloth on the insides of them, and that made them a lot better, but I still don't like the sounds of them, or my bass. Plus, playing the bass or any tom makes my snare rattle! What do I do about that?
Crazy4Christ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #26
Percussion is your friend

Location: Bois D'arc MO. (Its pronounced Bo Dark, but since the population is well below 200 people, you will never need to know that.)
Send a message via Yahoo to Percman
Hey all, noob present.

My snare rattled for a long time, but I made the five dollar investment of studio rings, which took care of some of that rattling. Aaah studio rings. . .Also, (and this is only if you want your snare to have an almost over tight, SMACK sound, like I do :-D) crank your snare almost all the way down. This prevents rattle just from the tension. Also, you might check your small tom's pitch, because if its on the same pitch with your snare, it'll cause it to rattle something aweful.

The cloth thing does rule, I do that too. Paper towels work too, I found out.

Regarding the question about heads, I love Evans heads for my toms, ecspecially the Hydraulic heads. I'm trying out the G2's right now, and they're working great.

For my snare, Remo. The Weatherking coated is my personal favorite. :-)
Percman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #27
Banned

I usually use the "dampen one side and tune the other" method, and I have a pretty good ear (I can sing on key and can tune a guitar quite well), but I don't know what I'm listening for. It seems like when you hit a tom head, it does not stay on one note, but starts on a note and slurs down, therefore making it extremely difficult to tune to a specific note. Also, what should the note relationship of the head and resonant side of a drum be?
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to liveforgod33ad
can you help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Drummer
There is no note value they are to be tuned to, anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the concept of two drum heads. Now the idea is to tune the toms to 3rds, high to mid is a 3rd, and mid to floor is a 3rd (high to floor being a 5th). Although this does not have to be exact.
I just started drumming and I have no idea of what you mean about the 3rd,mid 3rd, and 5th. Is there another way you sould explain how to tune the drums?
liveforgod33ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
Poor Old Lu

Send a message via AIM to king91 Send a message via MSN to king91
I just use a drum dial to tune mine.

king91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #30

Tuning Drums

yea, so i know theres already a thread like this

i didnt wanna revive wat looked like a dead thread

BUT ANYWAYS

yea i know how to turn toms im just wonderin if u can tune ur times in like