Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Which acoustic? Which pickup?

I'm looking at purchasing the Yahama LL-6 or a Blueridge BR-70 , which do you think i should buy and why? Also neither have electronics so which does anyone have any acoustic pickup system suggestions? My budget would be around $300-400 Canadian which is $250-330 USD.

DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
"JESUS LIVES"

i believe you would be better off choosing the Blueridge, because i have heard better reviews on them and none on the Yam. i particularly do not like Yamaha's or Ovations so i my be alittle bias.

For a bone in the soundhole i would go with the Dean Markly Mag because of it's price and they make soundhole covers for that mag to fit in-and i own one.

great choosing for you-it is always a fun time choosing a new guitar-even if it's your first or thirty first.
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
tough choice. I have been playing Yamaha acoustics since the start. Amazing guitars for the money. However, Blueridge is new to the market and seems to be coming out with some nice products, I heard their tone is amazing. I can only judge based on what I have played, and I have played a number of Yamahas and own one myself. I'd say they would be your best bet and their lifetime warranty is unbeatable. I heard a friend talking about a friend and he said his old beat up Yamaha (not worth a heck of a lot) broke its head stalk and a Yamaha dealer took him into a show room and said pick out anyone you want, he walked out with a $1000 guitar. Also Yamaha guitars have a unique feel and tonality. They also age beautifully and stay in tune well. If I had played a Blueridge I could be of more service to you Daryl but I don't think you can go wrong. I also must add Blueridge has the looks, if it plays aswell as it looks I think you'd be set. As for pickups I'm not the best authority for acoustics, I always mic mine.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
uhh

I have no opinion on the guitar part of the question. I have only played one Yamaha acoustic and I didn't really think it was for me. Anyway, I didn't install a pickup in my acoustic guitar. I thought that it would be better to buy one with a pickup built in. However, I didn't do that either. I bought a Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus sound hole pickup and love it. I am lobbying for Dean Markley.
i'llcondescend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
...anybody want a neaput?

Send a message via AIM to BurntHombre
Absolutely the Blueridge. I love Blueridge guitars. And the BR-70 has solid Brazilian rosewood sides and back -- something very unusual in that price range. I think it even has scalloped braces. You get a lot of booming sound out of that guitar. Go for it!

As for electronics, the only acoustic electronics I have a lot of experience with are in the $100 range. I'm sure there's some better stuff in the $250 range that you're shopping in. Good luck.
BurntHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to bmphan
Blueridges sound great, but they have some really cheesy appointments; the silvery logo on the headstock is too loud (visually loud, that is ). Depends on how much you care about that stuff; to me, plain is fine, but if it's going to be fancy, it ought to be tasteful.

Have you considered Seagulls? Great Canadian guitar, excellent sound for the price.

As for pickups, take a look at these two sites;

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

http://www.fingerpick.com/pickups.htm

they review (with soundclips and videos) all the major pickup systems. I've heard great things about the M1, but to really dial in a great sound you should also get the LR Baggs PADI, a DI/EQ box. That whole system would run about $300 by itself.

I have the PUTW Polymag, which is surprisingly acoustic, and has a very small footprint. However, it does sound slightly stuffy; I'll probably pick up the PADI at some point to open up the sound.

The Dimarzio Reference acoustic has gotten some fantastic reviews, and it's only ~$85 US.
bmphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
4Glory

Yamaha acoustics have never failed me (mid to higher end) fabulous tone for the money and good quality.
4Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
does not look like this

Location: (lo-ka-shun) n. That which is located; a tract of land designated in place
Send a message via AIM to someone13
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data3/

This sight has a bunch of different descriptions, opinions, etc (some of them rather in depth) I personally find the Radio Shack Peizo buzzers rather amusing. I have yet to get to radio shack to get one but when I'll do I'll try it out and tell ya how It works.
Unread 01-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
What do you guys think of the Blueridge with a LR Baggs Dual Source? I like the idea of a mic to "naturalize" the transducer/piezo? Any other that blend a mic with a transducer/piezo?
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #10

I've got LR Baggs electronics on my Seagull S6+ Cedar and it sounds 100% natural.. very solid.. good bet with that

-Kevin

Kevin, 18; McHenry, IL
Kevin071586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylB
What do you guys think of the Blueridge with a LR Baggs Dual Source? I like the idea of a mic to "naturalize" the transducer/piezo? Any other that blend a mic with a transducer/piezo?
Dual source is definitely the way to go. I've got Baggs' Element Active pickup which, I believe, can be upgraded to a dual input. Baggs makes a quality product.

If you end up getting this rig, you must post some sound clips for us.
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #12

This might sound like a stupid question.... Why don't you buy an Acoustic with the pickups aready built in... For what you are spending you might be able to find a nice buy...
Amps - Tech21 PE60
Leviathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre
the BR-70 has solid Brazilian rosewood sides and back
I really doubt its Brazilian its proboly Indian, not that thats bad, but you never see brazilian rosewoods for under a few thousand dollars.

-Trey
Unread 01-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar MC
I really doubt its Brazilian its proboly Indian, not that thats bad, but you never see brazilian rosewoods for under a few thousand dollars.
We're both partly right. A second glance shows that the BR-70 has laminate brazilian rosewood. So, not quite as exciting as solid brazilian, nor is it EIR. But it is pretty.

The BR-280 has solid Brazilian rosewood, but it sells for over $2000.
Unread 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre
We're both partly right. A second glance shows that the BR-70 has laminate brazilian rosewood.
Where did you find that? I cant imagine using such a fine and hard to get wood as a laminate,

-Trey