Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #76

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
sorry, I don't mean to flame any particular person, especially not jenacen, I simply feel that this is a pointless waste of time. Perhaps me protesting is also a pointless waste of time as well, haha.

My previous post is not aimed at just one member, but rather at the relative stupidity of the thread (in my mind, but to each their own, I've always been good about stirring up some controversies around here...)

Unread 05-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #77
ERG guitars > All

well I thought it was kinda cool, because since I may not get to play with you guys, reading what your good at kind of gives me an imagination as to what kind of player everyone is. Steve is right that someone could blow smoke and lie about their virtuosity to try to impress but I dont think anyone has done that yet. Besides I dont think anyone would believe it if someone gave themselves all 9's and 10's.

controversies....yeah....I got in trouble from steve about talking up extended range off topic.....so yeah mmmhmmm back on topic now......
Forged by Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #78
Dogbert's back!

*brushes off the ashes*

You do sound a little bit cynical in your responses here...

Well hey, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. Most of the things we do are useless anyways, so why would this really be any worse? Besides, all work and no play... not for me.

Well hey, I can say I got something good out of doing this; I'm sorry that you didn't. I'm mostly just hoping to provide a little food for thought to people here.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenacen View Post
Well hey, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it. Most of the things we do are useless anyways, so why would this really be any worse? Besides, all work and no play... not for me.
Generally when weighing options I try to choose things that would be an improvement rather than "not being any worse" but to each his own.

I would agree with your sentiment towards working and playing as well. However I feel that actually practicing the guitar is a rather pleasurable way to pass time, it may not always be fun, but 9 times out of 10 I find it rather enjoyable if not down right pleasurable.
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to xevan
Name: Evan Sharp
Years playing: 3ish
Why did you start playing: because I heard the intro on Happy Gilmore and fell in love w/ Lynyrd Skynyrd... and it was a must for me to learn Tuesdays Gone.
Biggest influences: Everythin but mostly Jazz, Blues, Powermetal
Perfect pitch (yes or no): yes
------------------------
Scaled from 1-10, 1= no idea, 5= the average guitarist level, 10= virtuoso-level
Vibrato: 9
Hammer-ons: 7
Pull-offs: 6
Trills: 6
Tapping: 8
Bends: 8
Palm muting: 10
Fret-hand muting: 8
Slurs: 7
Alternate picking: 6
Open chord changing: 9
Improvising: 9
xevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #81
The Math

I think it is amazing that people playing 3-5 years are already at the virtuoso level of playing. Is it just me or is something up with that? I mean the best i was going to rank myself on anything was a 6, and that was picking up the guitar and putting it on. I was comparing myself to Brad Paisley. But come on guys, I have heard a lot of you play, and many of you are very good, but you are far from being close to virtuoso of the guitars like Johnson, Vai, Satrani.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #82

Name: Rebel
Years playing: 1 and a half
Why did you start playing: I'm required to learn an instrument by my parents, I played flute and hated it. When I started listening to rock I knew I wouldn't play 99% of my favorite songs on flute. I picked up guitar and the rest is history.
Biggest influences: rock (Audio Adrenaline, Switchfoot), classic rock (Boston, Led Zeppelin), metal (Disciple, Haste the Day, Demon Hunter)
Perfect pitch (yes or no): Yes, I guess

Vibrato: 6
Hammer-ons: 7
Pull-offs: 6
Trills: 6
Tapping: 4
Bends: 7, maybe 8
Palm muting: 8 at least
Fret-hand muting: 5
Slurs: 6
Open chord changing: 7
Improvising: 7

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 04:23 AM   #83
major 4th to a minor 4th

I thought I was at a healthy 5-7 last year in most techniques. Now? I've gotten better and I would probably still rate myself as just above average. I'm sorry Jenacen, but I've got to agree with thesteve and with Hellfighter (although not quite to the extent of calling it stupid). It seems a bit redundant. Surely we can spend this time improving, unless you are by tying with your picking hand and practicing scales with the other. That might be why CGR is full of spelling mistakes?
telecasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 05:25 AM   #84
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Red face

Name: Bobby Simcox
Years playing: 30 yrs
Why did you start playing: got bit by the guitar bug and never looked back!!!
Biggest influences: Everybody
Perfect pitch:No, i'm not a salesman

i'm a professional guitar player!!! i make enough to stay skinny!!!
Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #85
ERG guitars > All

^ that right there is the only guy on here that should get virtuoso marks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iea2RdXrQjs

Thats awesome to see you on here

Your guitar tone in that clip is awesome. You must start a gear thread and tell me about your stuff.

PM sent

Last edited by Forged by Fire; 05-25-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Unread 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #86
Just Passin' Thru!!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged by Fire View Post
^ that right there is the only guy on here that should get virtuoso marks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iea2RdXrQjs

Thats awesome to see you on here

Your guitar tone in that clip is awesome. You must start a gear thread and tell me about your stuff.
uh....er....um....thx,Bro,You Humble me!!!

people have described me as a "virtuoso", but i just view myself as a lil wanker that's been playing way too long for my own good!!!

Honestly, i'm just here to hopefully help my Brothers and Sisters get closer to Jesus, and hopefully, get closer to their playing goals!!!

as far as equipment goes, i'm just a Line6 digital Philistine!!! The amp in those clips was just one of the first generation Flextones!!!

i hope that helps!!!
Bobby Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #87
ERG guitars > All

Hey alotta guys are going line 6. Flextone is not a bad amp at all. Im thinking about going to a rack with just a rocktron prophesy and a poweramp myself.

Those guitars are special, Ill tell you that and I wanna know more. PM sent

Well whenever you can help a brother with some sweeping lessons. Im down with that.
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #88
Dogbert's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasting View Post
I'm sorry Jenacen, but I've got to agree with thesteve and with Hellfighter (although not quite to the extent of calling it stupid). It seems a bit redundant. Surely we can spend this time improving, unless you are by tying with your picking hand and practicing scales with the other. That might be why CGR is full of spelling mistakes?
Well hey, I'm fine with that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing things like this just for fun. That's pretty much the only reason to be doing it.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #89
major 4th to a minor 4th

Quote:
Well hey, I'm fine with that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing things like this just for fun. That's pretty much the only reason to be doing it.
Thats cool and I am totally for that. Rating myself never was all that fun personally. Another year of counselling needed...
telecasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #90
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Name:
Years playing: 3-4
Why did you start playing: Jelouse of my sister (who was taking lessons)
Biggest influences: Jon Forman and local people
Perfect pitch (yes or no): no
------------------------
Scaled from 1-10, 1= no idea, 5= the average guitarist level, 10= virtuoso-level
Vibrato: 3
Hammer-ons: 4
Pull-offs:3
Trills:2
Tapping: 4
Bends:5
Palm muting: 7
Fret-hand muting: 6
Slurs: 6
Open chord changing: 8
Improvising:4