Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > R
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 5 2.45%
2 0 0%
3 1 0.49%
4 2 0.98%
5 0 0%
6 4 1.96%
7 9 4.41%
8 19 9.31%
9 55 26.96%
10 109 53.43%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #1

Relient K - MmHmm

Tracks
1. The One I'm Waiting For
2. Be My Escape
3. High Of 75
4. I So Hate Consequences
5. The Only Thing Worse Than Beating A Dead Horse Is Betting on One
6. My Girls Ex- Boyfriend
7. More Than Useless
8. Which To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet
9. Let It All Out
10. Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
11. Maintain Consciousness
12. This Week The Trend
13. Life After Death & Taxes (failure II)
14. When I Go Down

For more on Relient K, click here.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-05-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Yellow is stupid.

Send a message via AIM to God's Jedi Send a message via MSN to God's Jedi
I've had a chance to go through it about 7 times now, and I must say, it gets better with every listen. From start to finish, I don't think I could name a bad song on here, and there are even a couple great ones. I So Hate Consequences is very well crafted, while Let it All Out is simply beautiful.

That said, this really doesn't feel like an RK CD. I mean, they've returned to teh sound of Anatomy, but there are many things missing. Namely, where the heck is our expected bonus track? I mean COME ON! It can't be RK without a new Skittles & Combos or MC Defenseless. And there as some review I said, this CD is lacking a true breakout song in the line of My Girlfriend, Sadie Hawkins Dance and Mood Rings.

But, it's still the best christian CD I've gotten in forever, so it gets a 9.
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...
Green Lantern's light.
God's Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 11:32 PM   #3

I gave it a nine. All-around solid CD. I am going to have several hours to burn tomorrow afternoon, so I will type up a play-by-play then. As opposed to my Brother Andrew, I am really happy that there was no hidden track. It really added maturity to the CD, I think. Anyway, I will type a review up tomorrow, that is more in-depth.
Unread 11-06-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
The People's

It's good, but not fantastic. It's nice to see Relient K maturing and all, but it's still not overly original (the style has been done many times before and better). There's some good songs here, but the entire idea behind "My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend" seems obnoxious to me.

Still, they've redeemed themselves from Two Lefts... which is definitely a good thing. I'm not going to rate it just yet as I still want to listen to it more.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
I love my Guitar <3

Send a message via AIM to Ganner Send a message via MSN to Ganner Send a message via Yahoo to Ganner
Even though I'm diggin' the piano, I like oldschool rk best.. like its been sai.... its just NOT them. I do love the solos in Maintain Consciousness and This Week The Trend they are fun to play on guitar. They also don't have the originality they used to claim ownership to. I still gave it a ten, and I love Failure II
Ganner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
They also don't have the originality they used to claim ownership to.
I think that for the first time, they are finally working their way TOWARDS originality...
Unread 11-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I think that for the first time, they are finally working their way TOWARDS originality...
I agree.

I actually enjoy this CD, and I hated their other CD's except their Self Titled on that was decent. I love this CD... So I gave it a nine...
Ring of a bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Munchkin Murderer

One I'm Waiting For (9/10)
This is a very good opening song, awesome intro guitar riff and then a fast verse. The chorus follows the typical melodic emo-style. A fun song, and pretty different from their older stuff.

Be My Escape (8/10)
Begins with one of Relient K's best guitar riffs ever. Then it transitions into a very quiet, piano driven verse. The bridge and chorus have very well written, catchy lyrics. The song ends with a quieter bridge. Overall a good song.

High of 75 (9/10)
I must be honest, I wanted to hate this song. It's overly poppy, and the opening guitar riff sounded strangely similar to Be My Escape, yet I can't help but love this song. The lyrics contain Theissen's trademark wit, and the chorus will be stuck in your head for hours after you hear it.

I So Hate Consequences (10/10)
Here you begin to see some of the maturity in the Relient K sound. Starts out with Dave singing, and a very fast, punky verse. The lyrics here are especially meaningful. If you haven't heard this song, you owe it to yourself to hear it, or at least check out the lyrics. The chorus is very potent for every Christian out there who's ever struggled with facing up to your mistakes. The end of the song is a soft, piano driven bridge that has some really beautiful words. One of the best songs on the album.

The Only Thing Worse Than Beating A Dead Horse Is Betting On One (8/10)
This tiny little song with the massive title is more in line with some of Relient K's older stuff lyrically, but in music and style it is quite unlike anything they've ever attempted. Very punky, very fast and in your face, with some nifty guitar riffs to boot. The only bummer is the length, which is just over a minute.

My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend (7/10)
This song is also more in line with Relient K's older music, with a very catchy chorus and some poppy back up from Dave and Hoopes. Not a bad song by any stretch of the imagination, but nothing special.

More Than Useless (8/10)
This song begins with some cool guitars, and then transitions into a softer verse. It picks back up for the chorus, and the words can apply to anyone out there who has wondered why they're here. This song also features quite a bit of singing by Hoopes And Dave. They seem to be experimenting with this alot more on this cd, and it really adds flavor to the songs.

Which to Bury, Us or the Hatchet? (10/10)
It's hard to describe what makes this song so powerful. It could be the excellent lyrics that Matt Theissen can pen like no one else, the driving vocals supplied by Theissen and guest vocalist David Bunton(who also does the screaming vocals on "I So Hate Consequences" and "Life After Death and Taxes"), or the excellent musical talent demonstrated, including a banjo. Yes, it's different, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The ending leads straight into the next song.

Let it All Out (9/10)
This is a piano driven, very melodic, heart breaking song. It is talking about how sometimes God has to let us get hurt to spare us from something worse. Once again, the lyrics add power to the vocals, which again feature Dave and Hoopes quite a bit. I can't find anything to complain about in this song.

Who I am Hates Who I've Been (10/10)
This song is quite possibly the high point of the entire album. It has all the elements a great song that needs: An excellent opening guitar riff, powerful vocals and lyrics, and excellent overall musicianship. It isn't pioneering any new ground, but I dare you to find something wrong with this song.

Maintain Consciousness (8/10)
A return to the goofy side of the Relient K boys. This song is about having ADD, and as you would expect, the song is very fast, catchy, and has some wicked guitars around the middle of the song. The lyrics are extremely catchy, and I find it very easy to apply to myself.

This Week The Trend (7/10)
This song follows the style of "My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend" and "High of 75", and is one of the more poppy songs on the album. The guitars are nice, but being more of a poppy song, the concentration really isn't on driving guitars. The ending is probably the only part on any of these songs that I just really didn't care for. It's the same chord over and over with a mute thrown every once and a while.

Life After Death and Taxes(Failure II) (10/10)
Another excellent song. It begins with a crushing guitar riff, which is very strange coming from the Relient K boys, but on this CD they seemed to have opened up a bit and it really shows. The verse and chorus a very catchy, but the part of the song that will truly stick with you is the bridge/ending. An excellent song, and ends with something that should be very familiar to any Relient K fan.

When I Go Down (9/10)
This is another quiet song. The opening guitar is very soothing, and personally I could just listen to the guitars and piano on this song and fall right asleep. The vocals are very nice, but nothing they haven't done before. It's a nice closing track, even though it drags on a bit too long.

Overall: 10/10
In my opinion, this is Relient K's greatest achievement to date, and any rock fan should pick this up pronto. The maturity in the music and sound, and the power in the lyrics make this a CD you will be listening to for a long time.

Check out my band's new recordings!
ABAC-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 05:41 PM   #9

Trash
in all the will of God.
--Colossians 4:12 ESV
Epaphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphras
Trash
I am not defending, but please elaborate. I would like to know your opinion.
Unread 11-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I am not defending, but please elaborate. I would like to know your opinion.
A lyrical nightmare. Whored musicianship...every band has converted to emo now. Add relient K to the list of casualties.

Plus they suck live.
in all the will of God.
Unread 11-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #12
Your car crash eyes...

One thing I have absolutley love about RK is their lyrics.They write amazing songs, silly or serious. I don't see how it's a "lyrical nightmare".
Unread 11-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #13
Yellow is stupid.

Send a message via AIM to God's Jedi Send a message via MSN to God's Jedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphras
A lyrical nightmare. Whored musicianship...every band has converted to emo now. Add relient K to the list of casualties.

Plus they suck live.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. These are quite possibly the best lyrics to come from mainstream Christian music since The Beautiful Letdown. As ABAC mentioned, most of the music is much more punk than it is emo. I also thought this with just the couple of singles they released on PureVolume, but hearing the album as a whole makes me see that it is very much punk.

And have you ever actually SEEN them live? I saw them at a concert that was being run by Newsong, and they were only allowed to play three songs. That short set was by FAR the highlight of the evening, even beating out Audio A. Really, I fail to see any of your points whatsoever.
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...
Green Lantern's light.
God's Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 06:14 AM   #14
The People's

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Jedi

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. These are quite possibly the best lyrics to come from mainstream Christian music since The Beautiful Letdown.
Man, if you hadn't said "mainstream" I would've torn you a new one.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Jedi

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. These are quite possibly the best lyrics to come from mainstream Christian music since The Beautiful Letdown. As ABAC mentioned, most of the music is much more punk than it is emo. I also thought this with just the couple of singles they released on PureVolume, but hearing the album as a whole makes me see that it is very much punk.

And have you ever actually SEEN them live? I saw them at a concert that was being run by Newsong, and they were only allowed to play three songs. That short set was by FAR the highlight of the evening, even beating out Audio A. Really, I fail to see any of your points whatsoever.
Music is completely subjective. Some like, so don't like, but there is no standard for it except the listener's tastes. I can't convince you not to like them any more than you could convince me to like them. This thread is for discussing why we like or don't like the album. I put in my $0.02, now I'm shutting up.

And yes, I've seen them live about 4 times. My friend even played bass for them at Alive '04 for MakeAWish. They're nothing to get excited about live, IMO. Plus I heard they're kinda jerks off-stage, especially Matt T.

Shutting up now.
in all the will of God.