Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > U
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 1 1.10%
2 1 1.10%
3 0 0%
4 2 2.20%
5 0 0%
6 2 2.20%
7 6 6.59%
8 12 13.19%
9 23 25.27%
10 44 48.35%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-28-2004, 05:40 PM   #1

Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety

Tracks
1. Young and Aspiring
2. A Boy Brushed Red...Living in Black and White
3. The Impact of Reason
4. Reinventing Your Exit
5. The Blue Note
6. It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door
7. Down, Set, Go
8. I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today
9. I'm Content With Losing
10. Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape

For more on Underoath, click here.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Munchkin Murderer

I love writing, and my creative writing teacher tells me practice makes perfect, so I'm writing a nice big They're Only Chasing Safety Review. Enjoy!

Song By Song:

Young and Aspiring(3:04)
9.5/10
Good song, starts out with some eerie effects and then erupts. Gives you a good feel of what to expect from the CD. One of the songs with more potent lyrics, especially the chorus. Guitars are nice, but nothing special.

A Boy Brushed Red....Living in Black and White(4:28)
7.5/10
Starts out with a very emo singing part by Gillespie, followed by a nice screaming part by Spencer. One of the more emo songs on the album, and drags on a bit during the verses. Still, not a bad song. Again, the guitars aren't anything to shout about, but they complement the excellent vocals.

The Impact of Reason(3:24)
10/10
Starts out with a very cool guitar riff. Has probably the best lyrics of any song except for maybe the last one. Is also one of the harder songs on the album, with only a few brief singing parts. Despite this, it is one of the most emotional songs on the album. The meaning, though subtle, is very powerful. In my opinion, the best song on the album.

Reinventing Your Exit(4:22)
8/10
This is the first single off the album, and as such is very emo, and very(almost overly) catchy. Still, a very well porduced song, and it never feels like it drags. As a side note, if you want to see an interesting video, check this one out.

The Blue Note(0:51)
6/10
Filler track. Some interesting effects, and the voice at the end is creepy.

It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door(3:58)
8.5/10
Starts out with a nice screaming bit by Spencer, then goes into a technoish poppy verse which, if I'm not mistaken, Spencer sings. Some weird effects come into play here, but they sound very nice. The chorus is very emo, and the song drags a bit until the bridge, which has a nice drum solo and then a very cool choir part with spencer screaming over top of the choir. Awesome bridge, otherwise this song would have been rated lower.

Down, Set, Go(3:44)
7.5/10
Is it just me, or does this song have a very punky feel to it? This song starts out with Spencer screaming, and then goes into a punky verse, followed by a emo-punky chorus. The bridge goes into an acoustic bit with Gillespie singing, and goes hard again at the end with Spencer screaming. Very depressing lyrics. Overall a pretty good song.

I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today(3:42)
10/10
The hardest song on the album. There is no singing on this song at all, and it feels a bit more like the older UO stuff. The actual song is only about 2 and a half minutes long, but it has a nice purely musical ending to it, again remniscent of past UO stuff. The guitars are pretty cool, especially at the end. Probably my second favorite song on the album.

I'm Content With Losing(3:55)
8/10
Starts out like every song on the second part of this CD so far, with Spencer screaming. Very emotional song, with a very emo chorus. The bridge is probably the best part of the song, with multilayered vocals with underlying screams by Spencer. I'd be interested to see how they do this song in concert, along with track 6. This song also has some very cool guitar riffs.

Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape(4:21)
10/10
This song has guest vocals by Aaron Marsh from Copeland, and his soft vocals help to add to this song, which is the ballad of the album. The words are very powerful, and the ending almost brings me to tears. Show this song to anyone who doubts UO's christianity.

Time: 35:53
Overall:While not perfect, this album is the single most amazing emocore album I've ever heard, and deserves to be heard by everyone, even if you don't dig all that screaming. Give it a shot, it will grow on you.
Rating: 10/10

Check out my band's new recordings!
ABAC-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
needs a new avatar

Send a message via MSN to Symbiotic Send a message via Skype™ to Symbiotic
I think it's great

Check out my.....

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #4

One of my favorite releases of the year. Although not a popular opinion, I think the new vocalist is much better than the previous one. "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" is the "soft song" of the album, and I love it. A lot.

My only problem with it is that it's very short. Because of that, it goes from ten out of ten to nine out of ten.

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Your car crash eyes...

This is off-topic, but is the new vocalist the one that is the drummer and sounds exactly like the guy from Taking Back Sunday?
Unread 10-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletswitch
This is off-topic, but is the new vocalist the one that is the drummer and sounds exactly like the guy from Taking Back Sunday?
No, the drummer sings some, but he is not the vocalist.

~Jon
Unread 10-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Your car crash eyes...

Oh. Well, the drummer guy sounds exactly like the guy from TBS.
Unread 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
Yeah he does. The drummer does the biggest majority of the singing, and spencer does pretty much all screaming, but he does sing, like he does the harmony and a few solo parts.
I pretty much agree with what has been said. Great cd, awesome lyrics, better than the old Uo imo, I like spencer much better than dallas because you can actually understand what spencer says lol.
The only down side is that it's only 10 song (including 1 instrumental) and is very short.
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
not a member

Thumbs up New Album Rating

Old uO was totally amazing & Dallas was kick ass, although I don`t necessarily think Spencer`s a better lead than Dallas, he is an awesome performer and screamer. I especially like Spencer`s higher scream in uO than I did when he was in his old band, This Runs Through. uO now is amazing and I HOPE THERE`S NOT GONNA BE ANOTHER LINE UP CHANGE!! Cuz what was it, 3 line up changes?--- that`s enough man! And I think Aaron (uO drummer) is a better singer than the dude from TBS, most definitely.
Unread 11-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
Sinner.

Send a message via AIM to FireProof615 Send a message via MSN to FireProof615
Thumbs up

I give it a 10!
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #11
the ghost at your side

Send a message via MSN to Opie
good things...good things...I voted 9 because of length...thats the only bad thing about it is its not long enough...
Unread 12-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #12

to tell the truth i HATE absolutly HATE emocore,screamo,hardcor ect. but this cd i LOVE without a doubt LOVE its awsome especially the lead singers vocals
njsk8rboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 05:13 AM   #13

Hah, all the "hardcore scene" or "emocore scene" or those core people here are funny.

~Jon
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
knows so little

awesome cd. all the vocals that are sung and not screamed are incredibly catchy and will get stuck in ur head for a long time. i enjoyed this one a bunch, unfortunately i cant compare the new vocalist with the old guy because i haven't heard any of their older stuff but i'm gonna look into it. i love the track "some will seek forgiveness, others escape" it gives me chills.
"Young and aspiring", "reinventing your exit", and " a boy brushed red" are also great tracks

"Wheel of morality turn turn turn tell us the lesson that we should learn.... If at first you dont succeed... blame your parents." - Yakko
Shaneathin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #15

I absolutley love this cd, I give it a 10!
My favorite songs are "Reinventing Your Exit" and "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Other Escape."
SFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote