Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-28-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
I want an accoustic Bass

Send a message via AIM to CristianBassist Send a message via Yahoo to CristianBassist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1185
Poop + poop = Lots of poop. I think that the fact that you have only been playing for four months shows that you don't have a very refined taste in tone. I"m not insulting you or your tastes, but I didn't really gain a good taste in tone for over a year. Play some nice basses (MIA Fenders, high end Ibanez, Warwicks if you can get your hands on them) through some nice amps (Ampeg, SWR, Eden) and you'll eventually see a huge difference in sound.

Also, I'm with Watford. I have a mid-70's Fender P bass, and it sounds amazing. The tone fits in every situation that I've played it in. It has more bottom end and a warmer (but still well defined) tone than any other bass I have ever played. It blows the strings off of new American Deluxe P-basses.
I've heard a great bass solo from Micheal Anthony of Van Halen, either his solo had bad tone, or my bass+amp have good tone, and I dont think he would use bad tone.

CristianBassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #17
thinking about grace

Send a message via MSN to arsonist
TONE TONE TONE!!!! its everything man! if you don't sound good you don't play good. of course we know that it isn't true, but it is sadly public opinion. ive have been experimenting alot lately with my tone. esspecally since i have gotten my new bass. since i have a job :P. and there was a sale at the local music store ive tried just about 15 different string sets and combinations. right now i am satisfied with ernie ball x-tra heavies ( .55 and .75) for my G and D strings and diaddarios mediums ( .75, .100, and .130) for my A, E and low B strings. i use the .70 gauge for my A string cuz it provides a little bit of twang to it..but over all it has a most desirable tone that i haven't heard in most basses available here in alaska. :P.
i do really want a mid-70's fender p-bass though...cuz those you can't copy...

Last edited by arsonist; 10-28-2004 at 07:39 PM.
arsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2004, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy hobo
and btw I think fender be a waste of instrument.
And the good fifty percent of modern artists who use fender and their derivatives (Musicman, G & L...) would disagree with you.

And you can't disagree with James Jamerson. You just can't. Or Jaco.

Fender has basically defined the bass sound. Sure, today it's all over the place. But the bass sound from the 50s to the late 80s, was mostly fender (save hair metal bands ). You just can't call that a waste of instrument. I mean, they made the FIRST electric bass.

Sure today we have all our hifi stuff, like fodera, and alembic (also a prevalent force in the post grateful dead days), but fender is still around in a great force.
Visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visirale
And the good fifty percent of modern artists who use fender and their derivatives (Musicman, G & L...) would disagree with you.

And you can't disagree with James Jamerson. You just can't. Or Jaco.

Fender has basically defined the bass sound. Sure, today it's all over the place. But the bass sound from the 50s to the late 80s, was mostly fender (save hair metal bands ). You just can't call that a waste of instrument. I mean, they made the FIRST electric bass.

Sure today we have all our hifi stuff, like fodera, and alembic (also a prevalent force in the post grateful dead days), but fender is still around in a great force.
I prefer Gibson and Epiphone over all other brands. Fender and Ibanez are my least favorite. They seem so wrpped up in being the best. I like Gibson because their guitars arent designed necssrly w/ looks. Theyre designed on being fun. But that is my opinion.

Last edited by bluesy hobo; 11-04-2004 at 03:17 PM. Reason: wrong word
bluesy hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy hobo
I prefer Gibson and Epiphone over all other brands. Fender and Ibanez are my least favorite. They seem so wrpped up in being the best. I like Gibson because their guitars arent designed necssrly w/ looks. Theyre designed on being fun. But that is my opinion.
Well, in my opinion, Gibson guitars and DEFINATELY basses are much more flashy and looks oriented than fender. Fender has basically two guitar body styles that it is really well know for, and two bass styles. (Not conclusively, but your average joe doesn't know that a jagstang is a fender when he sees it). Gibson has the LP, SG, V, Explorer, firebird, and a ton of hollowbodies just for guitar.

I do prefer gibson guitar tone over fender in a lot of cases (not all), but I just like the thunderbird (their only currently mass produced noteworthy bass) in very rare instances, and fender basses are nearly universal.

But as I stated, all opinions .
Visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDud3
What is the best base out there? My price limet, is $1,750 and what is a awsomely great bassa amp? For the amp, my price limit is $1,000

(I am posting this, just to get an idea for when(if) I start a band)

wow everyone got a lil off topic but... with around that price.. i would just go for the fender jazz bass... and look for a used Eden Metro combo... in my opinion its the BEST combo amp out... well worth the money

bass: modulus flea4

bass amp: eden wt-600 roadrunner
eden 410xlt
retrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #22

Best bass??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDud3
What is the best base out there? My price limet, is $1,750 and what is a awsomely great bassa amp? For the amp, my price limit is $1,000

(I am posting this, just to get an idea for when(if) I start a band)
I play in the church worchip band and am plugged into the house system so I don't ever worry much about amps. I have a little Peavey Micro Bass amp to use at home for practice. It actually can put out a big sound. My main instrument is a standup bass with a pick up mic attached to it. Our guitar player loaned me his P bass so we could get the electric sound. When I decided to finally get my own, which was a major purchas for me, I did a lot of comparison shopping and playing. I live around Seattle. There are a lot of music stores to shop at for basses. I took about 3 months to find what I liked which happened to be at my local music store about a mile away. I purchased a Cort Curbow Bass (5 string). Reasons: 1 the neck is not as thick or wide as most 5 stringers; 2 I really liked the sound it puts out; 3 the cost was $900 which was about $600 off the suggested retail price. I've had it for 9 months and play it quite a bit. I am really pleased with my purchase. My recomendation - shop around and find what pleases you best for feel and sound and money. For $1750 you have a large selection to pick from. Also check out pawn shops. I just found another standup bass for $400 dollars at a pawn shop. I can't wait to get it appraised and see how much of a deal I got.

Clint
noshoesbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #23
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
You payed $900 for a CORT CUBOW? Please tell me you mean a REAL Curbow bass. If you actually payed that much for a Cort, you got seriously ripped off. They sell for less than $400, usually.
Bassman1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #24
Follows trends...

Rickenbacker 4003 would be the best bass ever made. A little out of your price range but not too much... Its well worth it. Whenever I get the money Im getting one. Although I wouldnt play a Fender I cant say they are crap. Some have really great sound. I just think they are over played and over rated. For amps Id go with an Ampeg or a Mesa Boogie. You can get an Ampeg 800 watt amp and 8x10 speaker cab for $1500. That would probably be my setup if I ever had the money. Right now I have a Peavey Nitro Bass 300 watt amp and a Madison 2x12 and 2x8 cabinet and a Gretsch Electromatic bass. Its a relatively cheap bass but I can get a good tone out of it. I always use Ernie Ball strings. The ones in the pink package... Anyways check out Rickenbacker. They make great basses.
SmileAndFollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 07:39 PM   #25
thinking about grace

Send a message via MSN to arsonist
lol...i love the rickenbacher look...its so...goofy :P

arsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2004, 11:15 PM   #26
Follows trends...

I think Im going to buy one... Its been almost a year since I bought a bass. I think that much restraint deserves a Rickenbacker, dont you?
SmileAndFollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to banjoforester
Hey Noshoes I also have a Cort Curbow, mines a 6 string and I only paid around $550 and that included the case. You got ripped off on the price, but I agree, I've had mine for about 5 years and have had no problems with it and still love the way it sounds.
banjoforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #28
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Where can you buy an 800 watt ampeg setup for $1500? The 8x10 cab alone costs almost $1k by itself. The head would be another $900, at least. As for Rics, I like them, and I wouldn't mind having one, but I would be VERY hesitant to say that they are the best bass ever. They sound way too thin for most situations. Plus, there is maybe one slappable Ric out of every thousand made. I don't know what the deal is, but they are just not slap-friendly.
Bassman1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #29

Here's one to try

Hey check out Stroy Custom Basses
Stroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1185
Where can you buy an 800 watt ampeg setup for $1500? The 8x10 cab alone costs almost $1k by itself. The head would be another $900, at least.

Used!