Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Dogbert's back!

How do I get vibrato????

*see title*

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-17-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Servant

i have heard that some people develop it naturally...but i don't know, i just remember hearing it...
Unread 10-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
seeking God

Have someone karate chop your back while you sing?

Seriously though, vibrato for me came through very good vocal breath support. Vibrato should develop naturally through singing solidly with full breath. It's hard to prescribe much more than that in a general sense.
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
apparently some people don't have it naturally, so the way you can "develop" it is: pick a comfortable pitch, sing it for a while until you've established it, then move half a step down, and back up to the original pitch. next, repeat, only move half a step up and then back down. keep doing this until what you're doing looks like on half-down on half-up on half-down on half-up, etc. just be sure to relax your throat...don't strain your voice or anything. and remember...it takes time.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Where have I been?

Send a message via AIM to Thespia Send a message via Yahoo to Thespia
Vibrato is a natural thing caused by the vibration of your vocal folds. Most people develop it naturally (with proper technique, it will come as a result).

I've *heard* that some singers don't ever get it (example - Gary Morris was Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, and he supposedly does the vibrato by shaking his head, but these could be all rumors). But on the whole I'd say that it comes with time by singing with proper technique. I've known (and dated) instrumentalists who learned to sing after playing a horn of some sort who do it with their diaphragm artifically. I wouldn't recommend this, it seems to make the voice tight and less free.
Unread 10-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #6
Servant

i don't even like the vibrato sound.
Unread 10-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0s1ah
i don't even like the vibrato sound.
I doubt you like a perfectly straight tone. I bet you, like me, are just not a fan of the huge vibrato you hear in opera singers.
Unread 10-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeo
I doubt you like a perfectly straight tone. I bet you, like me, are just not a fan of the huge vibrato you hear in opera singers.
have u heard the band copeland? i like that sound, alot.
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
CGR's Stealth Bomber

Vibrato is kind of going out of style in today's rock and folk rock, but is getting bigger in rhythm & blues (e.g. most of the people on American Idol) and has always been big in jazz.

But if you can't do any vibrato, and your voice sounds like you just got done crying and sounds very untrained, you can still be the lead singer of Caedmon's Call.
Jay42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #10
Dogbert's back!

I like rock music, but I can probably somehow figure out how to fit vocal vibrato in my music. Robert Plant did it, so why can't I? That's the way I see it. Of course, Led Zep's a bit old now, but hey, who says I can't fit it into modern stuff?

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #11

Lightbulb Yeah..

Well, sorry to break it to you people who think vibrato comes with good technique. It doesn't. You are either born with vibrato, or you're not. Some people have faster vibrato than others, and vice versa. Though, you can't just develope vibrato, you can make it better or control it easier with practice. Just a little fact...
ohheckitsbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #12
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheckitsbeck
Well, sorry to break it to you people who think vibrato comes with good technique. It doesn't. You are either born with vibrato, or you're not. Some people have faster vibrato than others, and vice versa. Though, you can't just develope vibrato, you can make it better or control it easier with practice. Just a little fact...
umm. apparently you can develop vibrato whether or not you're born with it. several voice majors at my school didn't start out with vibrato and here they are singing with it. it's actually a pretty good mask for singers who can't really sing dead on pitch. one of the girls was asked to drop it in my ear training class, and she's not always on pitch. but, the point is she developed it during her training sessions with the voice instructor...she didn't have it naturally. none of that group had it naturally to start with.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #13

A vibrato usually comes to someone naturally... Some might not be as well as others... my friend helped me develop my vibrato a lot better all it took was a week of practicing the techniques... Make sure that you are using your diaphram... that was my problem.. as you breath in, stick your stomach out (not A LOT A LOT!) and dont use your nose.. gently release your breath with singing... but dont force a vibrato...
StandUPforLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #14
Banned

If you really want vibrato, practice breathing diaphragmatically. To breathe diaphragmatically, practice laying on the ground and slowly inhaling. You have to be completely relaxed. When you inhale, allow the air to fill up your stomach, sides, and back, as if you are filling up an inner tube around you. Do not let your chest rise until the rest of your abdomen is completely full. Once you have mastered this, choose a comfortable note in your range and see how long you can sustain it by pushing the air out the same way you brought it in- using your diaphragm, not your chest or throat. Once you have had a lot of practice breathing diaphragmatically, put a lot of force behind a note (still, of course, using your diaphragm). A little way through that note, back off a little by pushing a little less. If you are doing it properly, you should get some vibrato. This is best for your voice. If you try to force it and add a "shake" to your voice, it can become a habid that is hard to break if you want to sing normally. This way, you can easily change back and forth, and the vibrato sounds more natural, because it is.

The above paragraph is explaining how to get vibrato (the right way) if you really want it. If you just sing diaphragmatically (which you should while singing no matter what), you will eventually get it anyways. Good luck!

-Jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinguprawks
diaphragmatically
Ha, I didn't know that was a word. I like it. I think I may use that one quite a bit...

Click on the pic above to go to my blog.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
simple servant is offline   Reply With Quote