Good warm up before singing

Simple:
How do you warm up before singing?

Xakep_INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
Servant

i should, but don't warm up enough.
lol, i usually hum some scales and lightly sing.
Unread 10-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Moo.

Send a message via MSN to _maranatha
Scales, scales, scales and more scales. If I'm in the mood I may get creative and play with the scales some, for example, instead of Doe, Rae, Me, Rae, Fa etc. I may go Doe, Me, Ray, Fa... and so on. You get the point.

Peace and love,
Rhonda.
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
_maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Where have I been?

Send a message via AIM to Thespia Send a message via Yahoo to Thespia
-I start by doing 5 notes up and down on a nasal consonant (mm or nn) this brings the tone forward and gets its spinning
-another is singing A-le-loo-yah on 1, 3, 5, 1, 5, 3, 1 (Do Mi Sol Do Sol Mi Do)
-I play with vowels a lot (Eee eh, ih, ah, oh, uh, oo, ) just doing different patterns and scales.
-Scales are good for whatever you are trying to accomplish ( a vowel sound, getting the tone forward or more space)
-Staccato/legato trade offs (aaah aaah aaah ahhh ah ah ah)
- buzzing your lips on a scale is good
Unread 12-13-2004, 12:41 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to off-road-nut Send a message via MSN to off-road-nut
Ok so what I do to warm up is pop in my fav. CD and sing along to that. just one or two songs so you don't wear out you voice, but that usually gets me ready.
~peace~
off-road-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
vintage.

"Mmm" scales (like Thespia mentioned)
Scales with vowels. Ooh, Ee, Ah, Oh, Aa, etc.

Usually when I sing scales, I use this pattern:
1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1, then take it up half a step and do it again. When I reach the highest part of my range, I start to go down half a step each time. My vocal coach makes me stretch my range more (by having me sing higher than I'm really comfortable with), but I don't do that on my own to prevent voice strain.

I wouldn't recommend singing along with any CD as your only warm-up, simply because it's not as effective and it can cause strain to your voice. (I know this from personal experience.) I do like to sing along with CDs, but I always warm up with some scales first, even if I'm not going to be performing.
Sunkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #7

Lightbulb

I know 1 very good warm-up for singing...well, not really for singing, but for good pronunciation and good sound when singing...just before Christmas in school, we had to set up 3 choirs and our School House Captain was in mine and she went over one which shows you how to expand your mouth when singing:

1. Take your left hand
2. take your 2nd and 3rd fingers
3. put them into your mouth and push against the roof of your mouth so that the bottom of the two fingers are touching the roof of your mouth.
4. Try to say the alphabet so that it's recognizable
5. Do this 10 times before you practice and your pronunciation and sound will be unsurpassed

This technique worked wonders for our choir...everyone, and I mean everyone agreed that you could hear exactly what we were singing and they could make out every single word...

another thing is your accent...this doesn't apply to all songs, but a broad english accent when singing and this will also dramatically help your pronunciation and anyone listening will be able to hear what your singing...one easy way to help you force an english accent is by saying "How now brown cow" in an english accent over and over and over again and it eventually will be simple to do...and very very very effective!!!

i know these techniques sound stupid but they do work!! also a friend I have who gets professional vocal training was taught very similar techniques. let me know if this was any help to you, although I'm sure it will be
davidq0806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Banned

here's what i do-
1.)a couple of sirens to loosen my vocal cords (start in your low in chest voice and slur to your highest falsetto and back down)
2.)octaves (start on a low note, jump an octave, go back to your starting note, go up a halfstep, and repeat. do this to the top of your falsetto and then go back down by halfsteps)
3.)1-3-5-3-1-4-6-4-1-3-5-3-1. go up a halfstep and repeat. when you reach the top of your falsetto, go back down by halfsteps
4.)1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1. halfstep, repeat, top of falsetto, down by halfsteps- you get the picture
5.)1-3-5-3-1. same instructions
6.)ay (as in say) ee (as in cheese) ah (as in hall) ow (as in flow) oo (as in moo). do these all on the same note then go up a halfstep. reach top of falsetto, go back down. oh yeah, and as you do this one, keep your jaw dropped and your soft palette risen. make the roundest, purest, most open sound you can. sing it as it would be sung in an opera, with as little trebble as possible.

so ya, i try to do those every day. i'm pretty lazy, though, and i usually only end up doing one or two

note- NEVER strain your voice whether you're doing warm-ups or recording or singing along with the radio. it's the worst thing you can do.
audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote