Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #1

Question This guitar or that?

Hey, i need some advice on which guitar to buy. This will be my second guitar, and probably a huge improvement over the Aria i've been playing for over a year!

I've looked around, and i like the Epiphone Les Paul Goth...
/http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/518262/

but i've also seen an Ibanez SZ520QM (which is on special for about the same price as the LP)...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/103178

so yeah, i'm going to the store on the weekend to try both of them out, but i've read the reviews on both guitars, and i've struggled to find a bad word about either!

i play in the worship band at Church, and i play punk rock on the side.

does anyone know anything about one of (or both) the guitars above that i should keep in mind when handing the cash over?
or maybe you have an idea of another (better) guitar that is in the same price range?

i have another question too, the LP comes with a Floyd Rose Tremelo, i have no idea what this is! i could do a search on google, but while i'm here, ill ask!

thanks!

krepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
tremolo is how you get that wa-wa sound. thats the best i know how to explain it. there should be a metal bar sticking out of the bridge, hold it paralell to the strings and strum, then vibrate the bar.

tis the same effect you get from rocking your finger back and forther on a string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #3

Haha! ok, thanks!
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
No Comment

the trem bar basically lets you bend the string so you can go up or down while you're on one fret, and as for those guitars, i have no experience with either, but youre bound to get some feedback here, used would be a good idea too, you could get a nice used guitar for 500 bux

------------------------------
My new and improved blog! Go there.... now.
JC_music07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Your car crash eyes...

What kind of amp do you have? I would upgrade that first if it's not good. Also, go for a Schecter C-1. They are better.
Unread 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepunk
Hey, i need some advice on which guitar to buy. This will be my second guitar, and probably a huge improvement over the Aria i've been playing for over a year!

I've looked around, and i like the Epiphone Les Paul Goth...
/http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/518262/

but i've also seen an Ibanez SZ520QM (which is on special for about the same price as the LP)...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/103178
Personally, I'd go for the Ibbanez. I just haven't played a Epi I've really liked yet.

Quote:
so yeah, i'm going to the store on the weekend to try both of them out, but i've read the reviews on both guitars, and i've struggled to find a bad word about either!
Don't forget aobut look ing for used guitars. It'll save you a ton of money.

Quote:
i play in the worship band at Church, and i play punk rock on the side.
Either guitar will work fine. Really, any guitar will work for any style of music. I'ts mainly about how you play and what amp you're using.

Quote:
does anyone know anything about one of (or both) the guitars above that i should keep in mind when handing the cash over?
My best advice is to BUY USED. You will probably get a sweet deal.

Quote:
or maybe you have an idea of another (better) guitar that is in the same price range?
You can look for a lot of used guitars in that range. Along the lines of those guitars, Jacksons, Schecters, and possibly used Gibsons and used Fenders (especially Fender Showmasters) are good instruments.

Quote:
i have another question too, the LP comes with a Floyd Rose Tremelo, i have no idea what this is! i could do a search on google, but while i'm here, ill ask!

thanks!
A guitar's tremolo (also "vibrato") system is a movable bridge, essentially. The bridge pivots on the body, and you can bring the pitch down by moving the bridge down via a metal rod (aka whammy bar [or around these parts, the "nimrod"]). A raise in pitch can be done by pulling the same bar up. The Floyd Rose tremolo is a variant on a standard tremolo in which the strings are clamped and locked so that the string doesn't fall out of tune when you use the bar. It's only really a problem if you use the bar a lot. The Floyd Rose is also rather difficult to set up, and it takes much longer to replace the strings on a Floyd Rose tremolo as opposed to a standard tremolo.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #7

Thanks everyone!

I'm using a Marshall Valvestate 30w at the moment, it's an old amp, i got it used for like AUS$100, but ill look at a new one next year, when i have a real job, it seems fine now.

There aren't many used guitars for sale here in australia (unless i haven't looked hard enough) and the ones that are for sale are all really bad fender rip offs.
But i'm gonna look at the newspaper this week as well.

That schecter C-1 looks pretty good too! i will definately check it out!
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #8

I would go for the ibanez, i'm much of a gothic kinda guy(even though my guitar is black body and neck).
Ginosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
Cedarville 2011

Send a message via AIM to jrb4him
Yeah, i'd go for the Ibanez too ...however, if you only have a AUS$100 amp...you might just be better off uprgrading that first...you'll get a better sound out of a better amp with your old guitar than a new guitar with your current amp at this point ...i dunno thats just my opinion, however if you're really set on getting one of those two guitars...try the ibanez...and try used if you can find it anywhere!

Jason
Phil 1:20-21

Cedarville 2011!
Yellow Jackets Soccer
jrb4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepunk
Thanks everyone!

I'm using a Marshall Valvestate 30w at the moment, it's an old amp, i got it used for like AUS$100, but ill look at a new one next year, when i have a real job, it seems fine now.
Get a new amp first. Its more important.

Quote:
There aren't many used guitars for sale here in australia (unless i haven't looked hard enough) and the ones that are for sale are all really bad fender rip offs.
But i'm gonna look at the newspaper this week as well.
www.ebay.com

Quote:
That schecter C-1 looks pretty good too! i will definately check it out!
They are VERY nice guitars.
Unread 09-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Finally A Simpsons Pic

Send a message via AIM to nckcool_11 Send a message via Yahoo to nckcool_11
I would definatly go with the Ibanez. Also there is the C-1 which is pretty nice... but theres also the Dean Vendetta (1.0 and 2.0 are pretty good deals)
http://www.deanguitars.com/vendetta_1.0.htm
http://www.deanguitars.com/vendetta_2.0.htm
Either of those. I was looking at the vendetta 3.0 to replace my Gibson Les Paul, so those should be pretty nice also. i'm not really sure about the price, but the 3.0 is $600, so the 1.0 is probably at most $400. but maybe im wrong... anyway they are very nice guitars so I would highly recommend buying one before they increase in value (because theyre a new model)
8. Incubus - A Crow Left Of THe Murder
7. Radiohead - The Bends
6. Counting Crows - Hard Candy
5. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
4. Incubus - Morning View
3. AFI - Sing The Sorrow
2. Audioslave - Audioslave
1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
nckcool_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #12
Finally A Simpsons Pic

Send a message via AIM to nckcool_11 Send a message via Yahoo to nckcool_11
and heres a link to it on music123.com http://www.music123.com/Dean-Vendetta-1-0-i130020.music
8. Incubus - A Crow Left Of THe Murder
7. Radiohead - The Bends
6. Counting Crows - Hard Candy
5. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
4. Incubus - Morning View
3. AFI - Sing The Sorrow
2. Audioslave - Audioslave
1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
nckcool_11 is offline   Reply With Quote