Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
übergeek

Songs you have a theological problem with....list em here

One of our music staff recently begged for me to add "You Are My King (Amazing Love)" into the rotation. I like the song but the line "in all I do, I honor You" really twists my BVDs the wrong way. I know that all I do does not honor God so why sing it? I convinced them to use "let all I do, honor you".

What about you?

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

Amps: Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212 cab

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
trpullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
seeking God

Or it could be done: "in all I do, to honor you"

It is You, by the Newsboys is pretty good, except i don't like the doubt as to whether God will meet us. "as we lift up our hands, will you meet us here?"

I think changing it to "as we lift up our hands, you are with us here."
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
I've never been able to do "Above All" for 2 reasons.

1. I question the last line of the chorus
2. It doesn't pass my Muppet Test: if I can imagine Kermit singing it, it's too precious to do.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
so much

The most musical (and grammatically correct) solution that I have found to the last line of You Are My King is to add a little pick-up note to the last half of the phrase, and sing the word "may". "In all I do, may I honor You." "may" and "I" are sung in the space that "I" would usually be sung in.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
...It doesn't pass my Muppet Test: if I can imagine Kermit singing it, it's too precious to do.
That's about the coolest thing I think I've heard on these forums in the last 2 months!

AWwwwww MAN! *whipes tears of laughter away*
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
übergeek

Well....sitting just a few desks away from Tony "auditioning" new songs with the "Kermit Test" leads to many corrupted databases.

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
Unread 09-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
through the cross

I have a bit of a problem with the songs
Come Now Is The Time To Worship
and Come Just As You Are
b/c the Bible is very clear on the fact that we are to prepare ourselves for worship. we are not to come to God's throne "Just as we are."

Also, the old Vineyard song, Pour Out My Heart
It says "i pour out my heart for i know that you hear every cry/you are listening/no matter what state my heart is in/you are faithful to answer..."
this obviously violates Psalm 66:18, which talks about how if there i regard sin in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.

and then of course Amazing Love (you are my king) bothers me as well. We sing the version done by the newsboys, who substitute "in" with "to" making it just a repeat of the line before. plus, using their version lets us get away with the copyright issues that may come along with changing lyrics in songs.

and there are more songs than just "It Is You" that talk about God coming to meet us, when he is already there...
All Who Are Thirsty
Meet With Me
Come And Fill Me Up
etc.

One newer one, Consuming Fire by Tim Hughes. One line bothers me. the one that says "Leave us abondoned to Your praise." While the line makes for some cool songwriting, i can not get past the fact that it is quite clearly asking God to abandon us... WHAT IS WITH THAT!?!?!?!

Above All's last line is questionable, but i don't personally have much of a problem with it.

if i think of any others i'll let you know
Matt4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4JC
and then of course Amazing Love (you are my king) bothers me as well. We sing the version done by the newsboys, who substitute "in" with "to" making it just a repeat of the line before. plus, using their version lets us get away with the copyright issues that may come along with changing lyrics in songs.
There is a zillion to one chance of having any copyright issues with adding or changing one word to a song.

Quote:
One newer one, Consuming Fire by Tim Hughes. One line bothers me. the one that says "Leave us abondoned to Your praise." While the line makes for some cool songwriting, i can not get past the fact that it is quite clearly asking God to abandon us... WHAT IS WITH THAT!?!?!?!
Use a dictionary. A possible definition of "abandoned" is "given over completely/unrestrainedly to".

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
Unread 09-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
astrummer

Whenever we sing "I surrender all" I'm reminded of Annanias and Saphira (Spelling?) in the book of Acts, struck down for lying about surrendering all when they hadn't---but "I'm trying to surrender more" although honest, just isn't very poetic.

"I could sing of your love forever" although logically correct has the implication of "well I might or might not" .I've violated copyright before and sung "I will sing of your love forever" and I have faith that someday that will be the case.
Unread 09-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #10

"O Lord, I ask for the nations" from "You Said." Takes the verse out of context, IIRC.
"And by faith we speak revival" from "We have a Vision." So revival is up to us now?
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
"You Said." Takes the verse out of context, IIRC.
explain.
Unread 09-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #12
Eaten by a grue

This thread is laughably nitpicky.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
Isn't that what we do best around here.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with many of your points here. Maybe we also need a thread for Hymns that are theologically flawed too. See which one wins.

Unread 09-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen
Maybe we also need a thread for Hymns that are theologically flawed too. See which one wins.
I think it'd probably be a lot easier (for me, anyway) to think of hymns that are theologically flawed. The classic dichotomy is to categorize hymns as "doctrine teaching/topical" songs and p&w as "emotion expressing/feeling" songs. It's sort of hard to find anything really "flawed" when the vast majority of the songs you're discussing simply say "God, I love You because You're so good to me" and stuff like that. It's a lot easier when the songs you're discussing have true doctrinal "substance" to discuss.

In His love,
Nate

Unread 09-20-2004, 07:28 PM   #15
astrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
I agree that this thread could very easily be/get nitpicky, but on the positive side:
1) Even Paul encouraged believers to check his teaching against the rest of scripture, so what's wrong with checking the words of the songs we sing?
2) The fact that people are trying to worship both in spirit and in truth, although often used as an excuse to get nitpicky is really an admirable goal.