Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #106
The One and Only

Yeah, "nitpicky" is a good word for a lot of this.

Just wanted to ask a question: Can God be jealous of Himself?

Jesus is a part of the Godhead, right? Do you think the Father is standing by saying, "Okay, no fair! The next one has to be sung to me!"?

Unread 11-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #107
Policy Terrorist

Send a message via MSN to agrimes87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Squirrel
Yeah, "nitpicky" is a good word for a lot of this.

Just wanted to ask a question: Can God be jealous of Himself?

Jesus is a part of the Godhead, right? Do you think the Father is standing by saying, "Okay, no fair! The next one has to be sung to me!"?
lol....not quite...

but it still remains that if we are to worship the whole trinity, then to say worship is "all about you, Jesus" would be contradicting that, right?
agrimes87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #108
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrimes87
but it still remains that if we are to worship the whole trinity, then to say worship is "all about you, Jesus" would be contradicting that, right?
Yes, that's true. But I don't think God has a bone to pick with anyone who sings it. Who wrote it, BTW? Has he come out and condemned the song?
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #109
Policy Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Squirrel
Yes, that's true. But I don't think God has a bone to pick with anyone who sings it. Who wrote it, BTW? Has he come out and condemned the song?
Matt Redman wrote both songs; "The Heart of Worship", AND Gifted Response, AND the book "Facedown" that explains why we are to have trinitarian worship.

I don't think he has condemned his song...not that i know of. I just noticed it when I was playing it by myself...
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:44 PM   #110
She's a guitar hero!

Send a message via AIM to Dave H
Isn't Jesus also God? If it's all about Jesus, isn't also all about God the Father, and the Spirit as well?

By your logic, we could very well throw out at least 90% of all songs and hymns since they don't mention specifically the 3 parts of the Trinity? I haven't read the book so I don't know exactly what Redman's definition of trinitarian worship is, but if that's the case, I think it would be hard to fit most songs into that category.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:56 PM   #111

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_01
Isn't Jesus also God? If it's all about Jesus, isn't also all about God the Father, and the Spirit as well?
Jesus is God, but God isn't limited to Jesus. Its the square-rectangle thing. All squares are rectangels but not all rectangels are squares. Jesus is all God, but God isn't all Jesus.....uhhh yeah something like that.

Quote:
By your logic, we could very well throw out at least 90% of all songs and hymns since they don't mention specifically the 3 parts of the Trinity?
That doesn't make any sense. No one is argueing that EVERY song should be about ALL parts of the trinity. The point is that all parts of the Trinity should be covered in our worship.

Further, HIS logic wouldn't throw out 90% of songs. It would throw out songs that make statements like "All about you, Jesus." Simply put, it is NOT all about Jesus. There is a HUGE difference between saying "'its all about you, Jesus' is an incorrect statement," and claiming, "Every song has to mention all of the trinity."
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #112
Policy Terrorist

I'm not sure if this is what Sean was saying or not....but I wasn't saying that every song should specifically mention all 3 parts of the trinity. Just that it shouldn't say that worship is all about one part of it, because it is in fact about all 3 parts, and not all about one. If a song doesn't mention all 3 parts of the trinity, that's not a big deal. But if it says worship is only about one part...then that itches my concience a little.
Unread 11-27-2004, 04:19 PM   #113
seeking God

My bet is that the reason Redman chose "Jesus" instead of "God" is because it fits the musical phrase he wanted better. It is likely that his intention was not to declare that worship is only about one part of the Triune God-Head, but the literal meaning of that phrase would imply that.
Unread 11-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #114
Policy Terrorist

Yeah, I don't think that he originally meant that we should only worship the Son. But yeah, it would literally translate to that. And since this thread is about nitpicks...I thought I'd mention it. I actually scratched it from the songlist. It "itches" me too much, if you know what I mean. It's not that I have a huge problem with it, 'cause I know that Redman didn't originally mean a theological fallacy, and I know that people don't generally assume it that way. But that's what I'll be thinking about when I sing that part. It will itch my concience.
Unread 11-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #115
She's a guitar hero!

All right...I think I understand now and my apologies to all for misunderstanding and trying to take us down the wrong path

I think I agree with Georgeo here...and Drew I see what you're saying as well
Unread 11-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #116
rockerclb

When i saw the Newsboys a week ago they said during Amazing Love " In all i do let me honor you" instead
rockerclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #117

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerclb
When i saw the Newsboys a week ago they said during Amazing Love " In all i do let me honor you" instead
Yes they also change the line on their recording of the song.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #118
support the rabid

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkway
I don't know if this falls in the same area or not, but my senior pastor will not let me do "Let My Words Be Few" by Matt Redman because of the statement "Jesus I am so in love with you." He tells me that men won't sing that line because it's too sissy-ish, so we shouldn't do it. Then I remind him that he listens to K-Love, so who is the sissy?

So I thought about changing it to: "Jesus, I sometimes think you're swell." Or maybe "Jesus, I'm checking the box that says 'Maybe'." Or perhaps "Jesus I love you in the most non-gay or effeminate meaning possible."
My wife reminded me last night that her favorite rendering of a manly way to change that line of Let My Words Be Few that I gave her was:

"Jesus I would watch a football game with You."

I've decided to embrace today - "May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace."

Peace,

Adam
psalm63adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #119
She's a guitar hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkway
My wife reminded me last night that her favorite rendering of a manly way to change that line of Let My Words Be Few that I gave her was:

"Jesus I would watch a football game with You."

Yeah, but would Jesus want to watch the Cardinals, or gasp! the Bears?

Unread 12-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #120
Policy Terrorist

I think it's ubsurd to think that line is too "sissy" to sing. I won't even get started on why...