Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #256
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula View Post
I guess what I'm saying is they seem childish and juvenile to you. I would probably agree with you on some of them, but it's a matter of personal preference, and opinion. Biblically I believe they hold up.
I understand we have differences of opinion. I don't like all of the songs we do at our church but we have four people (myself included) who pick them out. I have changed some songs that I felt were totally inappropriate.

Juvenile was probably not the best word. I meant shallow and immature. Jesus Loves Me is childish but I have no problems with it.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #257
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
On what theological grounds?
The only recorded animal in history that spoke was a donkey. Not a fox. The fox says nothing. #teamdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 01:44 AM   #258
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
The only recorded animal in history that spoke was a donkey. Not a fox. The fox says nothing. #teamdonkey
The serpent did too
Unread 02-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #259

Just stumbled onto the recent discussion and thought I’d pick up with a comment relating to where the thread was resurrected…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw Pete View Post
I remember a number of years ago one of our worship teams did a song that I think was called "Today" - "...Today I choose to follow you. Today I choose to give my yes to you..."

The following week at a staff meeting, one of the pastors (semi-retired, part-time) called that song flat-out heretical, that we don't choose God, he chooses us... While I personally didn't really care for the song, I didn't find it heretical. I tried to communicate what I thought the song was saying, which was not that we were choosing to follow of our own volition, but of course responding to the call of God, the great initiator, who first loved us. In order for us to give our "yes" there has to be an invitation given first for us to respond to, right?

Thoughts?
I would suspect that song is a response/reference to the passage in the old testament where joshua tells the people of Israel to choose who to serve (joshua 24:15) and that as for him and his house, they will serve the Lord.

It’s interesting that the same passage also talks about the “gods” that they could choose to serve instead, following on from the discussion here in 2014.

Similarly, the line brought up in come now is the time reads to me like a response to the scriptures paraphrased/quoted in the line before it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
I think the first time I ever started to actually pay attention to lyrics was when Come Now Is The Time To Worship hit it big. Yes, it's been that long. I'll sing it, but I don't really like it for one main line.

"Still the greatest treasure remains for those who choose You now."

There's nothing wrong with it at first glance, but dig deeper and you start to question, is it a universal thought? By that I mean, it implies that there is a treasure (Heaven) that is waiting for everyone, but the greatest treasure is for those that choose Christ now (Christians) instead of later.
the line immediately before that line is “one day every tongue will confess you are God, one day every knee will bow”- which does sound pretty universal, but is taken from passages such as Phillipians 2:10-11, romans 14:11 and Isaiah 45:23-24
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #260
Lo, He comes...

paid
"How Deep the Father's Love For Us"

Specifically, the line about the Father turning His face away. Because I reject penal substitutionary atonement theory and the idea that, if even for a moment, the Father was disgusted by the Son and could not look upon Him, I consider this horrendously bad theology.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #261

I thought of it as Christians experiencing full separation from the father. Not as the father was disgusted, but that he let Jesus experience the full weight of our sins. I also don't believe the article is correct in the assumption that man placed laws on God, but I see it as God doing something because it is his nature to do so, it is who he is. Interesting views, and I am definitely going to study on the article some more. Thank you.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw Pete View Post
I remember a number of years ago one of our worship teams did a song that I think was called "Today" - "...Today I choose to follow you. Today I choose to give my yes to you..."

The following week at a staff meeting, one of the pastors (semi-retired, part-time) called that song flat-out heretical, that we don't choose God, he chooses us... While I personally didn't really care for the song, I didn't find it heretical. I tried to communicate what I thought the song was saying, which was not that we were choosing to follow of our own volition, but of course responding to the call of God, the great initiator, who first loved us. In order for us to give our "yes" there has to be an invitation given first for us to respond to, right?

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtherocker View Post
I would suspect that song is a response/reference to the passage in the old testament where joshua tells the people of Israel to choose who to serve (joshua 24:15) and that as for him and his house, they will serve the Lord.
Yeah, that is what came to mind for me as well when I heard the song.

I've experienced a few times where people would call something "heretical" or "not sound doctrine" even before having a conversation about the inspiration for the text or lyric, or listening to someone's different interpretation. I love wrestling through things like that with an open mind and friendly dialogue, which is why I've enjoyed reading this thread so much!
Southpaw Pete is offline   Reply With Quote