Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #196

I do recall at least one of them being introduced as a prayer. It does seem entirely probable that poetry and song were intertwined in that culture.

-Matthew 6:33

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12
spmantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #197
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmantar
It does seem entirely probable that poetry and song were intertwined in that culture.
That would be my guess, but I really don't have any evidence off-hand that would suggest that.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #198
Dr Mike

Worship leaders need to be concerned with what impressions they are leaving and how they are shaping thinking and feeling.
The song 'Above All' doesn't keep things God centered but more man centered. The song has a nice feel to it, but the lyrics need to be reworked or avoided

"Above all", as in the original drives to a man centered ending It is not all about us. There are yet other reasons
As it stands most people hear it as saying Jesus was thinking of me above all other concerns. It's true that the elect were in His mind before time began. It's not true we were the chief end of God. A means to the chief ends, perhaps..... I would skip the song.
The counter intuitive truth is that when we make it all about God we are happier and most satisfied.

"He leads me in paths of righteousness for His names sake' Psalms
"I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake; and I will not remember thy sins." Isaiah
"I will act for My own sake, indeed, My own, for how can I be defiled? I will not give My glory to another." Isaiah
For your name’s sake, O LORD, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! Psalms

It is true that showing mercy in Christ is near the apex of God's glory, and while we are the happy recipients of being near the apex we are not the apex.
A good discussion is in "The End for which God made the world" by Jonathan Edward

The problem is going for the nice feel and leaving misleading impressions like 'It's all about me'
Jer 14:21 For the sake of your name do not despise us; do not dishonor your glorious throne. Remember your covenant with us and do not break it.

Last edited by whirlingmerc; 07-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.
whirlingmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #199

I just read through 14 pages of this discussion. I miss the "old days"...kind of.

And just to add to the necromancy, the early 2000s did seem to be ripe with songs containing theologically odd lyrics.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #200
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlingmerc View Post
Worship leaders need to be concerned with what impressions they are leaving and how they are shaping thinking and feeling.
The song 'Above All' doesn't keep things God centered but more man centered. The song has a nice feel to it, but the lyrics need to be reworked or avoided

"Above all", as in the original drives to a man centered ending It is not all about us. There are yet other reasons
As it stands most people hear it as saying Jesus was thinking of me above all other concerns. It's true that the elect were in His mind before time began. It's not true we were the chief end of God. A means to the chief ends, perhaps..... I would skip the song.
The counter intuitive truth is that when we make it all about God we are happier and most satisfied.

"He leads me in paths of righteousness for His names sake' Psalms
"I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake; and I will not remember thy sins." Isaiah
"I will act for My own sake, indeed, My own, for how can I be defiled? I will not give My glory to another." Isaiah
For your names sake, O LORD, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! Psalms

It is true that showing mercy in Christ is near the apex of God's glory, and while we are the happy recipients of being near the apex we are not the apex.
A good discussion is in "The End for which God made the world" by Jonathan Edward

The problem is going for the nice feel and leaving misleading impressions like 'It's all about me'
Jer 14:21 For the sake of your name do not despise us; do not dishonor your glorious throne. Remember your covenant with us and do not break it.
I don't like the song, but I think it's fairly innoccuous. Sure it's kind of self-centered but isn't it kind of a different way of stating John 3:16? He gave his only son that whosoever believes would not perish... That's the point of the song. I dont' think it's "the reason for creation is because of me myself and I"

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #201
طعام الكلب

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Its a pretty old song isint it? Do churches still play it?
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #202
Ba da ba ba ba

I don't recall playing that song any time within the past ten years.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #203
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
The last time I heard it, granted I don't go to church as much as I should and when I did the church I was attending played songs most people have probably never heard of (it was a hipster church, and no that wasn't a hipster joke but it would work for their music), was probably right after Michael W. Smith's version got a lot of play. I think that was like 2005.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #204
I Saw That
Administrator

paid
We did it back in March.

John 14:6 (CSB)

YouTube Stuff
Lee's Sermons
Blog
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #205

paid
Quote:
My home church does it every few months, we changed the line "and thought of him above all"

My current church does it like once a year it seems, and the line is "and rose to be above all"
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #206
Person

I've never particularly liked that song. Aside from the potentially questionable end of the chorus, it's melody and arrangement always felt like it was more of a "performance" song than a congregational song. To me it screams "let's get the prettiest girl in the music team to sing it solo as a performance."

That said, I'm sure there are worse songs out there that are being used in a congregational context.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #207

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
I haven't heard it in a long time.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE...based on the first 10 pages of this thread, I was kind of unpleasant with people I disagreed with 10 years ago.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #208
assistant regional mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RM
We did it back in March.
I heard it, he speaks the truth

Sent from my iPad using CGR Forum

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #209
David P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
ON A DIFFERENT NOTE...based on the first 10 pages of this thread, I was kind of unpleasant with people I disagreed with 10 years ago.
This made me lulz.
relient nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #210

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by relient nelson View Post
This made me lulz.
Haha

It's really kind of weird to read. I agree with what I was saying. I agree with my reasoning. Just I said it in such an abrasive way. I actually remember this discussion.

Maybe I should go back and re-read a bunch threads to see all the people I need to apologize to.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote