Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you smash guitars?
Yes 1 1.47%
No 4 5.88%
Are you crazy? 26 38.24%
Just call me Pete Townshend! 0 0%
Guitars are instruments, not baseball bats! 19 27.94%
I'd like to smash one... 16 23.53%
I've done it, and look upon it most regretfully. 0 0%
I r livng in cave. 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #76
No Comment

i had no idea there were so many factors involved in smashing a guitar, when you say you do it to show your angry, i dont think thats a very good reason to smash a guitar, maybe if your so caught up in the music, and the fans are into it, and theres an awesome show, and your just so into it that u cant help yourself, then i guess u can smash it, but dont do it just to prove a point that u can, if u do it to release anger, get a broomstick and break it or somethin, not a guitar, also i always wondered, if ur "planning" to break a guitar (which is what ud have to do to break one u dont use) cuz u cant smash a guitar u dont use unless u plan ahead and have it ready or somethin, which kind of ruins the spur of the moment awesome time to smash ur guitar, would u play with it all night? or let the bass/backup player take over, slip off the stage while no1s looking, come back with a different guitar and hope no1 notices? never thought about that before

------------------------------
My new and improved blog! Go there.... now.
JC_music07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #77
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_music07
i had no idea there were so many factors involved in smashing a guitar,
Me neither...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 12:06 AM   #78
...loves his hollowbody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkess
I can't believe someone would think that! A person would be insane to smash good guitar! Golly, do you have any idea how many people would love even just an ok guitar? Well, my signature says I would, but I know a few of my friends would and I'm sure there are tons of others. And like you said:
If it's all about the music, then it's not about smashing a good guitar just so you look cool and your fans think you're awesome. And being as we're all Christians here, it would be much better to give the guitar to a kid who would appreciate it. I don't think you'd have a hard time finding someone who would.

P.S. And personally, I don't have a problem with smashing crap guitars like First Acts. I mean, you can have the crowds think you're awesome, and you're not really wasting anything. Though, if I had a First Act that someone wanted, I'd give it to him/her before I smashed it.
You dont understand fully the statement that is made by smashing a guitar. It isnt something you do to "look cool", and if that's what you're doing it for, I think that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Smashing a "First Act" guitar is also a stupid thing to do as well, because it's obviously just to look cool. I don't think most people in this thread get it at all. It's not about "looking cool". It's an artistic statement and an outlet of the energy produced by the music. It's a way of expressing yourself through another artistic form besides music. I guess most people here don't appreciate artistic expression.

I actually would rather see a guy toss a guitar or just drop it to the ground or something instead of just smashing it. I think it conveys the statement a little better, and the guitar might still be functional, just with some sweet battle wounds.
Understood. And I can even agree with what you said about it be an artistic thing. And despite my P.S., I agree that smashing a First Act would be pretty stupid. The reason I said I didn't have a problem smashing First Acts is because I'm aware that they are crap; thus, no good guitar player would want one. What I was trying to say is there are more noble things you could do with it rather then just destroying it. As for the tossing the guitar or dropping it...I think there is a very good chance you would ruin it, and you might have dashed the dreams of some kid that doesn't have the money to buy a good guitar.

Hope there's no hard feelings!

P.S. Oh, and by the way, I am so not talking about myself when I talk about kids who might want a guitar. I mean, while I would appreciate it, I'm planning on making my electric guitar when I get the money (have to finish paying off my car first, though...) I guess I should change my signature, huh?
Pod XT Live
Peavey Classic 30

<a href="http://www.purevolume.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">Check out my band, Remnant, on purevolume.com</a>

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">and on myspace</a>
JaytheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #79
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
WHen you grow up as a Kiss fan and see Paul Stanley bashing guitars for as long as you can remember. The ideal of smashing a guitar on stage as part of the show really becomes coman place, well to me any way. Just think if a guitar player for a Chiristian band smashed a guitar and threw the body and neck in to the crawd, that would blow peoples minds. And really set the show aspect of you concert apart from every other band out there. But just smashing a guitar for the sake of smashing it, I'll even say thats stupid. And I think a great stage show is what is lacking in christian music and I know people are gonna be well that isn't the point of Christian music. But my point on that is why can't you go see a christian band just for the entertainment. But I do believe that there is a difference when it comes to guitar smashing, and I would never smash one of my main guitars.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 02:09 AM   #80
Skynyrd Gomer

[QOTE=Bil SPrestoEsq]apprently ou never saw the pig...

I have seen dozens of guitar smashings at Christian concerts. I have seen bands with flaming instruments, but destruction of a musical instrument that half the crowd wishes they could afford is awful. I saw a limited edition custom sg go down at a project 86 show. thankfully it resulted in them being booed offstage by the arena.

It has not had shock value in ages.

Its a cliche

an insulting cliche.[/QUOTE]
Your right I haven't. Christian music in my area that is pushed is mostly your popish stuff. My self would I smash one well yes but there is smothing else I would rather do insted that I like better. I've never said do it for shock value, I'm saying do it as part of the show.
Unread 09-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #81
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
WHen you grow up as a Kiss fan and see Paul Stanley bashing guitars for as long as you can remember. The ideal of smashing a guitar on stage as part of the show really becomes coman place, well to me any way. Just think if a guitar player for a Chiristian band smashed a guitar and threw the body and neck in to the crawd, that would blow peoples minds. And really set the show aspect of you concert apart from every other band out there. But just smashing a guitar for the sake of smashing it, I'll even say thats stupid. And I think a great stage show is what is lacking in christian music and I know people are gonna be well that isn't the point of Christian music. But my point on that is why can't you go see a christian band just for the entertainment. But I do believe that there is a difference when it comes to guitar smashing, and I would never smash one of my main guitars.

apparently you never saw the pig...

I have seen dozens of guitar smashings at Christian concerts. I have seen bands with flaming instruments, but destruction of a musical instrument that half the crowd wishes they could afford is awful. I saw a limited edition custom sg go down at a project 86 show. thankfully it resulted in them being booed offstage by the arena.

It has not had shock value in ages.

Its a cliche

an insulting cliche.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #82
Why am I still here?

You average music listener doesnt even know how much a guitar costs.

I agree it has become cliche to a degree. I think if you're playing an older style rock and roll, then I think it can be done as somewhat of an homage to the past rockers. But if you're playing death metal, it comes off as more of a cliche, destructive, shock value seeking action. I think there are certain instances where it can be done and other where it comes off horribly.
Unread 09-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #83
Is back!

Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:

I agree it has become cliche to a degree. I think if you're playing an older style rock and roll, then I think it can be done as somewhat of an homage to the past rockers. But if you're playing death metal, it comes off as more of a cliche, destructive, shock value seeking action. I think there are certain instances where it can be done and other where it comes off horribly.
alternative rock.

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #84
Skynyrd Gomer

Quote:

I agree. I agree about the average music listener also because I went to the Godsmack board trying to find out what all gear they use becasue I'm a gear head. But the people that post on that board are almost all average music listeners. They treated me like an idiot for asjing that question. And their music forum is basicly all what do you think about this song and things like that.
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #85
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
I agree. I agree about the average music listener also because I went to the Godsmack board trying to find out what all gear they use becasue I'm a gear head. But the people that post on that board are almost all average music listeners. They treated me like an idiot for asjing that question. And their music forum is basicly all what do you think about this song and things like that.
Godsmack? With you're screen name and the Skynyrd reference underneath it, you started pretty high in my eyes. No offense, but you just lost a notch in my book
Unread 09-09-2004, 10:30 PM   #86
Skynyrd Gomer

My music listeming has chnged so much in the last 6 months. Lets put it this way I don't really like rock music, metal inclueded. 90-95% of what I listen to is country. It was like one day I just woke up and didn't like rock and almost compleatly dislike metal. Ever since I bought Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors I haven't looked back.
Unread 09-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #87
Why am I still here?

Haha, its cool man. I was half joking anyways..... country doesnt help your case much though . Haha, just messing with ya.
Unread 09-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #88
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
i dont see anything wrong with smashing guitars, regardless how expensive it is. its their guitar, their money, if they want to waste 1k or up on a stage, that is their issue.

the only thing i would think is bad is if after they smash it they throw it into the crowd, that could be dangerous. other then that, if you want to smash your axe, do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 09:08 PM   #89
I love the lil' tacos...

Send a message via AIM to stratguitarist Send a message via MSN to stratguitarist Send a message via Yahoo to stratguitarist
aagh! i hate it when people smash guitars. its like, all that beautiful work broken and splintered all over the place! i mean if they don't want it, give it to me, i'll take it. they could just like throw it out in the croud or something. that'd be cool.
Unread 09-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #90
Is back!

Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguitarist
aagh! i hate it when people smash guitars. its like, all that beautiful work broken and splintered all over the place!
all that beautiful, mass-produced, factory-made work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguitarist
i mean if they don't want it, give it to me, i'll take it. they could just like throw it out in the croud or something. that'd be cool.
okay, if anyone threw a guitar at me while iw as in the crowd, i would sue them.

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote