Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you smash guitars?
Yes 1 1.47%
No 4 5.88%
Are you crazy? 26 38.24%
Just call me Pete Townshend! 0 0%
Guitars are instruments, not baseball bats! 19 27.94%
I'd like to smash one... 16 23.53%
I've done it, and look upon it most regretfully. 0 0%
I r livng in cave. 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #61
Why am I still here?
 
ApparentlyNothing's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_guitar1990
great advice dude. we dont suck, in my opinion. and dont worry, i wont smash it unless its a really good moment. and its not like i went out and bought this for the sole purpose of breaking it. i bought it as a beginner instrument. i also find what you say about purposely using a cheap instrument just for show and not really having the rock star attitude true. but this guitar just happens to be crappy.
Well, IMO, I would only do it in your situation if you had a very large crowd, you (as a band) played exceptionally well, the crowd loves you, and you have someone to clean it up after you. Cause you'll look like a dork if you clean it up yourself instead of walking off stage right after you do it. That's probably why you really only see big bands do it because they have roadies to set up and tear down their gear.

__________________
ApparentlyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #62
...loves his hollowbody!
 
JaytheK's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
My opinion on the matter is, buying a cheap guitar to do it pretty much negates the whole point of doing it. It's part of the rock n roll attitude. It's not about the instrument. It's not about the piece of wood, the pickups, the metal strings, etc. It's all about the music. It's about the experience. It's about the emotion and the feeling that swells up when you play that wicked sweet solo. It's about the energy that is created when a guy jumps off a speaker stack and is caught by the screaming fans below. It's about not caring how much that guitar or amp cost, because in the end its all about the music you made with it, not the instrument itself. Smashing it is almost an artistic statement to that effect. If you purposely use a cheap instrument, it's kinda just putting on the show of the rock star attitude when you really dont have it. So don't do it till you can afford to do it.
I can't believe someone would think that! A person would be insane to smash good guitar! Golly, do you have any idea how many people would love even just an ok guitar? Well, my signature says I would, but I know a few of my friends would and I'm sure there are tons of others. And like you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
It's all about the music.
If it's all about the music, then it's not about smashing a good guitar just so you look cool and your fans think you're awesome. And being as we're all Christians here, it would be much better to give the guitar to a kid who would appreciate it. I don't think you'd have a hard time finding someone who would.

P.S. And personally, I don't have a problem with smashing crap guitars like First Acts. I mean, you can have the crowds think you're awesome, and you're not really wasting anything. Though, if I had a First Act that someone wanted, I'd give it to him/her before I smashed it.
__________________
My rig:
Ovation Celebrity (sparkly-blue )
Ibanez AG86 Artcore
Pod XT Live
Peavey Classic 30

<a href="http://www.purevolume.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">Check out my band, Remnant, on purevolume.com</a>

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">and on myspace</a>
JaytheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #63
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkess
I can't believe someone would think that! A person would be insane to smash good guitar! Golly, do you have any idea how many people would love even just an ok guitar? Well, my signature says I would, but I know a few of my friends would and I'm sure there are tons of others.
the truth is, i would keep this guitar, but its basically unplayable. its like playing a guitar that has had the strings on it for about five years, even though the strings are brand new. but yeh. im sure some kid would appreciate it. the fact that everyone in my town has a guitar now and theyre all first acts makes it a lot easier to give it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkess
If it's all about the music, then it's not about smashing a good guitar just so you look cool and your fans think you're awesome. And being as we're all Christians here, it would be much better to give the guitar to a kid who would appreciate it. I don't think you'd have a hard time finding someone who would.
okay if im gonna give a guitar away, its going to be a nice guitar. and about the "smashing a good guitar just so you look cool" thing really isnt really me. i dont normally do things to be cool, mainly because of the fact taht im a geek. i would do this because I wanted to and i think itd be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkess
Though, if I had a First Act that someone wanted, I'd give it to him/her before I smashed it.
well u wouldnt want to give it to him/her after you smashed it.
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #64
Why am I still here?
 
ApparentlyNothing's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkess
I can't believe someone would think that! A person would be insane to smash good guitar! Golly, do you have any idea how many people would love even just an ok guitar? Well, my signature says I would, but I know a few of my friends would and I'm sure there are tons of others. And like you said:
If it's all about the music, then it's not about smashing a good guitar just so you look cool and your fans think you're awesome. And being as we're all Christians here, it would be much better to give the guitar to a kid who would appreciate it. I don't think you'd have a hard time finding someone who would.

P.S. And personally, I don't have a problem with smashing crap guitars like First Acts. I mean, you can have the crowds think you're awesome, and you're not really wasting anything. Though, if I had a First Act that someone wanted, I'd give it to him/her before I smashed it.
You dont understand fully the statement that is made by smashing a guitar. It isnt something you do to "look cool", and if that's what you're doing it for, I think that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Smashing a "First Act" guitar is also a stupid thing to do as well, because it's obviously just to look cool. I don't think most people in this thread get it at all. It's not about "looking cool". It's an artistic statement and an outlet of the energy produced by the music. It's a way of expressing yourself through another artistic form besides music. I guess most people here don't appreciate artistic expression.

I actually would rather see a guy toss a guitar or just drop it to the ground or something instead of just smashing it. I think it conveys the statement a little better, and the guitar might still be functional, just with some sweet battle wounds.
__________________
ApparentlyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #65
does not look like this
 
someone13's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: (lo-ka-shun) n. That which is located; a tract of land designated in place
Posts: 870
Send a message via AIM to someone13
has anyone else here even done it b4 where is your destructive spirit? I don't do it regularly but I can't say I haven't either of course it wasn't anything I really wanted.... It was just a plywood body and a silvertone neck but it was fun
__________________
Green eggs and Blog .
someone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #66
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
You dont understand fully the statement that is made by smashing a guitar. It isnt something you do to "look cool", and if that's what you're doing it for, I think that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Smashing a "First Act" guitar is also a stupid thing to do as well, because it's obviously just to look cool. I don't think most people in this thread get it at all. It's not about "looking cool". It's an artistic statement and an outlet of the energy produced by the music. It's a way of expressing yourself through another artistic form besides music. I guess most people here don't appreciate artistic expression.

I actually would rather see a guy toss a guitar or just drop it to the ground or something instead of just smashing it. I think it conveys the statement a little better, and the guitar might still be functional, just with some sweet battle wounds.
very nice. but dude, i do appreciate artistic expression! tahts what my life is about! but i just cant smash my strat for personal reasons... i have thrown, dropped, and stepped on it many of times though...but i just...i guess ur right. i wont smash it because its just showing that im not artisticly driven enough to smash my favorite guitar. but i completely agree with everything you said. maybe i dont understand what smashing is about, but i do know thats it is a form of expression, not to look cool...i was thinking about smashing it after playing the song "Polly" since its so emotional...i dont know though, dude. ur completely right.
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #67
Why am I still here?
 
ApparentlyNothing's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone13
has anyone else here even done it b4 where is your destructive spirit? I don't do it regularly but I can't say I haven't either of course it wasn't anything I really wanted.... It was just a plywood body and a silvertone neck but it was fun
That's why so many people here are opposing smashing guitars. Your attitude of it being "destructive" is what is wrong with it. You don't smash a guitar to smash a guitar and be destructive. That's what people are saying when they say you grow out of it, because that's a pretty immature attitude. It's like when teenage kids go out and start vandalizing things for the thrill. That's not what smashing a guitar is about at all. Well, at least it shouldnt be. The destruction itself can be a statement, but you dont smash it just to smash it. Destruction for the sake of destruction is stupid. Too many kids think its cool now simply because of the smashing, but they dont get the statement behind it. They just think its cool to smash something. If you're gonna do it for that reason, then go smash something that isnt worth so much, or do it in your backyard by yourself so no one sees you make a fool of yourself. While you're at it, you can get a bunch of friends together, film it, set it on fire, then send the video to Jackass or something.
__________________
ApparentlyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #68
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Is that artsy fartsy attitude really anything other than a slightly more sophisticated version of the same immaturity?

I have 3 electric guitars. I dont care how into a solo I get, I would never smash them, because.

A. Its stupid
B. I could not replace them
C. Its a sign of wealth no less insulting to the unfortunate than burning money for the heck of it.

Now before anyone thinks I am some ultra conservative, I am an old school punk-metal fiend when it comes to music.

but having lived a bit longer than most who think its cool, I see the artistic statement as, "I have enough money to throw away a perfectely good instrument and make sure it is worthless."

Now another thing is I built my main electric. After spending a year carving it with a pocketknife, no artsy fartsy idiot better drop it even. I'd beat the crap outa someone if they did. (I know that is not right, but it is the truth)
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #69
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
That's why so many people here are opposing smashing guitars. Your attitude of it being "destructive" is what is wrong with it. You don't smash a guitar to smash a guitar and be destructive. That's what people are saying when they say you grow out of it, because that's a pretty immature attitude. It's like when teenage kids go out and start vandalizing things for the thrill. That's not what smashing a guitar is about at all. Well, at least it shouldnt be. The destruction itself can be a statement, but you dont smash it just to smash it. Destruction for the sake of destruction is stupid. Too many kids think its cool now simply because of the smashing, but they dont get the statement behind it. They just think its cool to smash something. If you're gonna do it for that reason, then go smash something that isnt worth so much, or do it in your backyard by yourself so no one sees you make a fool of yourself. While you're at it, you can get a bunch of friends together, film it, set it on fire, then send the video to Jackass or something.
i agree.
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #70
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
Is that artsy fartsy attitude really anything other than a slightly more sophisticated version of the same immaturity?

I have 3 electric guitars. I dont care how into a solo I get, I would never smash them, because.

A. Its stupid
B. I could not replace them
C. Its a sign of wealth no less insulting to the unfortunate than burning money for the heck of it.

Now before anyone thinks I am some ultra conservative, I am an old school punk-metal fiend when it comes to music.

but having lived a bit longer than most who think its cool, I see the artistic statement as, "I have enough money to throw away a perfectely good instrument and make sure it is worthless."

Now another thing is I built my main electric. After spending a year carving it with a pocketknife, no artsy fartsy idiot better drop it even. I'd beat the crap outa someone if they did. (I know that is not right, but it is the truth)
i would too. but i would NEVER EVER smash a guitar i built! nor would i smash a guitar that has any kind of personal value to me. if i wittled a guitar out of a tree trunk with a pocket knife, i would NEVER break it. i just dont want to be taken the wrong way. im not some little rocker-wannabe 14-year-old trying to be cool by smashing his way into popularity. no way, guys.
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #71
Why am I still here?
 
ApparentlyNothing's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
Is that artsy fartsy attitude really anything other than a slightly more sophisticated version of the same immaturity?

I have 3 electric guitars. I dont care how into a solo I get, I would never smash them, because.

A. Its stupid
B. I could not replace them
C. Its a sign of wealth no less insulting to the unfortunate than burning money for the heck of it.

Now before anyone thinks I am some ultra conservative, I am an old school punk-metal fiend when it comes to music.

but having lived a bit longer than most who think its cool, I see the artistic statement as, "I have enough money to throw away a perfectely good instrument and make sure it is worthless."

Now another thing is I built my main electric. After spending a year carving it with a pocketknife, no artsy fartsy idiot better drop it even. I'd beat the crap outa someone if they did. (I know that is not right, but it is the truth)
All I'm saying is that when Jimi Hendrix burned his guitar, and when Pete Townshend smashed his guitars, it was not viewed the same way you are viewing it. I think the culture we're living in now has a lot to do with how you view it. Imagine rock and roll like Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath coming out for the first time. There was nothing like that kinda music then. Smashing guitars was also a new thing obviously, that rebelled against the culture and against the common preconceptions about music. When someone smashes a guitar now, it's seen as a sign of simple destruction, and isnt even rebellion anymore because it's a much more commonplace thing.

I'm not saying smash your $4000 piece of art guitar, or a guitar you built with your own hands. That would be pretty stupid as well. I'm not really saying anyone even should smash their guitar to express themselves. I'm just advocating the great guitar heros of the past who pioneered it. I personally think rock_guitar1990 shouldnt do it because I sense it would be for the wrong reasons and would simply be wreckless on his part. I think that it can be done effectively in the present day by certain guitarists in certain bands, but a lot of times I can definitly see it being expressed more the way you see it. It is an "artistic" expression, so it is up for interpretation, I believe based on the "artist". You have to interpret what the individual "artist" is conveying and not stereotype and generalize.
__________________
ApparentlyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:15 PM   #72
sir.
 
sabertooth181's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,118
Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
i say we move this to the theology forum and discuss why and why not it is morally right to smash guitars........
__________________
-Neal B.
sabertooth181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #73
Straight Edge Life.
 
smashing guitar's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Indie ana
Posts: 1,446
Send a message via AIM to smashing guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_music07
i think im scarred for life, no one should have to see that those strat necks better not be fenders
hahahaha the pis didnt come up, all i see is a box with an x in it.
__________________
Freinds?
smashing guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #74
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
here u go...
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #75
Is back!
 
rock_guitar1990's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2003
Location: LeRoy, IL
Posts: 2,687
Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
All I'm saying is that when Jimi Hendrix burned his guitar, and when Pete Townshend smashed his guitars, it was not viewed the same way you are viewing it. I think the culture we're living in now has a lot to do with how you view it. Imagine rock and roll like Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath coming out for the first time. There was nothing like that kinda music then. Smashing guitars was also a new thing obviously, that rebelled against the culture and against the common preconceptions about music. When someone smashes a guitar now, it's seen as a sign of simple destruction, and isnt even rebellion anymore because it's a much more commonplace thing.

I'm not saying smash your $4000 piece of art guitar, or a guitar you built with your own hands. That would be pretty stupid as well. I'm not really saying anyone even should smash their guitar to express themselves. I'm just advocating the great guitar heros of the past who pioneered it. I personally think rock_guitar1990 shouldnt do it because I sense it would be for the wrong reasons and would simply be wreckless on his part.
i understand everything ur saying. but i dont want to smash this guitar to be wreckless, like ive said a million times before. im just gonna flat out say what i think...

i think guitar smashing is showing that you dont care waht people think. that you want to change music and u arent going to let anything get in ur way. you're showing that you don't care what anybody thinks about you. you're showing that you're angry. its a release of angst. it ties in with the music...its...hard to explain....but thatd be why i smash a guitar...not simply to be wreckles...tahts my opinion. i think everyone has their own feeligns about it. some people think its horrid. some people think of it as an art. others use it as a ticket into the mainstream...but i guess its whatever u want it to be.
__________________
- Christopher

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2