Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you smash guitars?
Yes 1 1.47%
No 4 5.88%
Are you crazy? 26 38.24%
Just call me Pete Townshend! 0 0%
Guitars are instruments, not baseball bats! 19 27.94%
I'd like to smash one... 16 23.53%
I've done it, and look upon it most regretfully. 0 0%
I r livng in cave. 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #46
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_music07
cuz for the price it would take to make a first act good u could just by a brand new one

not really, you could also give it to someone who would appreciate it.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #47
blah

Send a message via AIM to nirvanarocks Send a message via MSN to nirvanarocks Send a message via Yahoo to nirvanarocks
i dont think anyone would appreciate a first act. trust me, im chris's friend and i've seen that guitar before.....cant really explain how bad it was, no offense...but if someone wants to smash their guitar, just let them do it....you only live once.....or a couple times, whatever your beliefs are. but thats besides the point....whats the big deal with smashing guitars, its your guitar, you bought it, why not do what you will with it. guitars dont have feelings.....they are made out of wood and other stuff...and its not the rich people that do it just cuz they have money to buy more guitars, cuz kurt cobain did it before he made any money...i mean yea, no one is gonna go out and smash a 500 dollar guitar but if its crappy, why the heck not?
nirvanarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 10:25 PM   #48
Is back!

Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
not really, you could also give it to someone who would appreciate it.
i understand where u r coming from, dude, but this thing...i mean id give it to u but u would send it back!

Frank-n-Furter, it's all over
Your mission is a failure, your lifestyle's too extreme
I'm your new commander, you now are my prisoner
We return to Transylvania, prepare the transit beam!
rock_guitar1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #49
Eaten by a grue

When my friend was young, he got so mad at his father for telling him to turn his guitar playing down that he took his guitar outside and chop it up on his lawn with an axe.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #50
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
When your a Kiss fan guitar smashing becomes very appealing. I would never bust one of my main guitars, but you give me a $99 Epi or Squeir Bullet and I'll trash it Paul Stanley style. And I can't stand them First Act guitars because if people would be willing to look there are a lot better guitars out there for just a little more. I wouldn't even wast money on a First Act to bust.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #51
They Call me Elf Boy

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet Send a message via Yahoo to PiousPoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_music07
wut about the not so beautiful, extremely cheap, peice of trash guitars?
I don't care if they're cheap. They have feelings too, and it doesn't help when everyone is bagging on them. Poor guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_guitar1990
its made of plywood. the finish is scratched. there are no strings. the wood is chipping i already have splinters from the neck. the paint is beginning to fade. the humbucker is crap. the wiring is crap. its a useless piece of junk that looked halfway decent new, but a few years have really taken its toll.
It's still a guitar though and has it's feelings. How would you like it if someone took an axe or whatever into your side?

Hohner HW640
Neldë cormar aranin eldaron nu i vilya.

Visit my blog here.

Otornolla mi Eru,
Erunámo Meldinciel
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:34 PM   #52
Registered Loser...

Send a message via AIM to iAMspartacus
this is what i think happens after you smash a guitar:

YOu smash it on stage

some people go "WOOOOOOO! YOU GUYS ROCK!" (<---only if your show was great)

some people think you're a moron and you think you're more than you really are

you later end up thinking...why didn't i just spend the $99 on a EH small stone or something instead of a guitar to smash?

don't know about you, but i'd rather have a phase shifter than a guitar to break to pieces and have some people think you're an idiot. after all, you can use the small stone for a LOT more gigs than a broken guitar.

but that's me of course
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #53
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
i seriously almost cried after a guy smashed a guitar once. first he filled it with water, and i almost stood up an yelled "DUUUUUUDE!!! NO!" then he smashed it.

tho, after i get my squire, im gonna save up for a really good guitar, an after i get it, imma smash the squire. hopefully on a stage infront of alot of people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #54
Is back!

Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
i seriously almost cried after a guy smashed a guitar once. first he filled it with water, and i almost stood up an yelled "DUUUUUUDE!!! NO!" then he smashed it.

tho, after i get my squire, im gonna save up for a really good guitar, an after i get it, imma smash the squire. hopefully on a stage infront of alot of people!
YES! THATS WHAT IM DOING! why dont people understand this?

Unread 09-08-2004, 02:51 PM   #55
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Personally I don't find destruction fun or entertaining. Its not the attitude we're going for as Christians ... I understand your position but I still shake my head
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #56
Is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
Personally I don't find destruction fun or entertaining. Its not the attitude we're going for as Christians ... I understand your position but I still shake my head
im sorry i disappoint u but i dont do it cause im destructive. its just for fun, its a crowd-pleaser.

Unread 09-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #57
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_guitar1990
im sorry i disappoint u but i dont do it cause im destructive. its just for fun, its a crowd-pleaser.
I'm not disappointed - its just that the novelty of smashing things wears off with age and or maturity ... + if you're in a Christian band its not the best message to be sending to your audience.

It also begs the question "why do we find destruction entertaining?" ... I'm quite sure we will rue the answer.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #58
Is back!

Quote:
I'm not disappointed - its just that the novelty of smashing things wears off with age and or maturity ... + if you're in a Christian band its not the best message to be sending to your audience.
christian kids, secular band.

Quote:
It also begs the question "why do we find destruction entertaining?" ... I'm quite sure we will rue the answer.
cant answer that one for you. i guess its a release of energy...

Unread 09-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #59
Why am I still here?

It's part of the rock 'n' roll culture, and it always will be. Why? Don't ask me, I wasnt growing up in the 60's and 70's, though sometimes I wish I did.

My opinion on the matter is, buying a cheap guitar to do it pretty much negates the whole point of doing it. It's part of the rock n roll attitude. It's not about the instrument. It's not about the piece of wood, the pickups, the metal strings, etc. It's all about the music. It's about the experience. It's about the emotion and the feeling that swells up when you play that wicked sweet solo. It's about the energy that is created when a guy jumps off a speaker stack and is caught by the screaming fans below. It's about not caring how much that guitar or amp cost, because in the end its all about the music you made with it, not the instrument itself. Smashing it is almost an artistic statement to that effect. If you purposely use a cheap instrument, it's kinda just putting on the show of the rock star attitude when you really dont have it. So don't do it till you can afford to do it.

Please don't smash stuff if you suck though. You'll only make a fool of yourself. Seriously. IOW, if the amount of fans you can muster up for a show is around the same amount of people in your band, you probably shouldnt be doing it.
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #60
Is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
It's part of the rock 'n' roll culture, and it always will be. Why? Don't ask me, I wasnt growing up in the 60's and 70's, though sometimes I wish I did.

My opinion on the matter is, buying a cheap guitar to do it pretty much negates the whole point of doing it. It's part of the rock n roll attitude. It's not about the instrument. It's not about the piece of wood, the pickups, the metal strings, etc. It's all about the music. It's about the experience. It's about the emotion and the feeling that swells up when you play that wicked sweet solo. It's about the energy that is created when a guy jumps off a speaker stack and is caught by the screaming fans below. It's about not caring how much that guitar or amp cost, because in the end its all about the music you made with it, not the instrument itself. Smashing it is almost an artistic statement to that effect. If you purposely use a cheap instrument, it's kinda just putting on the show of the rock star attitude when you really dont have it. So don't do it till you can afford to do it.

Please don't smash stuff if you suck though. You'll only make a fool of yourself. Seriously. IOW, if the amount of fans you can muster up for a show is around the same amount of people in your band, you probably shouldnt be doing it.
great advice dude. we dont suck, in my opinion. and dont worry, i wont smash it unless its a really good moment. and its not like i went out and bought this for the sole purpose of breaking it. i bought it as a beginner instrument. i also find what you say about purposely using a cheap instrument just for show and not really having the rock star attitude true. but this guitar just happens to be crappy.