Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The Beginner's Electric Guitar Thread

Since I'm always seeing so many of these around, I'm making a thread about it. Let's all suppose I'm a newbie to guitars, looking around for a lower end guitar, and I want something to learn on. What do you reccomend?

To Beginners:

First, go to the New To Guitar thread sticked to the top of the forum, and read the "Worst Advice" and "Beginners' Tips" thread. Then, after that, consider getting a guitar. This is just a list of reccomendations. Feel free to post your own thread for questions more specifically related to your needs.

Guitar Reccomendations:

First time beginner's guitars:

Fender Standard Stratocaster (AKA MIM Strat)
$350-450 New, $250-350 Used
Pros: Good quality, easy price for beginners, easily upgraded, readily availible, good resale value, extremely versatile.
Cons: Has a floating trem ("nimrod") system, which can be hard to set up, rather complex controls layout, and isn't really all too unique in the guitar world.
Variations: Fender Standard Fat Strat, Fender Standard Strat HH

Fender Standard Telecaster (AKA MIM Tele)
$350-450 New, $250-350 Used
Pros: Good quality, easy price for beginners, readily availible, decent resale value, pretty versatile, simple control layout, looks a bit different then most guitars.
Cons: Harder to upgrade, contains less of the "familiar rock tones"

Epiphone Les Paul (Studio/Standard)
$400-600 New, $300-500 Used
Pros: Decently made, readily availible, decent resale, versatile, good for the Les Paul look, decent tone.
Cons: Inconsistent quality (try at least 3 or 4 if buying new), many substandard parts (especially the switch), more difficult to upgrade then other guitars, cannot be purchsed online new.
Variations: Epiphone Les Paul Classic, Epiphone "Goth" Les Paul

Schecter C-1
$500-600 New, $300-500 Used
Pros: Good quality, goods looks, very versatile, good tone, simple controls, good quality for the money.
Cons: Somewhat expensive for the beginner (but good value), resale for less then the "big brands", harder to upgrade then other guitars.
Variations: Schecter C-1 Artist, Schecter C-1 Classic, Shecter C-1 Semi-Hollow, Schecter C-1 Plus

Ibanez RG Series
$250+ (Up to $1,200)
Pros: Light, reliable, stay in tune, have good tone, fast neck.
Cons: Getting replacement parts! If you break a neck you are dead. (mine set in a box for 2 yrs when i eventually found a junked one with a good neck.) Not all pieces have replacement parts.
Notes: floyd rose double locking can be your best friend or worst enemy. You really need to know which before you buy.

Dean EVO Special Select
$499 New
Pros: Well made, looks great, plays great, the set neck is done so you hnave better reach to the upper frets, solid Mahogany body with solid Quilt Maple top. Grover Tuners, Stays in tune, and the fret are done very well, block like inlays
Cons: my pickups don't have even output, wide neck,
Notes: Flat fretboard
Variations: EVO Special ($350-400, covered pickups insted of open coil pickups + dot inlays)

ESP/LTD 400 series
$400-560
Pros: EMG: 81/81 combo or Seymour Duncan: JB/59(EC400ATS) combo, Grover tuners, Earvana Compensated nut(improves intonation), Mahogany body or Mahogany body w/ Maple Top(depends on the model), set neck,
Cons: a little on the pricey side

Dean Avalanche
$299
Pros: great quality, great finish, great necks, plays great
Cons: has Floyd Rose Tremlo(non locking) which effects the string very easy, on the two that I've played one had a glossy finish and one had a satin finish

OLP Axis
$150-$250
Pros: decent tone, simple controls, lightweight, decent quality
Cons: made a bit cheaper then many other guitars, still decent, though.
Notes: Thin neck, floating trem (harder to set up)

Washburn X-10
$120
Pros: Affordable for younger beginners with decent sound.
Cons: sometimes unreliable wirings, little bit on the heavy side
Notes: H-S-S pickup configuration, Screw-in tremolo bridge, bolt-on neck

Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
$140
Pros: affordable, stays in tune, can be upgraded easily, hum canceling in 2nd and 5th position.
Cons: some hum problems (wirings?), average Strat problems.
Notes: H-S-S pick-ups, Tremolo bridge, 5-way pick-up switching $140.00 new - about $100.00 used

This list will be added to, as more guitar reccomendations come. I'd like it in this format, Guitar name, approx. price, and pros and cons.

Last edited by Rainer.; 07-13-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Any reccomendations for an electric guitar for a beginner?

I'd like to know about some of these import guitars that seem to be of decent quality for beginners...

Unread 08-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Well Jon it depends on personal taste (as we all know). Ibanez has been pushing out some nice begginer packs with everything you need for your playing convevience. MIM Strats are always a choice but not nessisarly for everyone. I think for those hard rockers out there that an epiphone could be of great use. You need to try a few out to get to the butter if you know what I mean (quality control issues). So that is where I start and now I exit and moderate some more (along side of you). I don't know why I said that...

Unread 08-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxophone
Well Jon it depends on personal taste (as we all know).
And that's why I need as many guitar reccomendations as possible.

Quote:
Ibanez has been pushing out some nice begginer packs with everything you need for your playing convevience. MIM Strats are always a choice but not nessisarly for everyone. I think for those hard rockers out there that an epiphone could be of great use. You need to try a few out to get to the butter if you know what I mean (quality control issues).
Do you mind putting that into the format I have above? I'd like to add that into the post.

Quote:
So that is where I start and now I exit and moderate some more (along side of you). I don't know why I said that...
Sure. Knock yourself out. The more you mod, the less I have to...

Unread 08-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
squire bullet

$99.99

pros - nice weight (comfortable), the neck is fairly comfortable.
nice sound, dude, its a strat style guitar! not hard to find replacement parts, for some reason everyone is throwin theirs out . so you could just drive down the street and find a new neck, or what not

cons - squire is known for putting out cheap s**t. im told htey have serious quality control issues. so uh, make sure you test it before you buy it. everyone is throwing theirs out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #6
I'm on a horse.

I'm wary of putting something of that type of objectionable quality up on the list. It has many downfalls to it. The parts are the cheapest, the body is plywood, the hardware is very cheap... The weight is very light. Featherweight. Can't weigh any more the 3-4 lbs. Has an ice-pick tone. A beginner won't notice, but as their ear develops, they will notice. Roll off the treble a lot, and it's OK, and lowering the pickups helps, but then the gain is dramatically lowered. Not hard to find replacement parts, but that's just because everything is built to Strat spec. Might as well get a real Strat. The quality control is an issue, but a bigger issue is the quality standard of all of them in general. I really don't personally reccomend that guitar. It's decent for a little bit to the absolute beginner, but it just doesn't cut it. IMO.

Unread 08-26-2004, 06:08 AM   #7

I had a Fender Squier and almost beg for somebody to take that shhh... out of my life..... sorry just read an interview from Zakk Wylde and trying to keep his words out of my fff..... (wow almost) mind

Like I posted it tons of times..... wanted a Gibson LP Standard. Wife with a bat in hand convinced me that being a begginer I shouldn't spend that much money.

Guitar: So I got an Epiphone LP Flametop Custom Plus for 560 Euros. That thing looks awesome and sounds ok.... though I will probably change the PUs with Gibson BurstBucker Pro PUs, change the Switch and some other little things.

Amp: For an Amp I got a small Marshall MG 15CD for like 115 Euros. That little sucker is great to rehearsal home. Is all transistors but the 15 Watts delivers and the OD doesn't sounds that bad.

Pedal: Got a Boss ME-50. Great, simple and just great. But that is not really beginners stuff... but I got it because I can use it when I upgrade my Guitar and Amp.

So there you go, that's my "beginners" setup!
Unread 08-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
I play Guitar...

Considering the amount of traffic of this sort recently, i'm gonna sticky this.
Unread 08-27-2004, 03:36 AM   #9
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Beginners gear
Epiphone: Some good and some bad. The local shop that did have them that I shoped at always had good Les Pauls and I played every one they have ever had except for one that I know of. The Les Paul 100($250-300) is really a good guitar, aside from having a bolt on neck insted of a set neck. The G-310( bolt on neck SG), I've played one good and one bad. I've never played a bad set neck Epiphone, I've played a few I didn't personaly like but other than that I like them. Les Paul are versatile music style wise, but are limited in some other areas. Price varys from internet site that still ahve them to mom and pop stores. www.epiphone.com
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard, LP Custom, LP Studio
Dean has some very good instrument. I own a Dean: EVO(, basicly a Les Paul copy. Mine sales for $499 brand new, but they have other less costly models.
Dean: EVO Special(around $400) or Special Select($499)
Dean: Avalanche MQ($299, Strat style)
I've played other Deans but I know those are great guitars. www.deanguitars.com
Fender Standard Strat and Tele as mentioned above. www.fender.com
I have two Silvertone(made and owned by Samick) Paul Stanley Sig series guitar which are very good guitars for $379.
ESP/LTD has a lot of good guitar for arguably the best prices. www.espguitars.com
My self I think Peavey is starting to put out some very good guitars and amps. www.peavey.com
And when it comes to amps I think that amps keep getting better for lower prices. Even tube amps are starting to have good prices. The brands of amps I like are, Peavey, Line 6, Marshall, Fender and Randall. And all of those brands have 100watt combos in the $300-425 range and Fender even offers a 160watt amp for $550. Most beginners will need nothing more than a 15-30watt combo amp. When it comes to effects pedals like distortion, overdrive, chorus and delay,I say get Boss. They might cost a little more but they sound good and last. I don't like effects processors but if this is what you whant go with the Digitech GNX2 or GNX1 might cost alittle more but hey are two of the better processors out there. And when it comes to buying a guitar I suggest you go to a local shop because even though beginners might not know what sounds good, you will know what feels good to you. ALso if you got to a local shop with one guitar in mind and try it out and don't like it, you wont have to go thru the trouble of returning or exchanging it. Some might see guitars in the $400 price range and be like for a beginner. And the reason why I think $400 range guitars are better is for a few reasons. 1. they will more than likely have a better resale value, 2. more than likely a better made guitar, 3. simple upgrades can be done to make the guitar better and last they'll sound better/have better tone than a guitar that cost $200. And if a local shop has a good reputation and sale used gear then don't be affraid to look at it or even buy because there is a lot of good used gear out ther for less than new gear.
Unread 08-30-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
I'm on a horse.

I'd reeealy love it if all guitar reccomendations would come in the "pros/cons" format, so I can add it to the top post for easy reference. Thanks!

Unread 08-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #11

I cant decide, witch is better, I am a beginner, I have a small budget, and I would like to know witch of these are good: (I want a squir, dont tell me its bad, I have herd it and played it at stores:

Package 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...745207000&rd=1

http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg.i...=4&numitems=21

= $278

Package 2:

http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg.i...=5&numitems=41

http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg.i...=4&numitems=21

= $179

Package 3:

http://www.musicstoreinc.com/itemshow.php?itemnum=se100

= $199
Package 1 is about 100$ more then package 2, and hwere can I get Squir Showmasters on the internet besides ebay?
Unread 08-30-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
I'm on a horse.

Please post a seperate thread.

Unread 08-31-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
Skynyrd Gomer

Well you already have the Fenders and Epi's I'll just pro and con the Deans, ESP's and the Peaveys.

Dean: EVO Special Select ($499)
Pros: Well made, looks great, plays great, the set neck is done so you hnave better reach to the upper frets, solid Mahogany body with solid Quilt Maple top. Grover Tuners, Stays in tune, and the fret are done very well, block like inlays
Cons: my pickups don't have even output, wide neck,

This is not a pro or con but the fretboard is almost flat, so if you like a thin fretboard the it a pro if not it's a con.

Dean: EVO Special($350-400)
Same as above except the Special has covered pickups insted of open coil pickups and it also has dot inlays.

ESP/LTD: 400 series($400-560)

Pros: EMG: 81/81 combo or Seymour Duncan: JB/59(EC400ATS) combo, Grover tuners, Earvana Compensated nut(improves intonation), Mahogany body or Mahogany body w/ Maple Top(depends on the model), set neck,

Cons: a little on the pricey side

Dean: Avalanche($299)
Pros: great quality, great finish, great necks, plays great

Cons: has Floyd Rose Tremlo(non locking) which effects the string very easy, on the two that I've played one had a glossy finish and one had a satin finish

Dean's web site list the trem as a floating trem but the two I've played said Floyed Rose on the trem.

I can't really pro and con the Peaveys because the models I have played I've which is one JF-1 Semihollow body, one Peavey Predator, one Peavey Raptor aand one of there Tele copies which had already been moded. But they have all played and sounded good. The Peavey JF-1 is probaly the best Peavey I've ever played and for the $300(online) price tag they are a very good buy.
The only con I can think of for a Peavey guitar is they more than likely will not have a good resale value.
I hope that helps a little. And I'll pro and con some amps latter.
Unread 09-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #14
Tired of being attacked

ibanez rg series

pros: Light, reliable, stay in tune, have good tone, single piece body, (at least on the 320dx), fast neck.
cons: getting replacement parts! if you break a neck you are dead. (mine set in a box for 2 yrs when i eventually found a junked one with a good neck.) Not all pieces have replacement parts.

to know: floyd rose double locking can be your best friend or worst enemy. You really need to know which before you buy.

My Life.
Unread 09-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #15
Skynyrd Gomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
ibanez rg series

pros: Light, reliable, stay in tune, have good tone, single piece body, (at least on the 320dx), fast neck.
cons: getting replacement parts! if you break a neck you are dead. (mine set in a box for 2 yrs when i eventually found a junked one with a good neck.) Not all pieces have replacement parts.

to know: floyd rose double locking can be your best friend or worst enemy. You really need to know which before you buy.
If I'm not mistaken Ed Roman Guitars have replacement necks for the Ibanez RG's. He's not the greatist guy to deal with but he does have a lot of good stuff.
Closed Thread