Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Cedarville 2011

Send a message via AIM to jrb4him
Buying on Ebay?!?!

Hey

Just wondering what all your preferences are with buying on ebay, a new or used guitar that is, just wondering if you like it, and would recommend it, or not..if you would recommend it, do you have any advice as to make sure your getting a good deal and if its (the guitar) in good shape?? any input would be helpful...thanks!

Jason

Phil 1:20-21

Cedarville 2011!
Yellow Jackets Soccer
jrb4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
There's no *one* good answer, i.e. yes/no. Most people go by the seller's approval rating, and pictures of the item selling.

On the flip side of that, some users on this board(The Major) have received excellent deals on items with no picture, which is more of a gamble for obvious reasons.

I guess, just do some research on the seller if you can.

Case
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Pearl plays her guitar

I've bought three guitars, an amp, footpedal, 2 basses, a speaker cab and three cases on ebay (or negotiating with a seller after a bid closed) and have been happy with most of my purchases. Four things I have learned: 1) know as much as you can about the seller - read the feedback, not just the percentage rating and ask questions if you don't understand any aspect of the product or if details are scarce; 2) know about the product you are buying and what the market (going prices) is so you pay a fair price or get a killer deal; 3) be wary of sellers who have little or no feedback; and 4) make sure you know what shipping is, it can kill your great deal. One last thing, I try to stay away from foreign (even Canadian) sellers, since shipping and customs charges can be exhorbitant.

Some of these lessons have been learned the hard way, but I am quite confident now, that if I do my research on the seller, that I can bid safely.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:05 AM   #4

Another note, don't treat ebay like you would a classified. There is no negotiating after the bidding ends. Ebay is a binding contract between a seller and buyer. Keep things as professional as possible and ask questions before bidding. Send and respond via email promptly and professionally. In my experience the biggest headaches on ebay are those that do not treat it in a business manner. There are for more sellers in that camp then scammers. That's why feedback is the most important thing.
GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
I've bought three guitars, an amp, footpedal, 2 basses, a speaker cab and three cases on ebay (or negotiating with a seller after a bid closed) and have been happy with most of my purchases. Four things I have learned: 1) know as much as you can about the seller - read the feedback, not just the percentage rating and ask questions if you don't understand any aspect of the product or if details are scarce; 2) know about the product you are buying and what the market (going prices) is so you pay a fair price or get a killer deal; 3) be wary of sellers who have little or no feedback; and 4) make sure you know what shipping is, it can kill your great deal. One last thing, I try to stay away from foreign (even Canadian) sellers, since shipping and customs charges can be exhorbitant.

Some of these lessons have been learned the hard way, but I am quite confident now, that if I do my research on the seller, that I can bid safely.
Good stuff, great advice. What he said.

A couple additional observations to add:

Shipping - guitars are easily damaged in shippnig if they aren't packed well enough. The average person (private seller) is not going to do a great job at packing. A layer or two of bubble wrap on the guit, thrown into a cardboard box isn't good enough. I would strongly suggest looking for guitars that have a hard shell case., particularly from private sellers, and especially if it is an expensive or collector's instrument. I would specify to the seller that they need to "tighten up" the guitar's fit within the case; most aren't that snug. They also need to pack up anything that is in the storage compartment, i.e. nimrod (trem) arms, hex wrenches - anything that can come loose and end up scratching the guitar up. I also tell the seller to tape the case shut. Then it should be in a cardboard box with packing material. If it doesn't have a hard case, they need to really pack it well, and in such a way that any inherent structural weakness of the guitar is isolated / protected. Like a LP or SG is weak around the neck/head joint area - several wraps of bubble wrap around the neck would keep the head isolated from stress.

Bidding/buying - Don't get emotionally attached to anything you're bidding on ! Remember, there's about a billion other people looking at this stuff, all over the world. Know the prices things are worth, bid accordingly. If someone else bid a few bucks higher, oh well. Another will come along. Brand name popular items are not usually the real "bargains" of ebay buying, unless there is something wrong with it, and even then, there are hundreds of guys(and gals) who are amateur and professional guitar techs looking for these "bargains". I have been absolutely floored with the huge winning bid amounts on Gibson, Fender and other "project" guitars that need a lot of work. Odds are that you will need to bid on several items before you "win" one, unless your bidding high.

READ BETWEEN THE LINES of the ads. Many ebayers are very knowledgeable and painfully honest about their wares, others are ignorant, and many are very clever (or think they are ! ) about using terminology that is purposely misleading. Don't take everything as gospel! These types of things aren't always even intentional, but you may end up with something less than what you expected. Ask SPECIFIC questions. For example, the word "laminate" is used to describe many things in guitars. I'll use a Les Paul type guitar for this - If an ad says laminate construction, it might mean a plywood body, or "sandwich" construcion, or even that is has a real maple cap. It depends on the seller's expertise and honesty. If I couldn't tell from the pictures, I would ask - "by laminate, do you mean plywood?" or "does it have a solid maple cap?" if I get a "I don't know" or "I don't know how to tell" answer, I might bail out, or I might tell them where to look. If they are really interested in getting it sold, they will take the time to pull off a control cavity cover, etc. and get back to me. Another source of info is the manufacturer. If it is a recent model, get the exact model #, and then check the mfr's website for specs. If it is discontinued, email or call their tech support for an answer. You may be surprised at how helpful they often are.

Buying thru ebay does offer some protection, using Paypal also affords some additional protection. You can file fraud complaints, and often get reimbursed directly from Paypal. Details are available on ebay's site. Reputation is very important to vendors, so any who have been around for a bit will usually be willing to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase, both before and after the sale.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #6

I've bought and sold a couple dozen different pedals, sold something like 5 or 6 guitars now (including bass guitars), bought clothing, electronics, etc. repeatedly. I've only been burned twice.

First time was a guy who bid on a bass guitar I was selling for a friend. I explicitely said in the add that I expect communication within 3 days of end of auction. 8 days went by without me hearing from him despite multiple emails. It resulted in my only negative feedback that I have (relatliatory negative feedback) and I ended up eating the listing fee.

The second time I got burned was as a buyer when I ordered an item and never received it even though I payed for it immediately, blah blah blah. I got the money all refunded through Paypal.

Essentially, explore the person's feedback. If they haven't had any negative feedback in more than about 3 months or so while having concluded multiple transactions in that time-frame, you're probably good-to-go in terms of having an honest seller/buyer. Communication with the person never hurts however. Like the others have said, pay attention to their feedback rating, make sure you're not getting screwed with shipping costs (some people certainly do love to rediculously OVER-charge for shipping - such as a computer mouse selling for $.99 but having a $19 shipping fee - rediculous...), and make sure that if it's a delicate item such as a guitar, that the person knows how to package the item.

All-in-all, communication is incredibly important. Request more pictures of the item. Ask specific questions - such as requesting serial numbers, documentation, etc.

Some people fear eBay - but over the last 2 years, I've saved myself multiple hundreds upon hundreds of dollars by buying used. I've almost never been disappointed.
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #7

I think guys have hit the target with their advice here. I've bought/sold quite a few things on eBay, including my guitar.

Definitely check out the feedback reviews. 1 negative feedback should offset like 25-50 positive points to you, depending on the intensity of the remark. Also, check out what this guy has been selling in the past (and present). If you find out that the item you're buying is something this guy bought on eBay and now is reselling at roughly the same price, stay away!! It's probably damaged goods. The guy I bought my guitar from had a history of selling guitars over $1000 with GREAT feedback left for him, so I felt pretty comfortable buying a lower priced guitar -- no real threat for him to not ship the product or send me something damaged.

And I would echo the hardshell case comment. I got mine shipped inside of a hardshell case that is super tight and the case itself was packaged tightly with newspaper. If you're going to need a case anyways, getting it for the shipping trip is a super big plus.

In the end, the guitar was FLAWLESS, absolutely mint condition. He said he got it as part of an equipment trade and only played it a time or two. After reviewing his history and seeing the product in person, it was definitely true.

Like Ryan said, you can save hundreds on eBay if you're discerning. My guitar alone runs for $630 on musician's friend and I got it for $300 on eBay.
Unread 08-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
Pearl plays her guitar

Major Tom and Ryanspeer give great advice - you should be an eBay expert by now. I wanted to focus on what Tom said about the emotional part of bidding, which is why I say to research the product you are looking at. I have seen Schaller strap knobs selling for $22/pair WITHOUT the locks. I paid about $4-$5 for mine and some have paid even less. Obviously, the buyer did not read the description or understand what he was bidding on.

Know what price you want to pay and give yourself a cushion - you don't ever want to regret losing out on a great guitar for something like $5 or less. If you don't win, have patience, a similar or even better item may come around. I've seen it happen many times as I have continued to track similar items even after I have purchased one. This is another way of keeping up on the market. If you are not buying now, I suggest you start looking at least a month or two ahead of time if you are making a major purchase or if you are looking for something specific like a dream guitar. This kind of due diligence will pay off at the time you are serious enough to put your money on the line.
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
Servant

Lots of good advice above. Biggest deal is that you have to know what you are looking at. As the Major said, many times the seller may not know much. I just got a real deal because the seller didn't really know what he had, posted fuzzy pictures, etc., and I suppose a lot of people didn't bid because of the weak ad.

I have bought several guitars, amps, and various effects over the net, and only a couple were not super transactions. Most have turned out much better than advertised.
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #10
aka: les_paul_strat

i just bought my first ebay item to day (hot british distortion pedal) and i think i did good. they usually sell for about 230-210 on there with free shiping but i got mine for 173. i belive the guy was a christian because he put God bless at the end of his description and said it in his emails he sent me.

How do all of yall think i did???? i guess you cant tell until i get it but i think i got a good deal.
now the people in the churches were in constant amaze, at the kids nealing at the altar with their different fasion flares, they had squares and preps and skater punks, goths and techno reaver, and the tatooed kids with the colered hair, and they were all getting save, you think the 60's had good vibrations, check out my generation
billy_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #11
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_brown
i just bought my first ebay item to day (hot british distortion pedal) and i think i did good. they usually sell for about 230-210 on there with free shiping but i got mine for 173. i belive the guy was a christian because he put God bless at the end of his description and said it in his emails he sent me.

How do all of yall think i did???? i guess you cant tell until i get it but i think i got a good deal.
You'll know if you got a good deal when you get to play it. Those Tone Bones are priced over $200 in stores and they sound really good. Can you post the link? Sounds like you did get a deal price-wise.
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Banned

When I purchased my PRS Mcarty off of ebay, it was from a brick and mortar store that had an ebay account. You can get some great deals this way, as well as be assured that they can take care of you if anything goes wrong. I got my 2001 Mcsoapie for $1,579.00, but when I opened the case and looked at the tags....they had the original tag on it they were selling it for at the same time if someone walked in their store and bought it....the price? $2,200! So you might look also at buying from a dealer if you can. They offer a little more protection and most service what they sell, so they can take care of you better than an indivudial if something is wrong with what they are selling. Now this is not always an option for every guitar or instrument on ebay, but when it does become available you may want to take advantage of the option.
webe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
You'll know if you got a good deal when you get to play it. Those Tone Bones are priced over $200 in stores and they sound really good. Can you post the link? Sounds like you did get a deal price-wise.

it didnt have a pic but i will still try to find the link of it.
now the people in the churches were in constant amaze, at the kids nealing at the altar with their different fasion flares, they had squares and preps and skater punks, goths and techno reaver, and the tatooed kids with the colered hair, and they were all getting save, you think the 60's had good vibrations, check out my generation
Unread 08-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...741533568&rd=1

there you go. just copy and paste. vso you say they sound good??? sure hope so
Unread 08-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #15
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_brown
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...741533568&rd=1

there you go. just copy and paste. vso you say they sound good??? sure hope so
$173 shipped is a great price for like new compared to new at $229 at MF plus shipping. I've heard the Classic and the British side by side and they both sounded real good. I leaned toward the British, so if it works like it should, it is a good example of how you can save - I'd say over $60 in your case.

Last edited by Hopeful; 08-13-2004 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo