Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2004, 08:55 AM   #1

Question Difference between HOT PickUps and not ? What does a HOT (vintage)PickUp mean?

Hi,

I'm thinking on changing the Pickups of my Epiphone LP FlameTop Custom (don't know if the Guitar is worth the pickups? ). I was checking different Gibson pickups. Was thinking of the BurstBucker T1 and T2 or the BurstBuckers Pro and the difference in price is almost nothing. The Gibson Standard LP use the Pros that are similar to the sound from the T1 and T2, that's why I'm would go for the T1+T2 combination instead of the T2+T3.

In the description says that the T1 is not so HOT (vintage) the T2 middle(vintage) and T3 is HOT(vintage).
Can anybody explain me in "English" not in "Guitarrish" what this deal with the HOT means ? In terms of sound and for what end is better to have a HOTTER(T3) PickUp than a smoth Vintage (T1) ??????

Thanks! Peace, CJ

cesarjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
The difference is that a hot pickup turns hot while you play it, and can even ignite the guitar!

Just kidding...

A hot pickup has more output, and will basically sound louder then a normal output pickup.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarjulia
Hi,

I'm thinking on changing the Pickups of my Epiphone LP FlameTop Custom (don't know if the Guitar is worth the pickups? ). I was checking different Gibson pickups. Was thinking of the BurstBucker T1 and T2 or the BurstBuckers Pro and the difference in price is almost nothing. The Gibson Standard LP use the Pros that are similar to the sound from the T1 and T2, that's why I'm would go for the T1+T2 combination instead of the T2+T3.
Sure, the guitar is worthy of the pickups. It'll make it sound better, and if you get a new guitar, you can take the good pickups out of it and put it in the new one. A totally reversible process.

Personally, I think Gibson pickups are overpriced. You pay a lot for the name. Same with PRS pickups. Personally, Seymour Duncan's pickups are the best.

Oh yeah, hotter pickups are meant to overdrive the circuit of the amp easier to get get more distortion or easier overdrive.

Unread 08-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #4

hmm..... so you mean, it is simply louder ?? Lets say, if I play with a not so Hot pickup(or whatever they are called) in volume 10, it will be as loud as playing with a very hot pickup with volume 5 ?

Is there not difference in sound quality ? Warmer? or should I use HOTTER pickups for Metal(Lead, distortion)? and not so hot ones for Jazz (clean)?

I'm still not sure I understand
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Quote:

hmm..... so you mean, it is simply louder ?? Lets say, if I play with a not so Hot pickup(or whatever they are called) in volume 10, it will be as loud as playing with a very hot pickup with volume 5 ?

Is there not difference in sound quality ? Warmer? or should I use HOTTER pickups for Metal(Lead, distortion)? and not so hot ones for Jazz (clean)?

I'm still not sure I understand
It really is a simple issue of output. If, for whatever reason, you want a 'more-output-than-average' p/u, then you're going to want a "hotter" p/u. "HOT" as far as I know, is not used to describe the tone of a pickup, only a measure of it's output. I believe a p/u's out put is determined by how tightly wound it is.

Case
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Oh yeah, one more thing... "HOT" is relative. One manufacturer's "hot" pickup might not have as much output as another manufacturer's "hot" pickup. Just something to keep in mind.

Unread 08-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Sure, the guitar is worthy of the pickups. It'll make it sound better, and if you get a new guitar, you can take the good pickups out of it and put it in the new one. A totally reversible process.

Personally, I think Gibson pickups are overpriced. You pay a lot for the name. Same with PRS pickups. Personally, Seymour Duncan's pickups are the best.

Oh yeah, hotter pickups are meant to overdrive the circuit of the amp easier to get get more distortion or easier overdrive.
Yeah well.... I already got a "cheap" guitar so to say.... I wanted to buy first a Gibson Standard but almost all the world (specially some friends and "wife") convinced me of buying something cheaper to start, since I'm a beginner Which I think it was the right decision really....

So I guess that it will hurt much more my pride if I get cheaper PUs..... but I'll check them out.

Other guys where sugesting in the other Thread I started that I change the Nut and the... what was it.... some other stuff I don't remember. I'll have to check on that.

Thanks for your explanation!
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Yeah well.... I already got a "cheap" guitar so to say.... I wanted to buy first a Gibson Standard but almost all the world (specially some friends and "wife") convinced me of buying something cheaper to start, since I'm a beginner Which I think it was the right decision really....

So I guess that it will hurt much more my pride if I get cheaper PUs..... but I'll check them out.
Cheaper?!

Seymour Duncan pickups are basically the best pickups on the market today! You just don't pay more for something that says "Gibson" on it. They're not just cheaper then Gibsons, they're better. They're the best pickups out there IMO.

Unread 08-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Cheaper?!

Seymour Duncan pickups are basically the best pickups on the market today! You just don't pay more for something that says "Gibson" on it. They're not just cheaper then Gibsons, they're better. They're the best pickups out there IMO.
really ???..... ok than I definitelly will check them. Have to see if they have golden ones (like the Humbuckers that come in my) because if they are not golden they will not go well with mine since all the hardware is Golden.... OK, is not that I'm being girly now (no offence to any girl here... though I doubt one comes here to post with us nerds) but it has to look good as well
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
really ???..... ok than I definitelly will check them. Have to see if they have golden ones (like the Humbuckers that come in my) because if they are not golden they will not go well with mine since all the hardware is Golden.... OK, is not that I'm being girly now (no offence to any girl here... though I doubt one comes here to post with us nerds) but it has to look good as well
Maybe, maybe not. My Gibson has Duncans installed. It's all gold hardware, too. One pickup has the golden cover on it, the other one is a down and dirty Duncan JB with no cover and metal pole pieces. It looks pretty good, really. It shows a lot about the attitude of my pickups and guitar too. The smooth jazzy gold gibson in the neck, and the raw rock 'n' roll of the JB in the bridge.

Unread 08-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. My Gibson has Duncans installed. It's all gold hardware, too. One pickup has the golden cover on it, the other one is a down and dirty Duncan JB with no cover and metal pole pieces. It looks pretty good, really. It shows a lot about the attitude of my pickups and guitar too. The smooth jazzy gold gibson in the neck, and the raw rock 'n' roll of the JB in the bridge.
Can you tell me the model names of your PickUps so that I don't have to search from tons of models without knowing which one I should buy ?
Unread 08-12-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Can you tell me the model names of your PickUps so that I don't have to search from tons of models without knowing which one I should buy ?
My neck pickup is actually just the stock gibson pickup. It's going to be replaced sometime. The bridge pickup is the Seymour Duncan JB. A combo I would reccomend is Duncan Jazz in the neck, and Duncan JB in the bridge. Another great bridge pickup is the Duncan Pearly Gates pickup.

Check these out:

Seymour Duncan Tone Wizard:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/

Seymour Duncan Humbucker Clips:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ard/hummer.htm

Unread 08-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #13

The relative output level of the pickups drive the amp differently - you can do the same thing with the level control of any preamp device. The higher level output will come at the expense of something else - hotter output pickups tend to be muddier sounding, and often an increased magnetic pull necessitates lowering the pickup (to avoid the resulting string damping), which negates some of the higher output. The korean pickups on your guitar are fine, they are NOT some inferior junk.

You're a beginner ? Don't waste yer hard earned cash on different pickups. Unless you are matching specific pickups to enhance a certain guitar's voice in a certain way, you're pretty much wasting your money. Send it to me instead as a consultant fee. I'm a lot cheaper than those overpriced Dunkins, Gibsons, DiMarzio's and others, and I will steer you straight, and not try to sell you something you absolutely don't need. ($100 retail for a stinkin' pickup !! come on, if that ain't overpriced, what is?)

If your guitar doesn't sound good to you, and you are a beginner...it ain't the pickups !

See my answer in your other thread.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2004, 01:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
The relative output level of the pickups drive the amp differently - you can do the same thing with the level control of any preamp device. The higher level output will come at the expense of something else - hotter output pickups tend to be muddier sounding, and often an increased magnetic pull necessitates lowering the pickup (to avoid the resulting string damping), which negates some of the higher output. The korean pickups on your guitar are fine, they are NOT some inferior junk.

You're a beginner ? Don't waste yer hard earned cash on different pickups. Unless you are matching specific pickups to enhance a certain guitar's voice in a certain way, you're pretty much wasting your money. Send it to me instead as a consultant fee. I'm a lot cheaper than those overpriced Dunkins, Gibsons, DiMarzio's and others, and I will steer you straight, and not try to sell you something you absolutely don't need. ($100 retail for a stinkin' pickup !! come on, if that ain't overpriced, what is?)

If your guitar doesn't sound good to you, and you are a beginner...it ain't the pickups !

See my answer in your other thread.

Yeah I arleady read your reply and answered there (don't want to mixed this too threads... which kind of happend)

And Nooooo..... I never said my guitar sounds bad, appart from the fact that I have to continiously tune it

The thing is that I thought the guitar could be like a PC, if you get a better Sound card or Graphic card or you put inside more RAM, your PC will be overall giving you better results. So I thought the guitar is something like that and wanted to know if I could "UPGRADE" my guitar go get a better sound, better guitar.... name it like you want it, but better the thing in general.
Unread 08-13-2004, 02:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Yeah I arleady read your reply and answered there (don't want to mixed this too threads... which kind of happend)

And Nooooo..... I never said my guitar sounds bad, appart from the fact that I have to continiously tune it

The thing is that I thought the guitar could be like a PC, if you get a better Sound card or Graphic card or you put inside more RAM, your PC will be overall giving you better results. So I thought the guitar is something like that and wanted to know if I could "UPGRADE" my guitar go get a better sound, better guitar.... name it like you want it, but better the thing in general.
I believe that to be a myth when it comes to guitars, unless there is an inherent weakness. A very pervasive, popular myth. More ram in a computer is an entirely different thing and anyway it still depends on the specifics - in general it is a good thing, but it also depends on what you do with the computer -emails, surfing, word processing - stuff like that won't always benefit from more ram like editing movies, ore memory intensive stuff.

Stay in tune...oh no another myth - tuning machines are the cause of tuning problems... Do you stretch, and I mean really stretch the strings after you put them on? To the point where they don't go flat when you stretch them? Do you always bring the strings UP to pitch? have you put graphite in the nut slots?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote