Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-13-2004, 06:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I believe that to be a myth when it comes to guitars, unless there is an inherent weakness. A very pervasive, popular myth. More ram in a computer is an entirely different thing and anyway it still depends on the specifics - in general it is a good thing, but it also depends on what you do with the computer -emails, surfing, word processing - stuff like that won't always benefit from more ram like editing movies, ore memory intensive stuff.

Stay in tune...oh no another myth - tuning machines are the cause of tuning problems... Do you stretch, and I mean really stretch the strings after you put them on? To the point where they don't go flat when you stretch them? Do you always bring the strings UP to pitch? have you put graphite in the nut slots?

The thing about the Graphite Nut, I still have to see where I get that done, ask the shop where I bought my guitar.

Anyways, how do you strech a string ?? Sorry don't know. Simply extend it until is about to break ?? By extension I mean..... once in the guitar keep on turning the knob of the string to get it higher (sounding) and higher and higer until I have the feeling it will explode, hit my eye and damage it for the rest of my life so I have to walk like a pirate ?

After your answer I will like to continue this conversation on the other thread I started where this subject of Upgrade really falls on. Sorry, I know this both subjects can get mixed up but couldn't tell when I started the question. After all both questions are different

cesarjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:18 AM   #17
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarjulia
Anyways, how do you strech a string ?? Sorry don't know. Simply extend it until is about to break ?? By extension I mean..... once in the guitar keep on turning the knob of the string to get it higher (sounding) and higher and higer until I have the feeling it will explode, hit my eye and damage it for the rest of my life so I have to walk like a pirate ?
Tug it until it goes flat, then tune up again, then repeat until it doesn't go flat anymore. Don't pull it until it breaks, but pretty firmly, nonetheless.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:

Close.

Tune it to pitch, pull upward - the amount of pull is the key, yes too much and you will break it. When you do break one though, in my experience it won't whip upward or anything... just keep your face more than a foot or so away Bluebeard, and you should be ok. For a point of reference, for my average weight solid body guitars, I use 10 - 46 gauge strings. I pull up to where it is actually lifting the guitar - so to be precise I'm exerting about 8 - 9 pounds of pull, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the high E, and the D string whcih will break easier; I probably exert approx. 5 pounds of pull on them. Anyway, after that, it will be flat, tune it up to pitch, and pull again, and again. It usually takes maybe 5 or more times, each time it will be a little less flat after the pull. If you don't do this, all the "flatness" you are experiencing in this process of tightening the slack on the tuning peg, and ball end will manifest itself as time goes on as flat strings that need to be brought up to pitch. If you don't do this you will experience more "out of tune-ness" than those of us who do, trust me on that !! Graphite nuts are cool, using pencil lead shavings in the stock nut will accomplish about the same thing - a slick path for the strings.

Here's to all the one-eyed guitar players out there, who have made the sacrifice so that others don't have to listen to out-of-tune guitar playing
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote