Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #121

Send a message via AIM to Brad C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxophone
Spend the extra, you'll be thankful. It will make your guitar and amp sound amazing without fuzz or crackles. Trust us, you get what you pay for.
I know, I am just trying to lower the interest a little, I want to py as little as possible, but for a good guitar and amp,

(already picked out)

Unread 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #122
I play Guitar...

For the cable...just go and buy it from a store. They cost so little that it really isn't that big of a deal and I would rather not be shipping it around.
Unread 07-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan
For the cable...just go and buy it from a store. They cost so little that it really isn't that big of a deal and I would rather not be shipping it around.
I geuss I could go to my Guitar Center and get one, since I am going to go anyway to get a Guitar strap,
Unread 07-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
I geuss I could go to my Guitar Center and get one, since I am going to go anyway to get a Guitar strap,
What kind of strap are you going to get? I used to like the fancy leather ones, but now I just use plain black web straps on all my stuff. Some purists will tell you that the guitar resonates more freely when it's suspended from a leather strap, but I kind of like the sound I get from the interaction with the nylon mesh. Of course, that's just me.
Unread 07-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #125

Quote:
Now, my dad is making me pay him interest for me paying him monthly, he want $.97 a month, he would be making a total of $18.47 for the hole time I am paying him back, (19 months)

That should against the law, charging your child/teen interest?
Let me get this straight.

The cost of getting a real Strat right now, vs. having to wait a full 19 months from now, is only $18.43 (!?!), and you have a problem with that!?!

Dude, the ability to get a full 1.5 year jump on the learning curve for less than $20 is a gift, not a curse! It's a royal blessing!! You should be thanking your dad for that, all day long!

Also, if you really think that 4% interest is steep, then as Poet suggested, trying getting that same loan at a bank . . . oh, wait, that's right, you're 15. You can't. You have no legal standing, no assets, and no credit.

All your dad is doing is asking you to defray the cost of the interest that he will most likely have to pay. (And perhaps taking the learning opportunity to teach you something about finance . . . which apparantly you didn't get.)

Assuming he uses a credit card to make this purchase (being that it's online), he'll be paying a heck of a lot more than 4% a month on that charge. If he pays it in full at the end of the month and doesn't incur any interest, then that outlay of $424 will need to be replaced by other financial resources for other household expenses, which may incur interest. I.E., when he pays that $424 off on the credit card, that's $424 less that he would have available to spend on groceries, or gas, which in turn might need to be charged.

So, iow, he isn't making ANY money off of you at all, and in fact will be losing out on money by incurring that expense, since I bet he doesn't get anywhere near 4% interest on his credit cards (what, are you kidding? Try 29%). Whatever the difference is in interest between 4% and presumably 29% (or whathaveyou), he'll eat.

So basically, you have absolutely no place to be an ingrate in any way, shape, or form to your dad.

He's got your back. Do you have his?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Let me get this straight.

The cost of getting a real Strat right now, vs. having to wait a full 19 months from now, is only $18.43 (!?!), and you have a problem with that!?!

Dude, the ability to get a full 1.5 year jump on the learning curve for less than $20 is a gift, not a curse! It's a royal blessing!! You should be thanking your dad for that, all day long!

Also, if you really think that 4% interest is steep, then as Poet suggested, trying getting that same loan at a bank . . . oh, wait, that's right, you're 15. You can't. You have no legal standing, no assets, and no credit.

All your dad is doing is asking you to defray the cost of the interest that he will most likely have to pay. (And perhaps taking the learning opportunity to teach you something about finance . . . which apparantly you didn't get.)

Assuming he uses a credit card to make this purchase (being that it's online), he'll be paying a heck of a lot more than 4% a month on that charge. If he pays it in full at the end of the month and doesn't incur any interest, then that outlay of $424 will need to be replaced by other financial resources for other household expenses, which may incur interest. I.E., when he pays that $424 off on the credit card, that's $424 less that he would have available to spend on groceries, or gas, which in turn might need to be charged.

So, iow, he isn't making ANY money off of you at all, and in fact will be losing out on money by incurring that expense, since I bet he doesn't get anywhere near 4% interest on his credit cards (what, are you kidding? Try 29%). Whatever the difference is in interest between 4% and presumably 29% (or whathaveyou), he'll eat.

So basically, you have absolutely no place to be an ingrate in any way, shape, or form to your dad.

He's got your back. Do you have his?

Chesh

Thats what a few other people have said, and I said "I geuss your right,"

Quote:
What kind of strap are you going to get? I used to like the fancy leather ones, but now I just use plain black web straps on all my stuff. Some purists will tell you that the guitar resonates more freely when it's suspended from a leather strap, but I kind of like the sound I get from the interaction with the nylon mesh. Of course, that's just me.
I am just going to get one at my Guitar Center, same with a Guitar Cable thing,
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #127
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Yeah he is right. It's a Dad thing, he wants to teach you a life lesson about money.... 20$ is a movie these days... suck it up.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #128

Quote:
Thats what a few other people have said, and I said "I geuss your right,"

And where exactly did you say that?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #129
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker
Well done! I think you made a wise choice; Fenders are much nicer than Strats.

I've got a headache.
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #130
They Call me Elf Boy

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet Send a message via Yahoo to PiousPoet
Yeah, good choice with the cable. You have to make sure to definately not skimp on that. It's important not to skimp on the guitar and all, but cables are somewhat underestimated. You can have the greatest guitar, but I don't give a darn about it if you havea bad cable, cuz it will sound bad. It's the same with tuning. Anyways, make sure you get a nice cable.

Hohner HW640
Neldë cormar aranin eldaron nu i vilya.

Visit my blog here.

Otornolla mi Eru,
Erunámo Meldinciel
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #131
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousPoet
Yeah, good choice with the cable. You have to make sure to definately not skimp on that. It's important not to skimp on the guitar and all, but cables are somewhat underestimated. You can have the greatest guitar, but I don't give a darn about it if you havea bad cable, cuz it will sound bad. It's the same with tuning. Anyways, make sure you get a nice cable.
But that gold-tipped cable, and "oxygen-free copper", and stuff like that, some of it has no relevence when it comes to cables. Read up:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
But that gold-tipped cable, and "oxygen-free copper", and stuff like that, some of it has no relevence when it comes to cables. Read up:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

It never ceases to amaze me that some players think they can hear the difference between a good quality "standard" cord, and one of the expensive "boutique" cords. But then, like 50-something percent of the population respond positively to treatment of real medical conditions with placebos.

So many myths, so many manufacturers willing to take advantage...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #133
They Call me Elf Boy

Send a message via AIM to PiousPoet Send a message via Yahoo to PiousPoet
True. i was just simply saying don't skimp on the cable. The really expensive cords aren't worth the money in my opinion. I was just saying don't get like a $2 cable.

Hohner HW640
Neldë cormar aranin eldaron nu i vilya.

Visit my blog here.

Otornolla mi Eru,
Erunámo Meldinciel
PiousPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #134
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Some cables are still better than others ... the Planet Waves circuit breaker cables for instance are great!

There may not be a notable difference in sound but you'll get a cleaner signal etc. If your going to into the studio you want good cables not because it alters the sound, more because you'll have less snap, crackle, pops and other unwanted noises.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Last edited by Dream_Theater; 07-23-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #135

Talking

But whatever you do...make sure your cable is plugged in in the right direction...
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote