Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #76
Servant

I started reading this thread and it made me really tired. So you want a decent guitar for $150 or less...

1) Good luck.

2) MIM Strats are fine.

3) Or, go back to www.therathole.org & find a couple of brand names of 1970's Japanese-made guitars and buy one on ebay. Major Tom may have some suggestions about newer brands that may fit the bill (decent beginner guitars) as well (Raven or Jay Turser maybe?).

4) The only way we can help is to offer advice, and that is worth just what you pay for it. Sooner or later you are going to just have to pick one out & START PLAYING IT. At some point AFTER that, you might decide something else might work better and want to upgrade. (We all get GAS from time to time.) You will never be able to make a decision by asking hundreds of people what they like best. You have plenty of information in this thread to make a good decision. PULL THE TRIGGER!

Unread 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #77

Send a message via AIM to Brad C.
I cant find any sites where I can buy a MIM Strat!!!!!!
Unread 07-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #78

I am not wanting to buy this one from ebay, I just am saying, I think this is a good one, this is the brand guitar GuitarDude86 has. He said its good, but it needs an upgrade, so what would be better? a MIM Strat, or this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...736571636&rd=1
Unread 07-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #79

Wheneverr I look up MIM Strat, I find Fendor guitars, are they both the same? Are Fendors better? Well, I found a place where to buy Fendors, and they are awsome! All I need to know, is.... is a fendor better, worse, or is a fendor a mim strat?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/..._id=0020583305
Unread 07-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #80
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Stop posting again and again, just edit your thread. If you don’t stop doing this I will do it for you.. hint hint... MIM strats are Fender guitars, they are just Made In Mexico. The difference between them and Fenders made in America is wood, pups, and some electronics. Most of the stuff they use in American strats they use in MIM strats, just not as much or as high quality. That's why you can get them at 1/3 the price. They all have Fender on the head stalk and to most (IE not guitarist) it's always recognised as the tried and true American Fender. There are plenty on the web. Why in the world do you want to by on the web anyways? You can't even hear it that way. Go to your local music store and get one or look in classifieds and buy used (recommended for your price range). Then you can hear it and make a good purchase.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #81

So, a MIM is better? Well, I dont really have to buy off the web, I just want to find a good guitar, so I know what I should try atmy guitar store.
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #82

The mexican Fenders are not designated by Fender as "MIM". As an example, a standard mexican strat is called the "Standard Stratocaster" as opposed to "American Standard Stratocaster" or "Squier Standard Stratocaster". Certain other mexican models have various names, but MIM or Mexican is not part of it's name.

Seriously, why not get one locally - that way you can take it back if you have questions about set up or operation and get someone to look at it. As far as price, you should be able to negotiate the same price as a net dealer.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #83

Quote:
Seriously, why not get one locally - that way you can take it back if you have questions about set up or operation and get someone to look at it. As far as price, you should be able to negotiate the same price as a net dealer.
Because, the nearest Guitar Center too me, they have a cruddy option of electric guitars, they have like, 5 electric guitars, all are over $1,000 and my price range is $600-$650 (not including warenty ($700 with warranty))

Oh, and everyone, my price range, has changed to $600-$650 (not including warenty ($700 with warranty)) Now, my choice of guitars is probebly more. So with that being said, I like these Fenders (I like all the colors)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas.../51/510289.jpg ($539)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas.../51/511275.jpg ($349)

Last edited by Saxophone; 07-20-2004 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Helped yeah out with your quote problem! :D
Brad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #84
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm_guy
I started reading this thread and it made me really tired. So you want a decent guitar for $150 or less...

1) Good luck.

2) MIM Strats are fine.

3) Or, go back to www.therathole.org & find a couple of brand names of 1970's Japanese-made guitars and buy one on ebay. Major Tom may have some suggestions about newer brands that may fit the bill (decent beginner guitars) as well (Raven or Jay Turser maybe?).

4) The only way we can help is to offer advice, and that is worth just what you pay for it. Sooner or later you are going to just have to pick one out & START PLAYING IT. At some point AFTER that, you might decide something else might work better and want to upgrade. (We all get GAS from time to time.) You will never be able to make a decision by asking hundreds of people what they like best. You have plenty of information in this thread to make a good decision. PULL THE TRIGGER!
BRAD read this and be done with it! It doesn't even sound like you're reading the posts we're giving you.

Case
Unread 07-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #85

I do!
Unread 07-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #86
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
pay attention particularly to number 4

The only way we can help is to offer advice, and that is worth just what you pay for it. Sooner or later you are going to just have to pick one out & START PLAYING IT. At some point AFTER that, you might decide something else might work better and want to upgrade. (We all get GAS from time to time.) You will never be able to make a decision by asking hundreds of people what they like best. You have plenty of information in this thread to make a good decision. PULL THE TRIGGER!

Case
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #87
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
Wheneverr I look up MIM Strat, I find Fendor guitars, are they both the same?
They are one and the same. And it's spelled Fender.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Quote:
Casey said:

It doesn't even sound like you're reading the posts we're giving you.
Brad C. said:
I do!
That is quite debatable.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #89
intentionally left blank.

Send a message via AIM to hapa_angel Send a message via MSN to hapa_angel Send a message via Yahoo to hapa_angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
That is quite debatable.

Chesh
ROFL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
my price range, has changed to $600-$650
That's about the price range I'm looking at for my first electric. And my #1 choice is still a MIM Strat.

Brad, I doubt you've looked at those other threads enough to gather sufficent info about WHY everyone likes the Mexican Strats. So I'll go ahead and say it again here:
They Can Be Hotrodded Easily.

Now, what the heck does that mean?
Example: after playing it for awhile, you might find that the sound leaves a lot to be desired. No problem! Just take out the pickup and put in a brand-new one of better quality.

Yes, hotrodding will cost some more $$ on top of the cost of the guitar, because you'll be buying new parts. But by getting the (Fender) MIM Strat, you can easily change its components to suit your needs, and you won't have to go out and buy a whole new guitar in order to do so. This is probably the real reason why nearly everyone here in guitar advocates them so heavily time and again, besides the fact that it's a decent guitar for the money.
where every step i took in faith betrayed me
and led me from my home
Oh yeah, I had an account on imood.com
hapa_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #90

I've had my MIM Strat for going on 3 years now, and i see no reason to hotrodd. Sure, it could probably sound a little better, but even before the hotrodding stage, it's a great guitar for the money.

Don't ever buy a guitar because of the price. Thats secondary. Know what you want in the GUITAR, not the price tag. After you get what you need figured out, then look for guitars that fit what your looking for.

Overall, I strongly suggest going to find a Fender dealer and testing out the MIM Strat. Good luck.
fendstratplaya is offline   Reply With Quote