Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #46

I have followed this thread and thought that I would add my thought's at this point. We all like a good bargain, but when it comes to musical instrument's there is much more involved than money. My first guitar was $35.00 and it was overpriced... It is very discouraging to try and play music on a "cheap" instrument. I recently purchased a guitar and amp for my children. It is a beringher amp and their "strat" copy... for around $179.00 Canadian. My kids love it!!! But it is a piece of junk. I have a Peavey Rage 158 which is exactly the same size and it blows the Behringer awy. Even the Behringer guitar strings are not likely worth $3.00 and are total junk, the kids realized that right away.

It is really hard to tell you about those links that you are picking out because without picking up the instrument and plugging it into the amp. we really cannot tell you much... However, my "gut" tell me that they are not likely much better than this Behringer beginner set.

I am not a Fender fan, yet I think that truthfully a MIM Fender Strat might be a great guitar for you. At least it will likely meet your needs and it will have some resale value if you should your music talents excel to where you want something better. I have an ESP M200 which I really like, and I have a Ibenez S470 which is pretty decent and either one would be more guitar than you would need for many years to come. I cannot say enough good about my little Peavey Rage 158 and if you can find one that is the same quality as this one I would "highly" recomend it to you to get you started. I own a Fender Ultimate chorus which I do not like near as well as the little Peavey simply because it has to be turned up too loud before those 12" speakers start to sound good. So what I am saying is don't think that an amp has to be big... to be good.

But please do not buy a "cheap" guitar... It just is not worth it, and will leave you dissapointed and frustrated. Another reason to actually buy a guitar at a store is " how does it feel in your hands"??? Trust me... some guitars feel soooo smooth to play and others just seem off some how.

Anyway... may God Bless

Forever His

Forever His is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #47
hope is the bravest thing

Send a message via AIM to aiwahead Send a message via Yahoo to aiwahead
Okay. Im going to post this in both threads, in hope that our friend here sees it. Like everyone has been saying, PLEASE go to the store and LOOK for yourself. Guitar centers and Sam Ashes cater to everyone, beginner to professional, so go in sit down and play whats in your price range.

Now if you want my advice, and this is heavily skewered and heck, you may not even like the tones of these. But then, I do, and its my advice

When you go to Guitar Center/Sam Ash, ask for these.

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet

Gretsch Double Jet

They are both well within your price range and you should be able to get a good set of strings picks, etc and an amp and still be comfortably under 800$

If you're wondering about their build, Gretsch is now owned by Fender (who isnt? ) and they're still made at the Korean plant as far as I know. I own a Jet II and the Jet Pro is its bigger brother. The Double jet is my Sparkle-Double Jet's little brother, and they're BOTH very good guitars for the cash.

I hope this helps God bless
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:05 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Brad C.
Is this a good one, I have heard from a few eople this is a good guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3735984248

Its also awsome looking, and its cheap!
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #49
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Yep it's cheap all right..... pathetically cheap. Have you taken anything we've said into consideration..... anything?

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #50
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I second that. Cheap and not worth it. Sure it looks cool, doesn't take much money to produce something that looks cool, but the quality is probably bottom-of-the-barrel.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #51

This guys web0site (http://www.therathole.org/guitars/guitars.html) he said, after buying this guitar, his guitaring exprience changed forever, as in, this is one of the best guitars he has gotten

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...736917895&rd=1
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #52
I'm on a horse.

If you want a good deal on a good guitar, don't even mess around with the ones that are under $100. Probably not even the ones under $200 for that matter. If your price range is under $400, get a MIM Strat. The tried and true answer. Or look at an Epiphone Les Paul or Japanese LP copy if you want to go that route.

How much do you actually have to spend? And have you actually read the advice given in this thread? If not, I'd advise you do. Read it through before you look up another guitar.

Unread 07-20-2004, 10:34 AM   #53

I am only really wanting to spend about, $150- and I want a beginners electric guitar,
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #54
I am Canadian!

Yeah this is seriously ticking me off. You come back one after the other with all these fakeocasters and copies. Don't mess with anything under $200. Period you will be so, so sorry only weeks down the road. They are hard to play, sound horrible (which kills your confidence)and aren't worth even $70. Don't listen to all these people who say it was the best guitars of their lives, it's bull (had to be frank there, sorry). They are hooked up with promotional offers from these companies and get paid to say that. I don't know if this guy does but I doubt he plays one. If he did he only kept the body, even then it's crappy wood. So I am doubtful of anything that guy says. Just go with the mim strat. LWatford has one for sale in the classified for an amazing price. Go check it out!

Unread 07-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #55
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
I am only really wanting to spend about, $150- and I want a beginners electric guitar,
Then read this. It should look familar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Second, have you not read anything that I have written!?!

Do NOT jack around with cheapo, made overseas crap-o-casters when what you actually want is a good quality guitar. Don't crap around with crap guitars. Pay a little extra and get a good one that will last you for many years and be pretty much trouble free.

I just don't know how else to say it. Johnson Guitars are crap-o-caster strat and tele clones (and whatever other clones they have) that are imported from overseas and stamped with a Traditional, American sounding name, as if "Jethro Johnson" was real tight with Orville Gibson, and his son hung out with Leo Fender.

If you want to go the Strat route (clone or real), just get a Used MIM Strat. If you want to go the Tele route (clone or real), just get a Used MIM Tele. If you want a P-Bass clone, then get a Used MIM P-Bass. Same goes for a J-Bass.

Just get the real thing, cheap, and you won't be disappointed.
And yes, this is a post from page 3.

Unread 07-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #56
I am Canadian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
Save the money, it's like $150 more. Mow a few lawns or something.

Unread 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #57
I'm on a horse.

Here:

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum....php?p=1446118

Great guitar at a great price!

-1996 MIM Fender Stratocaster (Red, a few bumps and bruises, plays well,
has a nice gig bag) - $250

Unread 07-20-2004, 10:59 AM   #58

Okay, I looked that guitar up on ebay, found one, for $1 and it ends tomorrow, it sounds cheap, (I think it is too) but, you said its a great guitar, and it comes with the case, this might be a scam, you never know, but people could start bidding tomorrow, so it might get higher, but who cares! lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

EDIT: He also has posted, some clips of him playing it, so you know what it sounds like!

Oh, and it dosn't come with case,

Last edited by Brad C.; 07-20-2004 at 11:06 AM. Reason: To add some stuff
Brad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #59
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
Okay, I looked that guitar up on ebay, found one, for $1 and it ends tomorrow, it sounds cheap, (I think it is too) but, you said its a great guitar, and it comes with the case, this might be a scam, you never know, but people could start bidding tomorrow, so it might get higher, but who cares! lol

or

How closely did you look at those guitars? Those look great, but the reserve price hasn't been met yet. That means that the seller wants you to bid a certain price until he or she will sell the guitar. I'd guess the reserve (i.e. lowest selling price) is up around $200-$300.

I found the reserve price was $225. From the ad:
"My reserve bid is $225.00 and my buy now is $299.00"

Unread 07-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #60
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Dream_Theater said:
last christmas I went guitar shopping for my lil' sister who wanted to start playing ... so I needed an ax and a little practice amp ... I came across that very package played the guitar for thirty seconds and promptly put it back, its poorly built ands sounds terrible I advise against it ... I ended getting her an epi sg and a tiny marshall.

Quote:
A) he has a very expensive guitar to compare this too, or
B) The store he got it from had it poorly kept or something.
Have you tried on of these??? you can get something of far better value for the money ... I may have an expensive guitar but I wouldn't compare it to a beginner model .

Like Chesh and others said if you like the strat so much get it! but get the best one you can afford as with any instrument, save up and you'll thank yourself later.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote