Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #31
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
I agree with chesh. I have never even heard of any of these guitars and seriously doubt they are any good or have any real tonal qualities. Go with something that is tride tested and true that won't let you down plus looks cool. If you buy new you also get one of the best factory warrenty around. Think about it.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Brad C.
Would you guys say, this is a good deal/Guitar? If so, PLEASE tell me! And tell me, if this is a good Brand guitar, or if its a bad one! I really want to get a GOOOOOD electric guitar, and a GOOOOOD deal, please tell me if this is a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3734173232&rd=1

AKA is this a VERY good guitar? a Johnson Electric Guitar
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C.
Would you guys say, this is a good deal/Guitar? If so, PLEASE tell me! And tell me, if this is a good Brand guitar, or if its a bad one! I really want to get a GOOOOOD electric guitar, and a GOOOOOD deal, please tell me if this is a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3734173232&rd=1

AKA is this a VERY good guitar? a Johnson Electric Guitar
First, that's a broken link. Capture the actual link and not the ellipsed (...) short-hand version.

Second, have you not read anything that I have written!?!

Do NOT jack around with cheapo, made overseas crap-o-casters when what you actually want is a good quality guitar. Don't crap around with crap guitars. Pay a little extra and get a good one that will last you for many years and be pretty much trouble free.

I just don't know how else to say it. Johnson Guitars are crap-o-caster strat and tele clones (and whatever other clones they have) that are imported from overseas and stamped with a Traditional, American sounding name, as if "Jethro Johnson" was real tight with Orville Gibson, and his son hung out with Leo Fender.

If you want to go the Strat route (clone or real), just get a Used MIM Strat. If you want to go the Tele route (clone or real), just get a Used MIM Tele. If you want a P-Bass clone, then get a Used MIM P-Bass. Same goes for a J-Bass.

Just get the real thing, cheap, and you won't be disappointed.

Also, stop double posting. Pick a thread and stick with it.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #34

How do you know Johnson Guitars are crap? Here is a working link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3735622525
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #35

I don't know the relative quality of that brand, I could tell you more if I looked at one in a store. It has decent specs - solid alder body and 1 pc maple neck, cast tuners...but I'd really have to look at the bridge, other hardware, etc. and listen to it. There are so many brands of guitars, many having different levels of instruments, it is hard to keep up with them.

There are a lot of nice guitars made overseas in Japan, Korea, and some from China look pretty decent from what I have seen. IMHO, the Korean made instruments in general and on the average, when purchased at a discounted price represent the most bang for the buck right now. That does not however, take re-sale value into account - a guitar with "Fender" on the headstock whether made in the USA or on foreign soil will retain more re-sale value than most brand names of Korean made stuff.

Often guitars need some adjustments by the time it is actually purchased, which may be 6 months or a year after it was actually made. Whether it is a $2000. or $200. guitar, I believe there is a settling in period of a new instrument, and in its "infancy" the stresses of the string tension, temperature and humidity changes, or whatever can cause it to need some further adjustments. If you buy from a vendor on the net, you won't have a place to take it to if it needs that. If you buy it from a local store, they will have some provision for doing these minor adjustments on site for you, and will check it before you even take it home (make sure they do).If you do buy one from the net, you might want to check out Agile guitars from Rondo Music, they get rave reviews and are very low in price. I don't believe they have guitar/amp/accessory packs though.

One resource is the user reviews at Harmony Central. You have to read between the lines, and read quite a few reviews, but you can often get a feel for the relative quality of a specific model from that. Just ignore the ones from the 14 year old kids who buy strat clones and then complain that it doesn't sound like "Tool" or whatever thru their little entry level practice amp...

my 2 cents

Last edited by Major Tom; 07-09-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I don't know the relative quality of that brand, I could tell you more if I looked at one in a store. It has decent specs - solid alder body and 1 pc maple neck, cast tuners...but I'd really have to look at the bridge, other hardware, etc. and listen to it. There are so many brands of guitars, many having different levels of instruments, it is hard to keep up with them.

There are a lot of nice guitars made overseas in Japan, Korea, and some from China look pretty decent from what I have seen. IMHO, the Korean made instruments in general and on the average, when purchased at a discounted price represent the most bang for the buck right now. That does not however, take re-sale value into account - a guitar with "Fender" on the headstock whether made in the USA or on foreign soil will retain more re-sale value than most brand names of Korean made stuff.

Often guitars need some adjustments by the time it is actually purchased, which may be 6 months or a year after it was actually made. Whether it is a $2000. or $200. guitar, I believe there is a settling in period of a new instrument, and in its "infancy" the stresses of the string tension, temperature and humidity changes, or whatever can cause it to need some further adjustments. If you buy from a vendor on the net, you won't have a place to take it to if it needs that. If you buy it from a local store, they will have some provision for doing these minor adjustments on site for you, and will check it before you even take it home (make sure they do).

my 2 cents

So... you are saying, I should get it from a store instead? Okay, no problem, but the guitar Center, near my house, has electric guitars, that are $2000+! I dont think they have any for beginners there, I really want to get it off the net, because its cheaper, and because I dont have to for gass, that auction I posteed, has Free shipping, its $186 for:

Guitar
Case
Tuner
Picks
Amp
ect.

That sounds to good to be true, but its a company doing it, I dont know what I should do... okay, I got a Idea! What brands of guitars have you seen in stores, and that you have tried out, and you say there good? Because I will just get one of those off ebay! Or if you know of a good brand, PLEASE tell me! I want to search all the good guitars on ebay!

Well, here are some everyone has been suggesting, I looked at them on ebay, and these are a few I like, that I found:

Dean: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...734337238&rd=1

Epiphone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...734918798&rd=1

Schecter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...735069341&rd=1

Last edited by Brad C.; 07-09-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Brad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #37
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
A good two cents it is. Yes I can't reccomend buying in person enough, at least when it comes to a major purchase like a guitar.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #38

Honestly Brad, I don't look at entry level guitars in stores much, I have picked up a couple here and there and just glanced over them (out of curiousity what a $99 guitar would look like and be made of) but never really looked at them closely to assess them, or for that matter even remember the brand name... Hopefully someone else can chime in and give you a couple brand/models.

I edited my last post - if you are going to buy from a net vendor, you could check out Agile guitars at Rondo Music - great reviews, low prices, and Rondo also has an excellent rep.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Honestly Brad, I don't look at entry level guitars in stores much, I have picked up a couple here and there and just glanced over them (out of curiousity what a $99 guitar would look like and be made of) but never really looked at them closely to assess them, or for that matter even remember the brand name... Hopefully someone else can chime in and give you a couple brand/models.

I edited my last post - if you are going to buy from a net vendor, you could check out Agile guitars at Rondo Music - great reviews, low prices, and Rondo also has an excellent rep.

Whats the site url?
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:47 PM   #40

Here are 2 guitars, I like/found from that site:

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/it...98&PRID=863678

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/it...8&PRID=1373734
Unread 07-10-2004, 01:42 AM   #41

Will a moderator please merge these two threads together (this one and this one)?

Despite the titles, they are by the same author about the same subject and contain identical posts, with people double posting just to answer the same question in both threads.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #42
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
last christmas I went guitar shopping for my lil' sister who wanted to start playing ... so I needed an ax and a little practice amp ... I came across that very package played the guitar for thirty seconds and promptly put it back, its poorly built ands sounds terrible I advise against it ... I ended getting her an epi sg and a tiny marshall.

A) he has a very expensive guitar to compare this too, or
B) The store he got it from had it poorly kept or something.
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #43

Okay, I dont care how much it is! PLEASE suggest some GOOD electric guitars, but keep it under $750!
Unread 07-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #44
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Quote:
Okay, I dont care how much it is! PLEASE suggest some GOOD electric guitars, but keep it under $750!
In that case, go with a used Gibson, a higher-class Epiphone, A Joe Satriani Ibanez, or a Schecter.
SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #45
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jas de F Send a message via MSN to Jas de F
Quote:
that's a contradiction. if you don't care how much it is you wouldn't ask people to suggest guitars under $750.
Jas de F is offline   Reply With Quote