Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #106

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
if you want a microphone that's going to distort, just find the cheapest microphone you can.

if you want to add distortion to your vocal, get a XLR-->1/4" converter and run the mic into a Boss DS-1

otherwise just get a Shure SM58...industry standard for a reason...they're built to last.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #107
power chord hater

Steve's got the right idea. You aren't going for vocal quality. Get the cheapest mic you can find and it should distort well. Although, a mic isn't really what you are looking for. All a mic is going to do is convert your voice to a sound wave. The distortion is going to come in through various effects, reverbs, speakers used, etc. You may want to try running a mic through a distorted guitar amp for an extra gritty sound.

Most of your screaming sound is going to come from the amplified sound through a mic and sound system..not your voice. Honestly, I don't know very much about this. Most people just seem to use a standard sm58 or copy. I've never seen any mics marketed for screamers.
-shane
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #108
Ax
Rabid Wombat

What part of bring all screaming questions here did you not understand?

I used to scream a lot, (and still scream a few words in one of my band's songs), and I've never used anything more than a vocal mic into a PA, no effects other than a slight twinge of reverb that I leave on while I sing anyways...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #109
Slappa da bass mon

i have tried the techniques suggested @ first i knew sumthing was wrong (my voice was cracking more and it hurt) i changed sumthing (i dont know wot) and it stopped doing that and my vocal range is now fully restored.
any ideas of wot i did wrong?
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #110
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I'm seriously tired of seeing you people flame each other over the same old thing... over and over and over... And I'm getting seriously tired of the damaging your voice argument. I believe there has been much more than enough evidence...

NO MORE CYCLICAL DISCUSSION! END. PERIOD. FOR NOW ON ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE TO FLAMING WILL BE DELETED SO SAVE YOUR ENERGY!

Btw, I guess I didn't make this clear... There was an inflammatory post here that was deleted and one response, to Scared2Mosh: you're fine, at least as far as your posting goes...

As far as your voice, the fact that you don't know what you did different tells me that you've not really changed anything, but recovered from your last damaging session... Be warned: screaming WILL damage your vocal chords, if you choose to scream afterwards, that's your prerogative and the consequences are your own.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 12-06-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #111

you were probably screaming with your chest voice instead of with your falsetto and if you do it that way it won't damage your voice. that's how bands like blindside and asilaydying and such have been screaming in a band for a decade. research it and that's what you'll find
holyhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #112
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhardcore View Post
you were probably screaming with your chest voice instead of with your falsetto and if you do it that way it won't damage your voice. that's how bands like blindside and asilaydying and such have been screaming in a band for a decade. research it and that's what you'll find
I hate to sound like a broken record but ... by screaming in falsetto instead of full voice, you are minimizing the damage to your voice. It will still do some damage; it may just take longer.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #113

yes just as singing will eventually ruin your voice. that's why opera singers are often required to take vocal breaks to let their voice recover. and if anything it'll take longer for screaming to ruin your voice than singing incorrectly (like audio adrenaline's singer) and if you scream and your voice is starting to get a little damage just take a break for a while...it'll recover unless you've developed a nodule on your vocal chords...which shouldn't happen if you scream correctly
Unread 12-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #114
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
yes just as singing will eventually ruin your voice. that's why opera singers are often required to take vocal breaks to let their voice recover. and if anything it'll take longer for screaming to ruin your voice than singing incorrectly (like audio adrenaline's singer) and if you scream and your voice is starting to get a little damage just take a break for a while...it'll recover unless you've developed a nodule on your vocal chords...which shouldn't happen if you scream correctly
I'm going to talk from two perspectives here:

Moderator: This is getting very close to being what I consider cyclical and I will delete further arguing.

Members: Yes, over singing can damage your vocal chords but screaming damages it MUCH faster.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 12-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Moderator: This is getting very close to being what I consider cyclical and I will delete further arguing.
after 8 pages, I would hope that this would become cyclical.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #116

this probably is a bit cyclical...but really if it were so much more damaging why is it that you see so many vocalists doing it for so many years with absolutely no vocal range or vocal quality lost?
Unread 12-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #117

Quote:
this probably is a bit cyclical...but really if it were so much more damaging why is it that you see so many vocalists doing it for so many years with absolutely no vocal range or vocal quality lost?
Most of the vocalists I've seen doing it didn't have much vocal range or quality to begin with.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Most of the vocalists I've seen doing it didn't have much vocal range or quality to begin with.
emery...demon hunter...project 86...as cities burn...chasing victory...dead poetic...destroy the runner...flyleaf...inhale exhale...red...showbread...still remains...underoath...blindside...
and there's more that I can't think of right now

you probably need to look around some more
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #119

Quote:
emery...demon hunter...project 86...as cities burn...chasing victory...dead poetic...destroy the runner...flyleaf...inhale exhale...red...showbread...still remains...underoath...blindside...

The funny thing is that I almost feel like you made my point for me.

I do feel that while a lot of these bands have decent normal vocals, none of them strike me as being anything special. I actually find P86's standard vocal to be interesting, but nothing I'd put in the "good" category...and as much as I like the way Christian of Blindside sounds on album, when I've heard him live I was less than impressed. Even on album he always seemed a little on the flat side to me. As far as Underoath goes, I always thought that someone besides the lead singer (currently Spencer Chamberlain and formerly Dallas Taylor) did the clean vocals...I could've been mistaken on that though.

It's entirely possible that it's a genre bias...I just know when I think of vocal range and quality I don't think, "oh let's look up some metalcore bands"

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #120
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:

Of all of those... I wouldn't characterize any of those singers as having an outstanding range, in fact, most have a very generic range. And, btw, yes, even Underoath's screamer (Spencer Chamberlain) has a pathetic range. The good vocals on their album all belong to Aaron Gillespie who doesn't scream.

In fact, if you look at most singers from the 80's who were screaming and hitting the really high notes, very few have even half their original range, the only one I can think of it the Demon of Screamin' himself. (That's Steven Tyler, Aerosmith, I know most people would know that, but, seeing as you think that Demon Hunter's singer has even a moderate range, I have to assume you need it spelled out)..

Current Rig:

Public Blog