Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
so i imagine it would be bad to walk around the house screaming (when im home alone) and like recording it so i see how i sound?

is it worse if the pain from screaming hurts in your chest? when i do scream "correctly" i know cause it doesnt hurt and it sounds good or is that a bad sign?
If it's hurting your chest, then there is something wrong. I would guess that you are pushing from your lungs, which is a big no-no. The easiest way to learn the correct way is to just get the dvd, and figgure it out for yourself.

Also, the way Melissa Cross teaches it is by using your vocal chords, just not smashing them together. I know I will just get more of the "You can't scream without smashing your vocal chords together" replies, so I will tell you (again) how to get the vocal chord smashing sound. Your falsetto is what is smashing together, not your regular vocal chords. It is impossible to think about doing this, and then doing it. The way she teaches it is realy confusing, but in the end you are doing so many things without even thinking about it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
>Brent

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #92

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass4christ27 View Post
Your falsetto is what is smashing together, not your regular vocal chords. It is impossible to think about doing this, and then doing it.
when did the falsetto become a body part?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #93
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Your falsetto is what is smashing together, not your regular vocal chords.
Um, not your regular chords? The falsetto voice comes from using the top of the vocal folds rather the entire length. Bear in mind that the Melissa Cross method is a way of minimizing the smashing of vocal chords. If you must scream, by all means learn her techniques but don't think they will completely protect you from doing damage.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #94
Slappa da bass mon

Quote:
If it's hurting your chest, then there is something wrong. I would guess that you are pushing from your lungs, which is a big no-no. The easiest way to learn the correct way is to just get the dvd, and figgure it out for yourself.

Also, the way Melissa Cross teaches it is by using your vocal chords, just not smashing them together. I know I will just get more of the "You can't scream without smashing your vocal chords together" replies, so I will tell you (again) how to get the vocal chord smashing sound. Your falsetto is what is smashing together, not your regular vocal chords. It is impossible to think about doing this, and then doing it. The way she teaches it is realy confusing, but in the end you are doing so many things without even thinking about it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
>Brent
thnx!

i have tried the suggestions and they seem 2 help i also read not to drinks citris drinks while screaming wot do you all think?

ps who is your favorite screamer i like tim lambesis
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #95

I'm new to this forum and I haven't (and probable never will) read this whole thread so forgive me if I repeat what other people have said. and most importantly I'm far from an expert. I know only what I've read and what I've experienced so feel free to critically criticize what I have to say

first a little about me: I've been raised around classical type music (my mother is a music major from the U of Wisconsin) I sang in choirs between the ages of 6 and 13 (then my voice started to change) in on of which I received some voice lessons from the voice teacher of Dorothy Benham (the 1977 miss America. I lead worship in my youth group and periodically sing on Sunday mornings. I've been screaming or learning to scream for about 3 years over which time my voice has not suffered and if anything as gotten better
AAAND now for my thoughts on screaming

there are many different types of screams, some can do more damage than others. there's the high screammo (emery, showbread) type of a scream. there's the lower growl type scream (demon hunter, becoming the archetype). there's the metalcore/thrash type scream that traverses most pitches (as i lay dying, august burns red). and than there's lincoln park's scream which isn't really a scream...to be perfectly honest I don't know how the heck he does it

all screamers that scream correctly get the gruff vibration from their falsetto (head voice) NOT their chest voice when I scream (and growl) I'm actually using my falsetto between high C and high A. also the shape of your mouth dictates much of the overtone of the scream.

there are even screaming vocal coaches such as Melissa Cross. to understand the difference between screaming correctly and incorrectly you can listen to underoath's Spencer Chamberlain in "their only chasing safety" and "define the great line" between which he learned how to correctly scream from Melissa Cross.

can it ruin your voice even if you do it correctly? sure! just as singing correctly will eventually stress your voice to a point where it's damaged so will screaming, and maybe a bit faster true. but if you treat your voice correctly and learn how to use it properly you should have no trouble in the near future I'd say maybe 10 to 15 with no problems if trained properly.

that said if you try to develop a scream to quickly your vocal chords may not have the strength to handle the stress. done correctly it can (and often should) take 1 to 3 years to develop a powerful good sounding scream and to address the starter of this thread's comments...you definitely don't have to use a mic to get a good sounding scream...and if you can't do it without one you're doing it wrong.

tips:
first of all some people just don't have the guts to scream...if you don't feel you have it in you, you may not be cut out for it. don't feel bad about it just sing and enjoy life anyway.

and if you have an incredible voice already be VERY careful, and start very slowly
if your singing starts to suffer (can't hit notes you used to, voice cracks at times it shouldn't, you lose parts of your range)stop screaming IMMEDIATELY, takes some time off, and if your voice doesn't get better consult a vocal coach and/or a voice doctor.

1. drink a crap load of water...all the time
2. don't drink pop before of after you scream. the carbonation can temporarily damages your vocal chords
3. if it hurts...DON'T do it or you may be sorry
4. keep your neck and jaw relaxed (true for singing also) if they are being strained your may not have enough breath support or you're singing with the wrong part of your voice (throat, neck nose forehead) don't force it, breath with your diaphragm, and don't push the air through
5. when you're learning do it someplace where you won't be embarrassed or you may develop bad habits.
6. warm up first. NEVER start screaming when you aren't warmed up. you're vocal chords are like a muscle and need to be warmed up before they are used heavily
7. try to be as quiet as possible when you don't need to put too much emphasis on what you're screaming
8. once you find your scream find someone that sounds close to what you sounds like and who does it correctly and remember that you probably won't sound exactly like the bands you listen to. everyone's voice is different therefore their screams will be different also
9. dairy products and this of that nature will clog your vocal chords so don't drink it before you scream
10. most importantly used your falsetto/head voice. something they use in singing is to sing "over" it and this can also be applied in screaming. something you can do is stick a pencil in your mouth and scream over to pencil and not under it.
11. don't be discouraged if you can't get it right away. it may takes some time

if you have a question feel free to ask
holyhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #96
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhardcore View Post
but if you treat your voice correctly and learn how to use it properly you should have no trouble in the near future I'd say maybe 10 to 15 with no problems if trained properly.
It seems like most of what you said seems to be sensible advice but that part scares me. 10-15 years without problems? That is not a very long time. If I had started screaming when I was 15, that would mean I would have damaged my voice at the age of 30. That means I would have spent the last 14 years with vocal damage. I consider myself only about halfway through my life at age 44, so I would have to live at least another 44 years with a damaged voice. My main concern about young people deciding to scream is that they usually cannot foresee the consequences of their actions beyond 5-10 years. Learning good screaming to me is like using filtered, low tar/nicotine cigarettes, it may only delay the damage (if that). In fact, research has found that people using low tar/nicotine cigarettes inhale deeper and do just as much health damage. Using proper screaming technique may just serve to make people feel more over-confident about it and they may end up doing just as much damage.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #97

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
It seems like most of what you said seems to be sensible advice but that part scares me. 10-15 years without problems? That is not a very long time. If I had started screaming when I was 15, that would mean I would have damaged my voice at the age of 30. That means I would have spent the last 14 years with vocal damage. I consider myself only about halfway through my life at age 44, so I would have to live at least another 44 years with a damaged voice. My main concern about young people deciding to scream is that they usually cannot foresee the consequences of their actions beyond 5-10 years. Learning good screaming to me is like using filtered, low tar/nicotine cigarettes, it may only delay the damage (if that). In fact, research has found that people using low tar/nicotine cigarettes inhale deeper and do just as much health damage. Using proper screaming technique may just serve to make people feel more over-confident about it and they may end up doing just as much damage.
I agree with this. It's one reason I started wearing ear plugs for my band practices...I want to be able to hear the voices of my children when I'm older. Sure I won't have full hearing damage for a few more years...but being a "rock star" or whatever isn't worth being hard of hearing at 35.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #98

I'm just talking in general. each voice will be different some could last for decades and decades and some may only last about 10 years. It depends on how much talent you have how strong you vocal chords can really be. and really...unless you're in a very popular band you probably won't be screaming past the age of 30 anyway. and I might add many people who don't sing correctly lose their voice in less than 20 years such as the singer from audio adrenalin.
holyhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #99
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I really wanna close this thread, it seems like the same thing over and over again. But maybe, someday, somebody will legitimately say something unique about screaming or have a legitimate question. Until then, I'm deleting further cyclical conversation.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #100
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I really wanna close this thread, it seems like the same thing over and over again. But maybe, someday, somebody will legitimately say something unique about screaming or have a legitimate question. Until then, I'm deleting further cyclical conversation.
+10. I just opened it up so that it would free the boards of all the screamo clutter. I'm ok with having this as the dumping grounds for screaming chat.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #101
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'm ok with having this as the dumping grounds for screaming chat.
-shane
Besides, what else would we talk about here.

Unread 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #102
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
I'm just gonna say that I've watched Melissa Cross's "The Zen of Screaming" DVD and she really seems to know what she's talking about. I'm in school now so I don't really have any chances to try out the techniques but being someone who writes lyrics, wants to form a band and doesn't really have much guitar playing ability I'm betting it's gonna help out quite a lot.

If it ever gets to the point where I can't talk, it hurts terribly or my speaking voice is terrible, then I'll stop doing it for several days at least. I have the common sense to do that.

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #103
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceived in fire View Post
I'm just gonna say that I've watched Melissa Cross's "The Zen of Screaming" DVD and she really seems to know what she's talking about. I'm in school now so I don't really have any chances to try out the techniques but being someone who writes lyrics, wants to form a band and doesn't really have much guitar playing ability I'm betting it's gonna help out quite a lot.

If it ever gets to the point where I can't talk, it hurts terribly or my speaking voice is terrible, then I'll stop doing it for several days at least. I have the common sense to do that.
...and the cycle continues...
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #104

microphone used for screaming

does any microphone work for screaming,
or are there certain ones that distort the scream better?

but i dont want it to distort my voice, because i would use it
for both singing and screaming.

any help?
silverblaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #105
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
I know that there are vocal effects that make your screaming sound better. Try looking up those.

As for individual microphones, I don't very much at all, but others here probably do.

And to everyone else here, please answer the question - don't get into the "is screaming damaging?.." argument we have in the other thread. I don't mean to sound bossy, its just we should answer the question and help out a newcomer.

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote