Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #76
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcrex View Post
Don't forget that a poorly trained (clean-singing) singer MAY injury his voice more than a highly trained screamer. Or may not.

Alexandre
Very true. Classical singers can also ruin their voices by singing incorrectly or over-singing. I haven't seen Melissa's DVD but after watching the little clip on her website, it sounds like she is trying to get people to sound like they are screaming without really screaming. It sounds like it might be safer to use the falsetto than trying to scream in full voice. It sounds like the technique also requires a microphone; certainly the softer you scream, the less damage you are going to do. I'm hardly advocating screaming because I can't stand it as an art form and I still think it will damage the voice no matter how you do it. At least Melissa is offering a technique to minimize the damage and that is probably a lot better than what people will come up with on their own.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
So...me and everyone else just have to live with it, i guess, and make the best to damage as little as possible. If our generations and the next to come work really hard, maybe in a million years our folds will have developed to take the scream easily.
too bad evolutionary theory doesn't work that way...

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #78
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
If our generations and the next to come work really hard, maybe in a million years our folds will have developed to take the scream easily.
Or maybe in 5-10 years screaming will be fad that dies out.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 09-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #79
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Or maybe in 5-10 years screaming will be fad that dies out.
Almost any metal fan prays not, and that's very unlikely anyways.

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #80

Amen to that, brother. Hey, it's still outreaching and showing that christians can rock harder than anyone else, so i like it. I haven't been on in a while, and I thought I would give you an update on my vocal status. I do Melissa's form of "screaming" about an average of half an hour a day. I'm going to be completely honest and say that there is no effect on my voice, whatsoever, as long as I use my own voice and not try to copy the voice of the guy in whatever song I'm screaming. Everyone at school that thought I was crazy screaming before, and knows how terrible it sounds, thinks that there is nothing wrong with my voice. It's actually kinda cool when they are yelling realy loud at the sports events and hurting, and slightly loosing thier voices. I just say(with a clear voice), "Oh, your voice hurts? Maybe I'm not as crazy as you thought." I recomend it to any screamer.

>Brent

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #81

Exclamation learning to do deathmetal vocals.

Ive learned pig squeals in a weird way people say its my technique, using my gut and my throat, but they still hear the squeal just more voice..how can i improve to get the actual right pig squeal without doing damage. and. ive been trying to learn deathmetal lows like. Suicide silence, White Chapel and, the black dahlia murder..but once again im using my throat..ive heard its all phlegm. is that true? and what can i do to use nothing but phlegm and air for screaming?.
|0||3|^33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #82
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by |0||3|^33 View Post
how can i improve to get the actual right pig squeal without doing damage.
Follow the tips found in this thread and minimize the amount of screaming that you do. If you scream often enough, you will do permanent damage to your voice no matter what your technique.

Unread 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #83
call me Bojo!

Send a message via AIM to botruckin Send a message via MSN to botruckin Send a message via Yahoo to botruckin
Pig squealing isn't screaming, it doesn't involve your vocal chords at all. (If you're doing it right.) You're using your diaphragm to push air through your throat and you tighten the passage way, that makes the pig squealing sound. Make the sound of screeching tires, as though somebody is slamming on their brakes, when you do it pay attention to how you're doing it. When you pig squeal it's going to be very similar to that.

And as far as screaming hurting your vocal chords, coughing can hurt them too, but that doesn't stop any of you from coughing. If you're screaming properly, you're rarely if ever using your vocal chords. But you have to have a mic to do that. If you're screaming, singing, talking, whatever it is that you may be doing that involves your throat and it starts hurting, stop. Your throat is just like any other part of your body, if it is used too much or improperly it will start to hurt and it should be allowed to rest for a while.

Please pray for Rick's family, pray that God will guide them through this tough time of loss... Loss of a son, brother, fiance, friend, and great man of God!click here to visit his website. Thank you for your prayers.
botruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #84
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by botruckin View Post
Pig squealing isn't screaming, it doesn't involve your vocal chords at all. (If you're doing it right.) You're using your diaphragm to push air through your throat and you tighten the passage way, that makes the pig squealing sound.
There is no way to close off the air in your throat without using the vocal chords. They are the mechanism for closing off the throat. The vocal chords are what you body uses to keep you from drowning if you try to breath underwater.

Quote:
And as far as screaming hurting your vocal chords, coughing can hurt them too, but that doesn't stop any of you from coughing. If you're screaming properly, you're rarely if ever using your vocal chords. But you have to have a mic to do that. If you're screaming, singing, talking, whatever it is that you may be doing that involves your throat and it starts hurting, stop. Your throat is just like any other part of your body, if it is used too much or improperly it will start to hurt and it should be allowed to rest for a while.
You can't scream without using your vocal chords either. I try not to cough or clear my throat either if I can help it.

Unread 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #85

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
And as far as screaming hurting your vocal chords, coughing can hurt them too, but that doesn't stop any of you from coughing.
Coughing is a natural reaction. I don't know too many people that go out of there way to cough all of the time.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #86
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Pig squealing isn't screaming, it doesn't involve your vocal chords at all. (If you're doing it right.) You're using your diaphragm to push air through your throat and you tighten the passage way, that makes the pig squealing sound. Make the sound of screeching tires, as though somebody is slamming on their brakes, when you do it pay attention to how you're doing it. When you pig squeal it's going to be very similar to that.

If it gets to the point of hurting, you've already damaged them.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #87
...loves his hollowbody!

Quote:

You cannot create sound without using your vocal chords. Being as screaming produces sound, you must use your vocal chords to scream. This is a great time to quote myself from earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheK View Post
Correctly me if I'm wrong, but all screaming, either by straining the throat or "properly" using the diaphram, is generated by the vocal chords slapping together, creating the harsh sound. The slapping together creates calluses over time, and these calluses eventually become nodes (if I remember correctly). Nodes are bad news for vocalists.
Pod XT Live
Peavey Classic 30

<a href="http://www.purevolume.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">Check out my band, Remnant, on purevolume.com</a>

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">and on myspace</a>
JaytheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #88
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheK
The slapping together creates calluses over time, and these calluses eventually become nodes (if I remember correctly). Nodes are bad news for vocalists.
According to this crazy lady (Melissa Cross), vocal damage isn't really a big deal until you can't use your voice anymore :

Quote:
Q. I'm in a hardcore band. My mom is a nurse and says I could do permanent damage to my voice from singing this kind of music. What's the 411?

A. You can do damage to your voice singing any kind of music if you do it incorrectly. But let's define "damage." Damage, to me, is not being able to finish the tour, call your girlfriend, order dinner, or express yourself through your music. Damage to a physician who is not so familiar with the music of today may entail any irregularity of the vocal cord. Trust me, some of your favorite singers have experienced a lot of "irregularities" (such as mild "pre-nodular" conditions). Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan probably do not have medically perfect wrists. There is no such thing as perfect vocal cords. If you are TRULY able to get the sound and the expression that you desire, (in other words, if you like sounding like Tom Waits, Bruce Spingsteen, Jamie Josta, or Joe Cocker), and your cords look a little damaged to a physician, what difference does it make? Wear and tear is not damage in my definition. Many hardcore kids ripped their cords to pieces when starting out, and now have perfected their coordination to a point where the thickening of their vocal folds has enabled even more of the sound that they want. However, if such wear and tear prevents you from doing something that you want to do or need to do, that's damage.

Unread 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #89
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
According to this crazy lady (Melissa Cross), vocal damage isn't really a big deal until you can't use your voice anymore :
Because that makes me feel safer..

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #90
Slappa da bass mon

so i imagine it would be bad to walk around the house screaming (when im home alone) and like recording it so i see how i sound?

is it worse if the pain from screaming hurts in your chest? when i do scream "correctly" i know cause it doesnt hurt and it sounds good or is that a bad sign?
scared2mosh is offline   Reply With Quote