Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero!
Like I said in the other thread, screaming and singing really loud does not ruin everyone's voice. Could it possibly be that some people have stronger vocal chords? I know that I do. For one thing, I'm a girl with a too deep voice and I can scream and yell with a lot more force than the guys I know. If you don't see me, I can easily mistaken for a guy (it gets irritating, too) From the time I was like 5 years old, I was always put with the tenors. Anyway, like the other dude said...even if it does mess up your voice...oh well.
wow. so, like, your and jon micah's voices are special? that's pretty hard core that's why you can do that stuff and i can't? that's very interesting...

audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:12 AM   #17
I-IV-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjockey111
. . .
Read this thread, and also try a forum search. There's plenty of information out there.
Unread 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #18

i need to no yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoside
i need help, i can do the sorta high itched zao type screams, but i cant do the low DH or living sacrifice screams.
ya i hope u meen darkest hour well anyways if u get advice taht is helpful from anyone could u do me a favor and like spread it on to me cuz i really want to no to scream thanks
paulmachicao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ibanez_Rox
OK, i love to scream and i'm pretty good at it, if you want a Haste the Day, or Zao type of voice (this might sound stupid but trust me, it works ) drink coke or pepsi, or something really fizzy, it really helps you get that growl kinda of voice, IM NOT KIDDING.
Ibanez_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #20
Baylor Bound

This is a great thread. 1: I always wondered what the different divisions within the vocal ranges were. 2: I think I might copy the "how to sing harmony" part and give it to the girl who's trying to sing harmony in my praise band. I can sing harmony, but I can never explain to her how to do it... I just picked it up naturally. That might be good for her......
BaylorDude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #21

Thanks a ton for these tips! I sing all the time, but I get mixed reactions ("thanks for butchering the song," "you have a nice voice"). These tips will definitely help me out. I think I mostly have difficulty hearing myself and reproducing notes with my mouth, because I can pick melodies out pretty easily on my guitar. Anyway, thanks!

Oh, and for all the people wanting to scream, Melissa Cross has a DVD that teaches screaming without killing yourself. She's taught guys from Underoath, Haste the Day, Dead Poetic, and the like.
PRS SE Custom, Squier Affinity Fat Strat (a work in progress), and Washburn WG208 (with upgraded pickups) --> Behringer TU100 Tuner > Danelectro Fab Overdrive > Vintage Rat Reissue > Big Muff Reissue > Ibanez DE-7 > Danelectro Fab Chorus > Danelectro Fab Flange --> Fender Blues Junior (I partially closed the back and changed the tube configuration)
Xian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #22
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Lee View Post
Oh, and for all the people wanting to scream, Melissa Cross has a DVD that teaches screaming without killing yourself. She's taught guys from Underoath, Haste the Day, Dead Poetic, and the like.
That dvd will not teach you how to scream without ruining your voice. It will however teach you to scream and slow down the process of ruining your voice. And she has not worked with Dead Poetic...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
Thanks for this. Apparently the key to both singing and screaming properly is using the diaphragm, and that looks like good advice. It should hold me over until I can find "The Zen of Screaming".
And to the people who say screaming ruins your voice, I highly doubt it. Phil Labonte and Ryan Clark don't seem to have suffered any damage.

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
That dvd will not teach you how to scream without ruining your voice. It will however teach you to scream and slow down the process of ruining your voice. And she has not worked with Dead Poetic...
I usually wouldn't care, but the website for Melissa Cross clearly states Dead Poetic as one of her clients. If that's a lie, then the fault is on the website. So far as I know, the website would be accurately reporting her clients.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Ryan Clark has suffered damage. Even if it is a slow process. All the same, with my screaming technique (which comes from a man named Tony Bullard, and his website is easily found through Google with a basic intro to screaming), I don't really anticipate a great deal of damage. For one thing, all of the work is in the esophagus.

Even still, screaming is definitely at your own risk. Then again, even singing incorrectly can damage your voice. If you're going to scream, try to learn the least damaging techniques, but you're still at risk. (Then again, even walking along a busy street holds some risk.)
PRS SE Custom, Squier Affinity Fat Strat (a work in progress), and Washburn WG208 (with upgraded pickups) --> Behringer TU100 Tuner > Danelectro Fab Overdrive > Vintage Rat Reissue > Big Muff Reissue > Ibanez DE-7 > Danelectro Fab Chorus > Danelectro Fab Flange --> Fender Blues Junior (I partially closed the back and changed the tube configuration)
Xian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #25
Band

Send a message via AIM to MrCrabby Send a message via MSN to MrCrabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Lee View Post
I usually wouldn't care, but the website for Melissa Cross clearly states Dead Poetic as one of her clients. If that's a lie, then the fault is on the website. So far as I know, the website would be accurately reporting her clients.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Ryan Clark has suffered damage. Even if it is a slow process. All the same, with my screaming technique (which comes from a man named Tony Bullard, and his website is easily found through Google with a basic intro to screaming), I don't really anticipate a great deal of damage. For one thing, all of the work is in the esophagus.
I'm sorry? Do you understand how the human voice works? No sound, or even air, passes through the esophagus.
MrCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #26
SolidState Records Rocks

screaming?

this may sound stupid... but can someone tell me how to improve on screaming? i stink at it...

Check out the Christian Metal Dictionary for awesome christian Metal / Hardcore bands!!!

My Rig: Ibanez RG 120, Crate RFX 15, Squier Telecaster Standard Series

My Future Guitar: B.C. Rich IT Beast
Disciple Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Oh dear buddha! Stop screaming! Do it! It damages your vocal chords... I'm going to pre-empt some people here... There is a DVD that's supposed to teach you to scream without hurting your vocal chords... it's bogus... my friend got it for Christmas, our other friend's dad is an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor... Even after seeing this he's banned from screaming because the surgery required to reverse the damage of screaming is very expensive and very painful....

Knowing this, if you still choose to scream, read the vocal advice thread and other threads...

-Edit Addition-

BTW, the "Oh Dear Buddha" was a 'Zen of Screaming' joke.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
Even after seeing this he's banned from screaming because the surgery required to reverse the damage of screaming is very expensive and very painful....
Not to mention that with one slip of the scapel you could lose a vocal chord. One vocal chord does not much sound make.

From what I understand about the "Zen of Screaming" technique is that it doesn't really teach you how to scream but how to sound like you are screaming. I think they should just come up with a digital modeling processor that models screaming. Of course the purists would argue that the digital doesn't compare to the real analog screaming that can only come from tearing your vocal chords to shreds.

I was hoping we were done with the screaming. Wishful thinking. I hope it goes out of style soon before too many voices are ruined. Must we issue a Surgeon General's warning or something (not that this every stopped anyone from smoking but it's a start).

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
I think they should just come up with a digital modeling processor that models screaming. Of course the purists would argue that the digital doesn't compare to the real analog screaming that can only come from tearing your vocal chords to shreds.
I remember watching a video of At The Drive-In when they were playing SNL or something and the vocalist has a bunch of guitar effects within hands reach to throw different effects on his voice.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #30

I've used some amp distortion and just yelled into the mic and it sounded like the guy from Zao.