Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #211
Taster of Pork!

Ok. I tried recording screams on my new song at my friends home studio and they're sounding crappy. Obviously we have to rerecord them, but I need to know what I need to improve on. I wish I could show you how it sounds, but I don't have a recording. Is it perhaps I'm not doing it passionately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #212
I'ma let you finish...

Send a message via AIM to mYdEePeStDrEaM Send a message via Skype™ to mYdEePeStDrEaM
I just saw this thread.

I guess we can post our screaming styles? I use the breath-through-diaphragm rule and scream with my throat. My highs sound like Jimmy Ryan and my lows can sound like Jake Luhrs' lows.
I just wanna believe,
I just wanna believe.
I just wanna believe in us.
mYdEePeStDrEaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #213

Not sure what my "style" is, but I always exhale.. you can hear it here: Bloody Benders on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Unread 10-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #214
Taster of Pork!

Here's a part 1 of a Confide cover that I've been trying to work on. It's not done yet, but I'm posting it so I can get some honest critique.

YouTube - Confide cover -- If we were a sinking ship (rough cover) part 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #215

I feel like not a lot of the "teaching" on this thread are necessarily accurate. I was talking to Josh from Emery a week or two ago after a concert and he said that screaming never hurt his voice and that he got the hang of it really quick. Now, obviously his experience isn't the same with everyone, but I don't see why it would be damaging to your vocal chords if it doesn't hurt. That just isn't how your vocal chords are built.
Anyway, I've been trying to figure out screaming, but I just haven't got it yet. I would like to be able to for musical purposes, but so far that doesn't look likely. Every time I try screaming, I end up singing off key instead of getting the scream sound. I feel like it could be that I'm not getting the distortion in the right place. Any advice on this?
cakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #216

Okay so I read some of the previous posts and I found a lot of them quite laughable.
These are the two most ridiculous claims I've seen.

1. There is no such thing as "false chords"
2. Screaming is "enter definition here" so using false chord "screaming" has to damage your vocal chords.

On the first bullet, might I suggest anyone who thinks vestibular/ventricular folds don't exist search for the works on Electrophysiologic Activity of the Vestibular Fold by Hilton Ricz, MD, PhD; Patrı´cia Bastos, MD; Lı´lian Aguiar-Ricz, SLP, PhD; Wilson Marques Jr, MD, PhD; Rui Celso Martins Mamede, MD, PhD
The work of these five highly educated scientists not only verifies the widely acknowledged existence of "false chords" but also specifies their use in some speech and in growling/low resonant sounds such as, oh I don't know, Tibetan chanting?

I can perform Tibetan chanting and vocals(which I use in a death metal band) and I know that I am using my vestibular folds for the death metal vocals because I can instantly transition from a Tibetan chant into a death metal growl using the exact same part of my throat creating a very similar sound. This establishes the ability to use vestibular folds for vocals (at least from my own personal experience, since there isn't exactly a field of science dedicated to researching vocal techniques).

The vestibular folds are NOT vocal chords. They are scarcely used for speech and if you were to damage them, you would not be unable to speak, sing or perform any other activity that uses vocal chords. They protect and surround your actual vocal chords and are composed of connective tissues, nerves and fats which create a sort of mucous membrane. Using your vestibular folds will not damage your vocal chords. They are two completely different things and act independently of each other. If you damage your vocal chords, your vestibular folds will remain unaffected and vice-versa. Smacking your vocal chords and vestibular folds against each other will not damage your vocal chords, nor will it damage your vestibular folds. If it did damage the opposite fold, you'd damage your vestibular folds when you performed singing or screaming-which you simply do not do. The vestibular folds vibrate and flap against your vocal folds and guess what? Nothing happens. I have been performing vestibular vocals for about five years now and have never lost my voice, bled, or felt pain from doing them. Gottal fry vocals are much different and trust me when I say you will damage your vocal chords from doing those. You tighten your vocal folds and vibrate them at ridiculous speeds(even when doing lower pitched gottal fry vocals). When doing them mostly correctly, you will likely experience mild pain, slight voice loss and if you are unlucky, bleeding/scarring. However, when doing vestibular fold vocals, you don't damage your vocal folds.

2. Vestibular fold vocals are NOT screaming. Your vocal folds do nothing. All you are doing is vibrating your vestibular folds. What is even better is that vestibular folds are often used for lower pitched vocals, and thus the folds vibrate very slowly when doing "growls" which decreases your chances of damaging your vestibular folds. High pitched vestibular fold vocals vibrate the flaps at high speeds which does pose a threat to your vestibular folds. Perhaps if you perform vestibular fold vocals loud and high pitched enough, you could theoretically damage your vocal folds from the sheer force put on them, but the damage would be so miniscule that it'd be nearly undetectable. I'd say you may begin to slightly lose your voice for a couple minutes and notice that within less than ten minutes your voice is completely back to the previous condition it was in. I have experienced this phenomena when I began vestibular fold vocals and did not know how not to do them, so I tried to create the loudest and most high pitched vocals possible and began to lose my voice very slightly for about ten minutes after which I was completely healed. In general, though, vestibular fold vocals are nearly harmless and you will not lose your voice from doing them.

Last edited by Project_Venus; 09-30-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Project_Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakirby View Post
I feel like not a lot of the "teaching" on this thread are necessarily accurate. I was talking to Josh from Emery a week or two ago after a concert and he said that screaming never hurt his voice and that he got the hang of it really quick. Now, obviously his experience isn't the same with everyone, but I don't see why it would be damaging to your vocal chords if it doesn't hurt. That just isn't how your vocal chords are built.
Anyway, I've been trying to figure out screaming, but I just haven't got it yet. I would like to be able to for musical purposes, but so far that doesn't look likely. Every time I try screaming, I end up singing off key instead of getting the scream sound. I feel like it could be that I'm not getting the distortion in the right place. Any advice on this?
Josh does vestibular fold vocals. A lot of death metal vocalists do. It is pretty harmless. Almost everyone else on here is discussing gottal fry vocals which is why their "advice" isn't adding up.
Project_Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #218

Falsetto scream?

Hey guys i'm new to the forum and i was wondering if you had any tips for how to cultivate scream that is higher pitch like RED, disciple etc. all the lesson videos i've seen show how to scream down low with chest voice i'm wanting to learn more high, falsetto screaming... Any and all tips are appreciated thanks!
Zrudolph is offline   Reply With Quote