Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #196
Oishi

Send a message via AIM to SashimiOishi
Ok I have done a few recordings... And well... I cannot figure what I am doing wrong... Everything sounds too airy... Like it sounds too much like a whisper... Unless I go lower...

Number one is the not so good one... And then number 2 is pretty bad but a bit better I think...

Should I try doing some recordings without music???

And the songs I tried were

1 - When Everything Falls - Haste the Day
2 - The Dawning Age - Nodes of Ranvier

Just the opening to both... And I didn't feel like singing on the second... Cause... I didn't lol...

And they are both bad sounding... And I am aware lol... Any tips on improvement?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Test 1.wav (2.46 MB, 27 views)
File Type: wav Test 2.wav (2.86 MB, 22 views)

I want to start a band... Maybe call it December's Lullaby or Spero.
Whatcha think?
SashimiOishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #197
not so bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiOishi View Post
Ok I have done a few recordings... And well... I cannot figure what I am doing wrong... Everything sounds too airy... Like it sounds too much like a whisper... Unless I go lower...
Well...ARE you whispering? It REALLY sounds like you are. You probably should flange/phase your vox either.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #198
Oishi

I dont think I am... I get the same airy problem when I sing... Chances are I am just whispering lol... But I seem to always have too much air... Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Cause I have the same problem when singing... Especially the higher I go.

Whatcha think?
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #199
Taster of Pork!

The 2nd song sounded less whispery, but still whispering present.

The only thing I'd suggest is work on form and breath support. When you sing, how is ur form[are you standing, sitting down, etc.]?

Also I think the reason why your screams sound more like whispering is because it sounds like you have a crappy breath support. As I said this before to other people before, I'll say it again: Find a vocal teacher to help you work on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #200
Oishi

I am sitting... I am up straight... But I am sure sitting does not help lol... Yeah I do... I havent figured out really the proper method... I really want to, but I only know of one... And I dont have the money for that... So what i have been working on has mostly been self taught lol... Its bad though...

Whatcha think?
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishstash View Post
Okay, that was 2 replies telling me nothing about technique.

By the way, I've already read a million and one posts that says screaming is bad for your voice. Obviously, I don't mind. I'm prepared to scar my voice in any way in praise of God.

Anyhow, TIPS!?!

How can I produce a higher pitched scream?

RocK

Hey man, the ONLY tip i can really give you is just keep practicing...It will come with time, some people just learn faster than others. Haha doing highs took a bit....And i dont agree the falsetto thing at all. I have a friend who screams in falsetto in his band. (Rhythm guitar and back-up screams) And no offense to him, but he sounds like a moron...Idk maybe its just him.

I pretty much just practiced covering songs off meh ipod

Just remember if it hurts, then stop. Cause you will mess something up

And warm-up before you start practicing, by singing a song or something
oh, so bright! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #202
busted collarbones suck

i can scream in falsetto and it sounds pretty good its just that i dont have a mic to try it on

ps i can scream but i cant sing is that bad
ATTACK ATTACK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK ATTACK! View Post
i can scream in falsetto and it sounds pretty good its just that i dont have a mic to try it on

ps i can scream but i cant sing is that bad
Depends what kind of band you want to be in. You obviously listen to Attack Attack. With that type of music you can get away with not singing, but it's usually a good talent to have.

Or you could be like Underoath or The Devil Wears Prada and have a lead screamer and a singer who plays an instrument...

It definitely won't hurt you future opportunities to learn to sing though...
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #204
busted collarbones suck

yeah its just i cant find a teacher
Unread 08-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #205
busted collarbones suck

if u screw up your voice screaming what happens?
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #206

I think you'll pretty much know if it happens...

It's not something that happens right away though. This is like if you learn it wrong and then do it like that for a while you'll slowly ruin your voice.

Screaming is bad enough for you as it is, doing it without a teacher is not a good idea. Keep looking of a teacher. If you're seriously considering doing this regularly you won't regret it.

The other reason for getting a teacher is screaming can come out sounding downright awful if you don't do it right. A couple friends and I did a performance of How Great Thou Art by Becoming The Archetype, and the lead singer learned to scream by having our drummer who claims he can do it properly show him how. He ended up barely being able to talk for the rest of the day, and pretty much everyone's comment was that it was really good except for the screaming. This was coming from fans of screaming.

Just a thought, check local schools for teachers. Even if they're not paid by the school, a lot of teachers try to advertise in schools cause that's where most students come from.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #207
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Yeah, if he couldn't talk for the rest of the day he was definitely doing something wrong....

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #208
Taster of Pork!

Quote:
Or you could be like Underoath or The Devil Wears Prada and have a lead screamer and a singer who plays an instrument...
or if like Chino Mireno from Deftones. He both sings and screams in the band. IDK how good u are at doing both. The only logical solution to find out if you can do both is do what crazymoose suggested, find a teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #209
Ax
Rabid Wombat

A good rule of thumb, if your throat gets sore... STOP! By that point you've already done damage, so don't go any further... and that means ANY pain, even just the slightest discomfort.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
The 2nd song sounded less whispery, but still whispering present.

The only thing I'd suggest is work on form and breath support. When you sing, how is ur form[are you standing, sitting down, etc.]?

Also I think the reason why your screams sound more like whispering is because it sounds like you have a crappy breath support. As I said this before to other people before, I'll say it again: Find a vocal teacher to help you work on this.
Big key here is... Learn how to sing properly first. Here's some main keys.

1. Breath Support

I know I'm re-hashing what others have said... but this is key. Good singers don't stay at the same volume all the time. Higher notes require more air and volume to hit. (there also is a fine line. Forcing it can hurt you too.)

The proper way to breathe is by using the abdominal muscles right above your stomach, but below your lungs. a.k.a "Breathing with your diaphragm." DO NOT BREATHE USING YOUR MUSCLES IN YOUR CHEST! Your abdominal muscles have more power and are essential in producing good tone.

2. Releasing air.

You should not feel any tension in your throat... If your throat feels tight, your doing something wrong. Proper singing allows the air to flow out well and not put too much tension or force on the vocal folds. (If you sing with too much tension on your throat... you will end up like Mark Stuart and have your doctor force you to never sing again)

Also check for nasaliness! I found the best way to check this is to sing a few lines and place my finger on my nose. If you feel a lot of vibration on your nose (except on N's and M's, or any other naturally nasal consonant) than you need to practice to overcome nasaliness. This ties back to breath support. You need to focus your tone on your hard palate in your mouth. There are plenty of exercises to overcome nasaliness that you can find either on CGR or somewhere else online.

3. Problems with screaming.

Now I will make this disclaimer... I DO NOT SCREAM any in my singing. I mainly sing in what is called "Belting". (basically anything that's not opera is this, and contrary to popular belief it is actually very safe if done right) Screaming will make you lose your voice FAST! I have found some ways to scream safely... but this ties into proper singing. Certain high notes will naturally have the a certain "screamed" sound to them, but the distortion is not produced in the throat (normally this is at a high volume too). If anything is forced in the throat to where it hurts... take a break or change technique.

In a nutshell... Practice good vocal techique first... and then try screaming (or you can get a vocal coach)

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote