Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
Electric Guitar in Praise team

Hello, i am planning to buy electric guitar and learn it so i can play it in the praise team. i have 400 dollar and is thinking about buying fender or something aroud there in good price range. should i get a pedal too?

main question is in praise team what does electric guitar do? since there is already main acoustic guitar leading the praise, how do i support in the back ground. if so, will i need pedal to do that? like does electric guitar just play the same thing in the background or???

our church doesn't play too many of hard songs, just simple praise songs. so what should or can electric guitar do? pick, strum? add on?

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
Smart Alek

Send a message via Yahoo to GuiTarDudE89
If you don't play any hard songs, then a Fender would be a good guitar. You might want a pedal just in case you need to do distortion (that's the pedal you're talking about, right?), but you would probably do fine without it.

Isn't that beautiful
GuiTarDudE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiTarDudE89
If you don't play any hard songs, then a Fender would be a good guitar. You might want a pedal just in case you need to do distortion (that's the pedal you're talking about, right?), but you would probably do fine without it.
Thats somewhat ridiculous to say "If you dont play any hard songs, then a Fender would be a good guitar". Many of the hardest songs written were played on Strats (Think of Malmsteen's speed on a Strat). Great players such as Hendrix, Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn all played Fender Strats. Now my advice to seungk5 would be to buy a Fender MIM Strat and a small tube amp such as the Fender Pro Jr. and NO effects pedal. Effects at a low price range will be gimmicky and will merely mask poor technique. Learning on a Strat and small Tube amp would be ideal, especially if you learn to make the guitar sound good through just the amp and learning to do effects such as vibrato and harmonics without the aid of a pedal.

As to what the electric guitar player does in a worship band setting? They often will chord along during chorus with a lighter distortion and will do lead melodies all throughout the song. Not often will you see "solo's" but there are many instrumental parts where the electric will play lead lines.
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
I play electric in my praise team with a Blues Driver, wah, and delay. All three are great to have, but I use the first two primarily.

I usually play different voicings in different areas of the neck, or play an accompaniment style. That is, not single-note lead, but constructive and complementing double-stop or interval parts. It's basically just lead guitar, and you can use whatever style you're most comfortable with and what sounds the best.
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #5

eh? what's Blues Driver, wah, and delay

and what kind of guitar is fender MIM strats?

also, is it better for electric guitar to pick in the background while the song goes on ? or should i just down stroke the basic melody and chords.

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylB
Thats somewhat ridiculous to say "If you dont play any hard songs, then a Fender would be a good guitar". Many of the hardest songs written were played on Strats...
I think he meant hard ROCK songs. Still not quite true, but much closer.
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Do you has?

Send a message via AIM to joab05
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
It is a Strat (type of guitar) made by Fender in Mexico (hence, the MIM).
joab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #8

Quote:
I think he meant hard ROCK songs. Still not quite true, but much closer.
Yeah, HEAVY distorted rock tones would be a better description I guess. Stock strats aren't the greatest for that, but there are a lot models with humbuckers in the bridge.

As far as transitioning to electric - it is a different style of playing than acoustic. What you need to do is start listening to the electric guitar parts of songs, and try to copy that. I'm not sure that a couple paragraphs posted in this thread is going to help you much.

If you don't have an electric guitar amp, you will need one of those also. These amps are not a hi fidelity sound reproduction system, they are a lo-fi amp that either employ the old technology of vacuum tubes, or circuitry that attempts to emulate the sound of an amp with vacuum tubes. The electric guitar amp processes the guitar's signal in a particular way that makes it pleasing and musical. Plugging it straight into the board of a sound system, home stereo, acoustic guitar amp, or other high fidelity sound reproduction system will not sound good. There are devices called modelers, which start at under 100 bux, that mimic real guitar amps and produce an output which can be fed to a sound system and sound pretty decent. The down side to these is that it is probably easier to get a bad sound than a good one; they are tweakable to an infinite degree.

A lot of people on this forum recommend the Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Stratocasters, and they certainly are a worthy guitar. There are lots of alternatives available these days though. Korean made guitars for the most part are great values. There are tons of different brands that you can go look at and research. Have fun with it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #9
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
eh? what's Blues Driver, wah, and delay
Pedals. There are many different types of pedals. Until you understand how they work and what they do you should avoid them. The more gear you have the harder it is to learn to PLAY GUITAR.

Quote:
Brand: Fender
Model: Stratocaster
Other: Made in Mexico

Put it together and you get Fender MIM Strat. MIM Strats are generally considered high quality guitars for a reasonable price.

Quote:
also, is it better for electric guitar to pick in the background while the song goes on ? or should i just down stroke the basic melody and chords.
Strumming the chords is a good place to start. Eventually you will learn more techniques and how to utilize the electric guitar's unique sound.

$400 is not going to buy you a MIM Strat and a tube amp as people are suggesting. The Blues Junior (tube amp) alone is $400. I think the MIM Strat is around the same price. For $400 you'd do best to go to a local music store (not a pawn shop) that sells used gear. Get a musiciansfriend.com catalog if you don't have one already so you can compare their prices to the prices for new gear. That's an easy way to avoid getting ripped off. A friend of mine found a Epiphone Les Paul Standard ($500 guitar) for $180. Just make sure you check out used gear thoroughly to make sure everything works on it. (A good store will help you do this if you don't know how.)

If you don't want to go the used route, I'd get a low end Ibanez guitar and a small Crate amp. That you could probably do for $400.

PS - Get a musiciansfriend catalog (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...me/cr/catalog/). Browsing catalogs is a great way to familiarize yourself with what's out there.
Unread 06-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #10
An ingrowing Whale

Send a message via AIM to dnl88
You can play P&W on a 7 string ibanez. Just buy the guitar u want and u can use it for p&w. Any hard body guitar can do p&w well enough. Thats what i think at least

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

dnl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 07:34 AM   #11
An ingrowing Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joab05
It is a Strat (type of guitar) made by Fender in Mexico (hence, the MIM).
Wow, i always thought this mean't mimic. Ain't I an idiot? unless u're the idiot? no offence

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Unread 06-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #12
power chord hater

As for what guitar to buy: I started out on a low-end ibanez and a crate amp. Worked good until i learned how to play guitar. In other words, you'll grow out of it and regret it. Buy something that can grow with you. MIM strat is a good example. I'd save a bit more money before you go out lookin for a guitar and amp, UNLESS someone in your church has a decent amp you can borrow for a while. Then try that.

As for how to play elec guitar in a p&w band: The best advice i can give you is GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY! There are so many elec guitarist in p&w bands that take over and all they do is strum. Your job is to suppliment what's already going on. Best way to do this is to pick chords and stuff (instead of constant strumming), use different chord voicings, and do simple lead licks where there is a lull in the melody. You're just there to help out and be in the background. You are not the star. Also, you don't have to play all the time. Learn to pick your spots. Sometimes you sound a lot better when you don't play at all. Come in when the song needs something, stay out if you don't have anything to offer.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #13
Do you has?

Send a message via AIM to joab05
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl88
Wow, i always thought this mean't mimic. Ain't I an idiot? unless u're the idiot? no offence
It most certainly stands for Made In Mexico. I'll leave the idiot part alone.
joab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
An ingrowing Whale

Ok I'm an idiot!

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Unread 06-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #15

does guitar center have used guitar?

i am thinking about getting a used guitar and maybe bargain for it a little bit to get guitar case, strap, and stands with it for 300.

and 100 for amp just to practice by my self. since my church has mixer adn speakers i dont think i need to have a good amp. so will it still work if i plug it in with the rest of the instruments in the same mixer? i mean there's space but distortion adn all that how will it sound.

and if my church speaker and mixer is good enough i can just get a 100 dollar amp to practice by my self right?

by the way i meant hard songs meaning muscially hard not like hard rock. since my praise team isn't that talented we play pretty simple p&w songs.