Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123

Looks like a big, carpeted, DI box.

Unread 07-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #92
thistledown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
I hate Fender CyberTwins...

I just don't like what I hear coming out. A bunch of bells and whistles, but the tone I heard wasn't that great. If you want a modeling amp, then sure, but then again, there are a lot of tube amps in the price range of the cybertwin that don't have a lot of extra stuff most beginning guitarists don't really need. Just my opinion...

Ok. How big is your church? That'll help us determine the wattage you'll need. A Peavey Classic 30 will probably cut through very well. Don't think all in terms of wattage, but actually try the amps, and see how loud they can get. Testing like that will give you a better feel for which amp will suit you best. Go to GC at a time when not a lot of people are there, and just crank the amps.

And about line out sounding bad, that's not because of the amp quality, but because of the actual nature of guitar amplifiers. It will nearly always sound bad, or at leat less-then-optimum quality. That is, unless you buy this...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/AxeTrak.html
i'm not the only one that doesn't like the cyber twin!!!! yeah, why get that and have to shell out more $$$ for the footswitch when you can get yourself a fender twin? the only modeling amp that i see worth the money of the amp and the footcontroller would be the Line 6 Vetta II. that thing is nuts. i think that the guy from tree63 plays through one.
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #93
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker
Looks like a big, carpeted, DI box.
Yeah. It does.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #94

That's a lot of money to use it instead of a mic, its really made for home recording, plus it is something else to lug around and will be a factor in the impedance equation for the amp. There is a device made by Palmer - a D.I. specifically for guitar amps, I think it gets hooked up to the speaker terminals, that has a speaker/cab sim built in. I think they are close to $100. (about the same as an SM 57....), a lot of guys use those and say it sounds great, even preferring it over the mic. Personally I like the simplicity of an amp with a mic stuck in front of it. I think though, that Seung is set on the line out for whatever reason ...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #95
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I think though, that Seung is set on the line out for whatever reason ...
1) because i'm a moron.
2) And i recommended it to him.
3) And it was the first thing he heard on the subject so it's the thing that he's clinging to as what is 'right'.

So ummm, oops? No more advice from me when i don't know what i'm talking about.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle
1) because i'm a moron.
2) And i recommended it to him.
3) And it was the first thing he heard on the subject so it's the thing that he's clinging to as what is 'right'.

So ummm, oops? No more advice from me when i don't know what i'm talking about.
-shane

Hmmm, I thought he mentioned that early on, that it would be a problem for the sound people at his church.
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #97

Groovadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVADELIC
I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from critiquing the performance - this is not for that purpose. Thanks in advance.
Would it be okay to post that your group sounds really good? If not, I won't.

Very, very nice.
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #98
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVADELIC
This is a follow-up earlier when I said I'd put some mp3s of a worship recording from a revival meeting. I'm playing the electric guitar so if you have any questions about gear or technique, I'm more than willing to share that.

I apologize, but I can only put up 4 mp3s at a time due to a 25mb hosting capacity. So I'll link these for now. I chose these songs because they are much simpler than the others. Rather than putting up the more complex songs involving more lead, I think these will make a little more sense for you that are trying to start off. These are all mainly simple chords and phrases attempted to be played coherently with a lot of improvisation. Please play the file by right clicking and saving the target rather than streaming to save bandwidth.

Overflow
Sing to the King
Blessed Be Your Name
My Redeemer Lives

If any of you want the other songs I mentioned, request the song that you'd like me to put up. I'll take these down and put up another four at a time - after this you may be like, "uh... nevermind."

Again just as a disclaimer, this is not a professional recording - we mess up plenty of times, we are not musicians, but serving the body of Christ - I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from critiquing the performance - this is not for that purpose. Thanks in advance.
What gear are you using in your guitar setup? What mics are you using to mic each instrument? I'm especially curious about the drums (sound good).
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #99

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
honestly those 4 songs sound really good. i honestly isn't a good muscian so i can't tell the difference but persoanlly i think it sounds like a normal cd by other band.

anyway i can't figure out what is electric and waht is acoustic. if there is distortion is that electric? or do you guys play electric guitar with no distorton sometimes?

also for the amp i think i should mic it... lol everyone is telling me here and other places that i should mic the amp and it sounds alot better. i will probalby do that but wouldn't 20 dollar mic that GC give be bad quality? or would it be good enough for micing the amp.

well my youth santuary is size of a good 2 large living room... or maybe 3 but really not that big . we got about 30 people every week in the room... we have drum, key board, lead acoustic guitarist, 3 vocals, and PA system that does the rest.

another question (sorry but i really apprecaite your advice guys thanks!)
if i mic the amp that means i can pretty much get any amp right? any amp that is decent around 300 dollar would do me just fine??? cause than i could use extra 50-100 dollar to buy the mic and extra cord. plus can i really trust those cheap mics that GC give you? or should i get a good 100 dollar mic

also what is model amp? and what is Pod amp and what is tube amp
and which one should i get...

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #100

oh yeah groove

overflow where is the electric? is it the lead guitar?? or is that aocustic

for blessed be your name the beginning intro is by the acoustic guitar right? is that possible to be done by electric? or electric just play the back ground.

also how does the electric guitar make that cool noise toward the end?? it kind of changes tone or something but it sound cool how do you do that.
i know blessed be your name in acoustic, so i can do the acoustic part but i am clueless about electric part, is it alot different? i tried with my friend's guitar to do blessed be your name in electric like if it's acoustic... i am still confused how to play electric guitar opposed to acoustic

so for those songs how do you learn to play them?? just by listening to them and reading the tabs? cause i dont have a musical ear and is pretty much tone deaf

oh yeah groove thanks so much for those audio they are awsome, very helpful i will listen till i get how to play it!! thanks alot, if it's not too much to ask i would like to listen to more of it if possible thanks

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #101

Quote:
also for the amp i think i should mic it... lol everyone is telling me here and other places that i should mic the amp and it sounds alot better. i will probalby do that but wouldn't 20 dollar mic that GC give be bad quality? or would it be good enough for micing the amp.
Cheap mics don't sound that bad for mic'ing a guitar cab. Its not the perfect solution, but it would sound better than just a line out from an amp, and the $$ seemed to be a big issue, so I suggested that. Later on you could aquire a professional mic. I gotta tell you though, with your description of the size of this room, you probably will not need to mic the amp. To me it sounds like a job for a Blues Jr. (yes they are loud), but again, if money is an issue then you will have to make that call. Anything cheaper than that would be a solid state amp, and I don't have any knowledge of those, maybe someone else's recommendation would be good for you.
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #102

how much is the Fender Blues jr, i think i should get it since lot of people recommend it here.

but i just read the how to buy amp forum and was wondering if fender blue can really last me a life time. it's really that loud? to keep up with drum and pa system? cause somebody told me i have to mic the amps... cause chances are amps wont have the power to do it. btw i could use about 400 dollar on an amp i want to keep it for lifetime though

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #103
Straight Edge Life.

Send a message via AIM to smashing guitar
well in my youth band, my pastor plays lead guitar(electric) and i play rythem(also electric). he plays the regular chords, and i play the power chords, he single picks his chords after he strums them, i just let them ring. he has a gt-5, he has like chorus/reverb and all that stuff on a setting .and i just use a lighter distortoin.
and that works for the P&W band.

but it is kinda hard to under stand, cause we play totally differnt how can it sound good it just does.
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:16 PM   #104

Quote:
cause somebody told me i have to mic the amps... cause chances are amps wont have the power to do it.
Did they know how small the room was? The BJ is a loud amp, it should be loud enough to be heard with most drummers. If it isn't, then the mic. From your description of your abilities, it will probably be louder than you need. Put it this way, in that size room, with the BJ turned up loud, you should definitely wear ear plugs to protect your hearing.

EDIT:

As far as longevity, if you take care of it, and follow my advice below (trust me ), it should last as long as any other PC board amp, many, many years. This advice is for any amp, SS or tube, and is based on my experience as an electronic tech (not amps), and the repairs I have made on mine, my bandmates, friends, and churches audio/amp equipment.

1) always wrap the guitar cord around the handle to strain-relieve the input jack, and always insert and remove the cord with a nice straight movement.
2) never set drinks on the amp, and never let it get wet.
3) always set the amp down gently, like it is a bucket full of eggs. Always pack it in the car in such a way that it won't fall over.
4) never let anyone else move the amp, as they probably will not observe #3
5) never lend the amp to anyone, or leave it somewhere where someone may use it, as they probably will not observe #1, 2, or 3.

Following the above will probably eliminate 75% of amp failures.

Last edited by Major Tom; 07-14-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #105

Sinker - All that matters is if it is worship to God. Thanks!

DaryIB - The guitar is a Fender American Series with a SD Hotrails in the bridge. I'm playing it through stomp effects and into a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 amp. The mic is a shure sm-57.
Drums - The only thing I know is the kick drum mic is an audix D6, we had mics for everything individually including 2 aerials.

Seung - Anything distortion or chorus on these tracks is electric guitar. In these songs I'm playing a lot of chords - picking and strumming. There are four techniques that I use almost on all improving and most of the christian artists and bands (Chris Tomlin, Hillsongs, Matt Redman, David Crowder, etc) use these four things.
1) Common Chords - open chords, barre chords, fifth chords (in layman's, top two strings of a barre chord), double stops (two strings that harmonize each other listen to the chorus of "Made Me Glad" which uses double stops - I'll put it up).
2) Pentatonic scale - This is everyone's bread and butter. It's a five note scale which you can learn in one easy lesson. Find it somewhere online.
3) Mixolydian scale - I use this for Sing to the King, that "cool" part in Blessed Be the Name, Holy is the Lord... I'm using the Mixolydian on and playing the bottom 3 strings (G, B, and high E). If you count it, it should be 8 notes. I use this as much as the Pentatonic and so do a lot of guitarists. You can find it online and copy a lot of my stuff as well as many christian bands.
4) Octaves - I'm always strumming octaves up and down the neck. An octave is like a G note on the bass string (E string) on the 3rd fret and then fret the string two down (open D string) at the 5th fret. It's the same note, but one octave apart. Slide this formation up and down the neck. You can do the same thing with a C on the open A string 3rd fret and open G string 5th fret. Make sure you mute the other strings by touching them but not pressing them against a fret with the fingers you're not using.

Lastly, don't be intimidated by all this technical talk. Chances are in a few months you'll start to go back to some of the stuff talked about in these discussions and it will make a lot of sense. I dabbled with electric a little in college, but I crossed over from acoustic to electric officially only a year ago...

I'll put up 4 more songs a little more guitar intensive.
GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote