Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #76
...has no face

Groovadelic: I'd also be very grateful to hear those recordings, if you don't mind.

joshaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-13-2004, 12:22 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle
power chords = suck.

Forget about whatever you learned. They serve their purpose in punk, etc, but NOT in p&w. You can do much better with full barre chords.

As for strumming: If there's already two guitarists, you probably don't want to strum much. I'm going to assume that one is playing accoustic and that the other is playing lead. In this case you want to be the QUIETEST in the mix. You are background, completely. There's already an accoustic guitar (i guess) and a keyboard laying out the rhythm and the lead guitarist and bass are filling in the holes.

All you want to do (for the most part) is just hit whatever chord they're playing and let it ring. You can use a pretty heavy distortion as long as you are WAAY back in the mix. You are just going to add to the mix. Your goal is for people to not even realize that you are playing, you want to blend in that good. Use different chord voicings as well. If the other guitarist is playing an open G chord, play a barred G chord. Or maybe even capo up and play the song in a different key.

Experiment, but make sure that you stay in the background. Above all else, don't go crazy strumming. Keep it simple. If you strum a lot it's gonna sound muddy and you'll hurt the mix a lot more than you help.
-shane
You know what, I thought about it and I disagree about the power chords thing. I think it adds a awesome twist to everything, I was jamming today with my friends and we just did a simple tune. 4 beats of G, D, Em, C. So we had one of the guys doing that, and then another friend doing a kind of solo, and i was doing power chords, it blended so well.
But maybe your guys p/w is different right.. different strokes for different folks.
liontamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 12:13 PM   #78

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
well that guitar in guitar center. fender ash strat it's 418 and it looks nice. i think i am gonna try it and buy it. i am only gonna spend about 400 for the guitar that's for sure. for the amp i am thinking about 300 dollar range or maybe 400 but would 100 dollar make that huge differnce? i mean 300 dollar would get me a decent amp that can bring out clean tone from the guitar right? espeacially if i am gonnna use line out to the Pa system.

also what's differnece between telecaster and stratcaster

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #79

i cant find that "how to buy an amp" forum help??

i think i am more worried about buying the amp now and getting a good deal. it seems like i am gonna go for fender strat

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 07-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #80
power chord hater

it's in the amp forum. Under hardware i believe. You'd probably do pretty good with the Fender Cybertwin (as seen on the page you posted the link to) and a fender strat. Make sure you check prices around though. Just cuz GC has it for $418 doesn't mean you can't find it cheaper somewhere.

liontamer - What kinda music were you playing? Try barre chords, i think you'd be even more impressed with the sound. Or maybe even partial barre chords. I'm just a power-chord hater cuz it was the first thing i learned on guitar and it was a crutch for a long time. It serves it's purpose but most of the time it's just overused in the wrong circumstances. Show me one good (non-punk) song that uses powerchords.

Guy that was gonna post all the songs (sorry forgot your name ) - I'd like to hear blessed be your name.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #81

Fender Blues Jr. is a good choice, you should be able to get a new one under $400. It is plenty loud for just about any P & W application, and very portable. If that worries you, buy it from a store that has a 30 return policy, so you can try it out and take it back if you don't like it. It is a plug and play amp - very easy to get a good sound, no built in effects or digital presets to muck up your tone, corn-fuse you, or make it frustrating to operate. If you can find a used one, so much the better; there's lots of them out there. I saw one in a local classified last week, it said near mint condition and they were asking 200... now THAT'a a bargain.

Peavey Classic 30 is another good choice, same attributes as the BJ, although it has more power and is normally a little higher in price, there are lots of used ones available.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #82

hey guys i just came back from guitar center

i didnt ask anyone but i just played some guitars and tried some with my pastor (also my lead guitarist)

the 419 dollar Fender Mexico standard Ash Strat & Tele was 419

the fender amp was 360 dollar, it had plenty of power and was clean and clear. however i saw CRATE 65 watts for 300

as for amp i am leaning toward the fender because i think it is light and has enough power to compete wtih my praise team PA system/drum but what's the wattage i should be looking for to do that???

as for the guitar i reallyl lilke the Ash Fender Strat it looks nice but i didn't try it. i only tried the Telecaster but it was nice.

i saw les paul ephipone for 99 dollar i tried it and honestly couldn't tell the difference with the 400 dollar telecaster but when i turned the distortion down it was muggy sound.

i am thinking about telling them my budget is 750
getting 360 dollar fender amp
419 fender MIM STRAT or TEle??? somebody tell me the diffrence
Ash cause i love the wood pine color
and gig bag or hard case and cable, stand and hoepfully they'll cut me some price or give me free case and stand and cables

as for gig bags or hard case which is better? i nkow gig bags are easier to carry but hard cases look so nice

Unread 07-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #83

cybertwins??? u mean http://guitarcenter.com/buyersguide/page23.cfm
the first 2 you see??? i think that standard strats were 350 good price but i haven't tried them. but i like the Ash look so much... irresistible~

as long as it's a good guitar i am willing to go for it~ wut should i name her?

Unread 07-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #84

GC does have a little room to come down. If you buy both at the same time, I would tell 'em $700 + tax for both. Telecasters are cool guitars too, just different sounds. Tele's have a little more sustain, less pickup combinations (3 vs 5), they also don't have the vibrato bridge which may or may not be a good thing for you. Those vibratos can be a tuning problem if not set up right, and/or the user (you) doesn't know how to adjust it, or learn the proper tuning technique. A lot of electric newbies have issues with those.

Several members of this forum recommend the strats for a first electric guitar; it is a fine guitar and all, probably better than a rank beginner needs, but there are a lot of alternatives out there. There are the problems of the vibrato bridge (not insurmountable, but...) and strat guitars aren't the easiest to get a good sound, they for the most part have a very spikey attack, low sustain, and are very thin sounding. I have strats and love them, but it is more difficult to make them sound good than other guitars as far as an amp they sound good with, and getting the amp tweaked. For someone making a transition with that budget, for a first electric, I personally would recommend an all-mahogany type guitar, like an SG or Les Paul Special or Jr. style - not necessarily a Gibson, but of those styles. There are lots of Korean guitars that meet that criteria in that price range. They are insanely easy to get a nice sound - they have a sweet tone that is more compressed than a Fender - style, nice sustain. No vibrato bridge to be a potential source of frustration. I would recommend a model with "PAF" style pickups for a beginner.

My 2 cents

Unread 07-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #85

my bad cyber twin the amp..

k amp will be a problem... under 400 what is an amp that can be lineout and not micd.

i talked to someone and he said line out will sound bad and i need to mic to get the best sound. any good amp wiht lineout???

since to buy amp that can compete with drum and PA system is really expensive....

do i really ahve to mic and not use line out? cause it's trouble for the church to buy another mic

Unread 07-13-2004, 10:25 PM   #86
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5

k amp will be a problem... under 400 what is an amp that can be lineout and not micd.

i talked to someone and he said line out will sound bad and i need to mic to get the best sound. any good amp wiht lineout???

since to buy amp that can compete with drum and PA system is really expensive....

do i really ahve to mic and not use line out? cause it's trouble for the church to buy another mic
Line out is pretty crappy unless you are using POD or something meant to go direct. Just buy an amp like the Blues Jr. and your church can suck it up and pay the $200 CAD (like $100somethign USD) to buy an SM57
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #87

Quote:

Deja Vu

well... GC or wherever you get this stuff would probably throw in a $20. microphone that would work fine for that. There are 6 pages of forum member advice on this, some even with decades of electric guitar performance experience. If you don't like the advice given, maybe you need to start a new thread, "must have amp with line out".

Quote:
k amp will be a problem...
Yes, k amp has always been a problem for electrik guitarists, but no guts, no glory. For the most part we just work around it the best we kan.
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:05 AM   #88

Quote:
liontamer - What kinda music were you playing? Try barre chords, i think you'd be even more impressed with the sound. Or maybe even partial barre chords. I'm just a power-chord hater cuz it was the first thing i learned on guitar and it was a crutch for a long time. It serves it's purpose but most of the time it's just overused in the wrong circumstances. Show me one good (non-punk) song that uses powerchords.
-shane
by barre chords i'm gonna guess that means chords on lower frets. eg. G on 3rd fret? I haven't got to learning those yet, I plan on learning them soon though. While playing power chords I've found that any song that's real intense and upbeat sounds good, like some of the upbeat Hillsongs. One Way by United is great with power chords, actually I think they use power chords in the actual song.
liontamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #89

Arrow mp3s

This is a follow-up earlier when I said I'd put some mp3s of a worship recording from a revival meeting. I'm playing the electric guitar so if you have any questions about gear or technique, I'm more than willing to share that.

I apologize, but I can only put up 4 mp3s at a time due to a 25mb hosting capacity. So I'll link these for now. I chose these songs because they are much simpler than the others. Rather than putting up the more complex songs involving more lead, I think these will make a little more sense for you that are trying to start off. These are all mainly simple chords and phrases attempted to be played coherently with a lot of improvisation. Please play the file by right clicking and saving the target rather than streaming to save bandwidth.

Overflow
Sing to the King
Blessed Be Your Name
My Redeemer Lives

If any of you want the other songs I mentioned, request the song that you'd like me to put up. I'll take these down and put up another four at a time - after this you may be like, "uh... nevermind."

Again just as a disclaimer, this is not a professional recording - we mess up plenty of times, we are not musicians, but serving the body of Christ - I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from critiquing the performance - this is not for that purpose. Thanks in advance.
GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #90
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
it's in the amp forum. Under hardware i believe. You'd probably do pretty good with the Fender Cybertwin (as seen on the page you posted the link to) and a fender strat. Make sure you check prices around though. Just cuz GC has it for $418 doesn't mean you can't find it cheaper somewhere.
I hate Fender CyberTwins...

I just don't like what I hear coming out. A bunch of bells and whistles, but the tone I heard wasn't that great. If you want a modeling amp, then sure, but then again, there are a lot of tube amps in the price range of the cybertwin that don't have a lot of extra stuff most beginning guitarists don't really need. Just my opinion...

Quote:

Ok. How big is your church? That'll help us determine the wattage you'll need. A Peavey Classic 30 will probably cut through very well. Don't think all in terms of wattage, but actually try the amps, and see how loud they can get. Testing like that will give you a better feel for which amp will suit you best. Go to GC at a time when not a lot of people are there, and just crank the amps.

And about line out sounding bad, that's not because of the amp quality, but because of the actual nature of guitar amplifiers. It will nearly always sound bad, or at leat less-then-optimum quality. That is, unless you buy this...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/AxeTrak.html

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote