Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2004, 11:28 PM   #61
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Yah, I didn't mean to correct you, just to clarify further/reinforce.

DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylB
Yah, I didn't mean to correct you, just to clarify further/reinforce.
Yes - but it was your post that made me realize that I had left something out... but then you have much younger brain cells than I do

I can certainly use some correction now and again, just ask my wife.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
im kind of use to doing songs in my acoustic

what's the differnce of the role in electric gutiar and acoustic guitar in worship songs?

i mean in fast songs it's obvoius but in slow songs distortion would kind of ruin the mood. so songs like above all and light of the world what do you guys do? just not play? or pick it with no distortion?

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #64
I am not my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
what's the differnce of the role in electric gutiar and acoustic guitar in worship songs?
Phew! You could write a book on that but in crude and short, while the acoustic carries on strumming chords the electric will play melodic phrases often in pauses in singing or in the turnaround. On chorus the electric will often play stuff alluding to or being the chords... it really depends on the song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
i mean in fast songs it's obvoius but in slow songs distortion would kind of ruin the mood. so songs like above all and light of the world what do you guys do? just not play? or pick it with no distortion?
Distortion can sound great on slow songs when used properly. Distortion on a single notes sound quite different from the common idea of distortion on power chords. I"ve heard a version on "Above all" with some short harmony lines played on an electric with a fairly heavy distortion but the guitarist played mostly a sustained note so it sounded really good.
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Phew! You could write a book on that but in crude and short, while the acoustic carries on strumming chords the electric will play melodic phrases often in pauses in singing or in the turnaround. On chorus the electric will often play stuff alluding to or being the chords... it really depends on the song.
Distortion can sound great on slow songs when used properly. Distortion on a single notes sound quite different from the common idea of distortion on power chords. I"ve heard a version on "Above all" with some short harmony lines played on an electric with a fairly heavy distortion but the guitarist played mostly a sustained note so it sounded really good.
Wise words indeed. One important factor that determines if a distorted guitar will ruin a slow song (or any, for that matter) or determine its role in the song is how loud it is in the mix. In a large place with a reasonably competent soundperson, that should not be an issue. Otherwise, you may have to drop the volume at the amp.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #66

so you have to pick alot of melody espeacially in slow songs ?

oh yeah by the way my dad was wilihng to pay more

so my budget jumped to 800

would that change any of my shopping plan? should i still buy 200 dollar amp and as for guitar i am thinking about 500-600 dollar ones maybe used or new
probably still fender maybe even american standard ones, maybe i can get it for 500 as used ones or something.

so should i get better amp??? or better guitar??? and if better what kind of guitar

and if i get 100 dollar of free stuff (accesories) and i pay full retail price for gujitar and the amp about 800 than is that good deal?

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #67
power chord hater

...sometimes i just want to cry...

Anyways, ignore all of the stuff that we said about buying a guitar and amp. Your situation is completely different now.

For your price range I think I would split your money pretty much down the middle. $400 for amp. $400 for guitar. As for the guitar I would once again suggest the Fender MIM strat or an Epiphone Les Paul. You could easily find used ones in this price range, and probably find new. I'm not gonna suggest amps cuz I don't know that much but i'm sure someone else will help you out.

As far as the role of the electric guitar in a praise team: we covered that earlier in the thread. Go back and reread. The last few posts on distortion are really good advice though. Keep that in mind.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM   #68

I also need help with my role in my P/W team.

Scenario: I'm about to buy an electric guitar, I've got all the help I need in that department from friends and reading the other thread about buying guitars and things. We used to have a electric guitar player on our team but he is away for the next 2 months, he used to be REALLY great on our team though, played awesome, but my friend noticed that all he played was power chords. So I took my time to learn power chords and I can do them pretty good now, so lets say on a fast song, how fast should I be strumming? And how loud should I be? Just as loud as the lead guitarist? Our team consists of a bass, keyboard, piano, 2 guitars, and then there is me. Oh BTW I've been playing accoustic thus far.
liontamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #69
power chord hater

power chords = suck.

Forget about whatever you learned. They serve their purpose in punk, etc, but NOT in p&w. You can do much better with full barre chords.

As for strumming: If there's already two guitarists, you probably don't want to strum much. I'm going to assume that one is playing accoustic and that the other is playing lead. In this case you want to be the QUIETEST in the mix. You are background, completely. There's already an accoustic guitar (i guess) and a keyboard laying out the rhythm and the lead guitarist and bass are filling in the holes.

All you want to do (for the most part) is just hit whatever chord they're playing and let it ring. You can use a pretty heavy distortion as long as you are WAAY back in the mix. You are just going to add to the mix. Your goal is for people to not even realize that you are playing, you want to blend in that good. Use different chord voicings as well. If the other guitarist is playing an open G chord, play a barred G chord. Or maybe even capo up and play the song in a different key.

Experiment, but make sure that you stay in the background. Above all else, don't go crazy strumming. Keep it simple. If you strum a lot it's gonna sound muddy and you'll hurt the mix a lot more than you help.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #70

This might help...

Give me a few days on this, but if any of you are interested I'll try and put up some tracks that I recorded a few months ago with a joint worship team at a revival meeting. I'll have slow songs as well as fast songs that you can use as a reference. I'll admit, I'm not a great guitarists, but I feel like I've developed a style of playing to accomodate fast songs as well as slow songs in P&W that are satisfactory in church. We used a hard disk recorder, basic software, and it's no where near professional quality (mess ups too) - we're not musicians or performers, just a team worshiping together.

Respond if you want to hear it or I don't want to go through the trouble of putting it up. Let me know which songs you'd like to hear cuz I don't know if I have to put all these up:

Fast:
No One Like You
Sing to the King
My Redeemer Lives (I know He rescued my soul)
Jesus, You're Everything To Me (I will never stop praising You)
Blessed Be the Name

Slow:
Worthy is the Lamb (Thank you for the cross Lord)
You are My World
Made Me Glad
Glory (Holy is the Lord God almighty)
Holy is the Lord (we stand and lift up our hands)
Overflow (here I bring my stains and crowns)
GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #71

that be really helpful i would appreciate it.

if it's not too much work maybe all of them? i need to start hearing alot of eletric guitar roles in the songs cause i am use to strumming and i should learn to pick in the back ground. thanks for the no power chord advice i been using too many power chords recently

as for the amp do i really need 400 dollar amp??? i feel greedy for a nice 500 -600 dollar guitar and just get 200 or 300 dollar amp

or would 400 dollar used guitar work as well as 500 or 600 dollar ones.

Unread 07-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #72

guitar center has summer sale this month hmm

they have 100 dollar off for fender american standard probably not for used ones though, which is all i can afford

as for amp i am thinking around 300 (correct me if i should get 400 ones)

and there's this ash electric that looks nice for 400, see if it's ok
http://guitarcenter.com/buyersguide/page23.cfm

Unread 07-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #73
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle
power chords = suck.
Power chord hater.

power chords = generally somewhat distasteful...

5th chords (well, "chords" I should say) are often used in boring ways, but I find that they can add interesting textures if correctly used in positions other then the standard E and A forms. But, I'm getting off topic....

Ok, for $800 you're looking at a pretty decent guitar/amp combo. New, you can probably get a decent mid-range instrument with a small tube amp. Used, you're probably gonna find a few higher end model guitars with better amps.

Now about the amp... It's just as important as the guitar! I can play a boutique guitar through a little crate practice amp and it'll sound like poop. The amp ends up being just as, or even more so, important as the guitar, especially in lower end models.

So the bottom line ends up being: get a good amp.

But what qualifies as a good amp? See the amps forum for that info. Thoroughly covered in the thread "How To Buy An Amp".

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #74
I am not my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Power chord hater.

power chords = generally somewhat distasteful...

5th chords (well, "chords" I should say) are often used in boring ways, but I find that they can add interesting textures if correctly used in positions other then the standard E and A forms. But, I'm getting off topic....

Ok, for $800 you're looking at a pretty decent guitar/amp combo. New, you can probably get a decent mid-range instrument with a small tube amp. Used, you're probably gonna find a few higher end model guitars with better amps.

Now about the amp... It's just as important as the guitar! I can play a boutique guitar through a little crate practice amp and it'll sound like poop. The amp ends up being just as, or even more so, important as the guitar, especially in lower end models.

So the bottom line ends up being: get a good amp.

But what qualifies as a good amp? See the amps forum for that info. Thoroughly covered in the thread "How To Buy An Amp".

I agree that a bad amp will make a good guitar sound bad but a bad guitar won't be made great through a good amp, you need to try to balance the money you spend between your amp and your guitar, though i would weight the spending slightly in favor of the amp.
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #75
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
I agree that a bad amp will make a good guitar sound bad but a bad guitar won't be made great through a good amp, you need to try to balance the money you spend between your amp and your guitar, though i would weight the spending slightly in favor of the amp.
Yes. It's all about playing the guitar and amp together and trying to get the best combo for your money.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote