Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #46
Yes

Send a message via AIM to Only Alive
With my electric strat, I stum/pick to slower songs, do a little bit of lead, and do some clean powerchording to some of the more fun songs.

-Nick

Only Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #47
thistledown

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
well since i am getting 300 dollar used guitar i think 200 dollar amp will do fine or at least i hope so. cause my church sound system is pretty good, it's a mackie so as long as amp works fine i dun think it should give any problem. i would like to get better amp but i can only manage to save 600 dollar whihc in total everything, including hard case cover is around 600. however, i will try to bargain with the guitar center and say i have about 500 dollar to spend.

now i just gotta go shop for it and find out prices, i alreayd ordered free catalogs. plus i gotta practice crazy~~
hey, i think i might have found an amp that might suit your purposes. it's a Rocktron R50C Rampage. check out this to see it. this amp sells normally for about $220.
Unread 07-03-2004, 02:10 AM   #48
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfreak217
hey, i think i might have found an amp that might suit your purposes. it's a Rocktron R50C Rampage. check out this to see it. this amp sells normally for about $220.
That amp got surprisingly good reviews (surprised me) at Harmony Central
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
rocktron seems ok, internet reviews are good.

some of you guys said just a clean tone amp would be fine for praise and worship. cause i don't really need too much effect and distortion for praise songs. so if i go into a store and ask for a clean tone amp that can have a lineout to the PA system, would thye find the right one for me in my 200 dollar price range?

and is it better to just use the amp as the speaker or should i plug the amp as lineout into the PA system and use the amp it self as a mointor, which would have better sound?

also when i go to guitar center or other stores how much can i bargain? like 300 dollar guitar 200 amp and throw in rest of the 100 dollar worth accesory free? i mean can i really go down about 100 dollar off the origianl tagged price?

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #50
I am not my own

Quote:
rocktron seems ok, internet reviews are good.

some of you guys said just a clean tone amp would be fine for praise and worship. cause i don't really need too much effect and distortion for praise songs. so if i go into a store and ask for a clean tone amp that can have a lineout to the PA system, would thye find the right one for me in my 200 dollar price range?
How do we know?? You have to go in and find out
Quote:
and is it better to just use the amp as the speaker or should i plug the amp as lineout into the PA system and use the amp it self as a mointor, which would have better sound?
It's to mic the amp but after that its better to go through the PA then try to use your amp to project the sound itself for the reasons that you wont be able to mix the volume properly and in a large sanctuary it might project as well as the house PA.
Quote:
also when i go to guitar center or other stores how much can i bargain? like 300 dollar guitar 200 amp and throw in rest of the 100 dollar worth accesory free? i mean can i really go down about 100 dollar off the origianl tagged price?
Great question, I don't think your will be able to get $100 of free stuff in a less flexible, larger-chain music store though in some where the person you talk to has the ability to do that, you may be able to get some free stuff. It's hard to say though.
Unread 07-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #51

well if i say i only have 500 dollar and wants 600 dollar amount of items will they go down easily? how do i approach this, do i pick the guitar and amp first than bargain?

also what does it mean to mic the amp

should i go to guitar center or small guitar shops

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 07-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #52
I am not my own

Quote:
well if i say i only have 500 dollar and wants 600 dollar amount of items will they go down easily? how do i approach this, do i pick the guitar and amp first than bargain?
Yeah, pick you want you want first i'd think
Quote:
also what does it mean to mic the amp
To place a mic infront of the amp which goes to the PA to project the sound
Quote:
should i go to guitar center or small guitar shops
Wherever you can get a better deal. I would imagine GC would have cheaper all around price but poorer service while small shops might be more expensive but more flexible to bargain.
Unread 07-06-2004, 12:19 PM   #53
power chord hater

Do your research. If you want a Fender strat go play one at GC one day (with no intention to buy). Just go try it out and make sure that you like it. Play a couple of different guitars around your price range. Talk to some guys there. Get to know them. Don't talk about buying a guitar (if ya do tell them you are JUST looking and playing today). Don't even bring money. Check the price. Now go home and do as much research as you can. See if you can find a better deal. Check EVERYWHERE cuz GC matches prices. Know everything about the guitar you are looking at. The more you know, the chances are the better deal you will get. If you go in acting like you have no idea what you're doing they'll treat you that way and probably sell ya a bunch of stuff you don't want or need. The more you know what you're talking about the more respect you'll get and the more they can help ya. Now, they'll be nice and try to help ya either way, but if you know what you want it will help you tremendously.

Don't go in there expecting them to knock off $100 or even $20. It all depends on the store, the salesperson, you, and a whole lotta other things. When my friend bought his drum set from GC they through in a free wuhon splash and stand as well as 10 pairs of sticks. They were awesome but you can't go in expecting that. If you go in spending a good bit of cash they may throw some stuff your way. Maybe some picks, or a strap or something like that. Or the may take some off of the price. You never really know. You just have to play it by ear and see how it goes.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #54
I am not my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVADELIC
The mic you want to use is a Shure SM-57 which is a condenser mic used universally for micing instruments and amplifiers.
The SM-57 is a dynamic mic, not a condenser and I would also recommend it for live micing but considering you haven't even bought your electric guitar yet you shouldn't be worried about stage mic'ing.
Unread 07-07-2004, 11:39 PM   #55

yeah i am gonna look at catalogs for a while than go play some in GC or smaller stores. tahnks for the tip

well i think i wont mic it my church will probaly want to connect it to PA system, easier to balance volumes

Unread 07-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #56

Quote:
well i think i wont mic it my church will probaly want to connect it to PA system, easier to balance volumes
That's what the mic is for, to "connect" it to the PA system...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #57

so to mic it means to plug the amp with lineout to the pa system?

Unread 07-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #58

No, it means to use a microphone that will plug into one channel of the board and be controlled just like a line out would. My point was that it will accomplish exactly the same thing, letting the volume be controlled by a sound person. With the mic up close on the grill where it should be, there won't be that much bleedover of other stuff. I'm not trying to say you should or shouldn't do one or the other; I only pointed that out because your statement "well i think i wont mic it my church will probaly want to connect it to PA system, easier to balance volumes" led me to believe you might be under the wrong impression, that using a microphone somehow does not let you connect it to the PA...

Unread 07-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #59
I am not my own

Yah, when you mic your amp you are taking the sound that the mic picks up and projecting it through the PA as opposed to the sound the DI box picks up and projects through.

Last edited by DarylB; 07-09-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Unread 07-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #60

Correction - (thanks DarrylB) what I meant was it will accomplish exactly the same thing from the standpoint of controlling sound, mix etc. It is a better solution tone-wise since it is the actual tone of the amp, as opposed to even a "simulated speaker" direct out...