Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
ebay?? i dunno if i can really trust them haha haven't bought anything from ebay yet~~

Fender Esquire Custom GT
Fender® Blem Standard Strat® Electric Guitar

they look nice~~ good price range too. i can afford 300 dollar for the guitar. but should i rather get used guitar for 300? or a new guitar like these for 300. plus is it easy to find the same ones at guitar center or other places? cause i would rather try them a little bit and buy it than just buying it online.

oh also, would 300 dollar guitar last me a long time? cause i am planning to keep it and not sell it. would it be good enough?

as for amp if they hav line out does that mean i can plug it into the church sound system? so amp it self only produces tone but hte sound is actually coming form the church sound system right? and how heavy are they? cause i gotta carry them every friday and sunday for worship session

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #32
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
ebay?? i dunno if i can really trust them haha haven't bought anything from ebay yet~~
I bought my line 6 spider and my Les paul from ebay and had no problems at all. Also got great deals on them but ebay isn't for everyone...

Quote:
Fender Esquire Custom GT
Fender® Blem Standard Strat® Electric Guitar

they look nice~~ good price range too. i can afford 300 dollar for the guitar. but should i rather get used guitar for 300? or a new guitar like these for 300. plus is it easy to find the same ones at guitar center or other places? cause i would rather try them a little bit and buy it than just buying it online.
You can never go wrong with a strat. As long as it's a Fender and not a copy or squire that is. You could probably do better used, but YOU would have to look for it. I'm just throwing out what I can see for around your price range to give you ideas. You can def. find these and more at guitar center. They are awesome and they'll help ya out. Just make sure you don't buy something the first day. Tell them how much you have and what you are looking for. Print out a couple of guitars for examples (make sure they have prices, cuz GC will match prices). Play a few then go home and think and pray about it. Read up on the guitars that you liked. Then make a decision, go back, play it again, and try to haggle the price with the GC representative.

Quote:
oh also, would 300 dollar guitar last me a long time? cause i am planning to keep it and not sell it. would it be good enough?
It's not really the price, but what you get for the price. If you get a strat (mim or american) you're pretty much set for life. They are easy to hot rod and to repair.

Quote:
as for amp if they hav line out does that mean i can plug it into the church sound system? so amp it self only produces tone but the sound is actually coming form the church sound system right?
The amp will produce everything. Sound, tone, etc. It will actually double as a monitor so you can hear yourself. The line out will put the same sound that you hear through the amp through the church speakers (or another cab, or whatever else you have). You can also do that with a headphone out but then you lose your monitor.

Quote:
and how heavy are they? cause i gotta carry them every friday and sunday for worship session
Depends. I've got a 2X10. (Amp with two 10'' speakers) and it probably weighs about 35-40 lbs. Not extremely light but it's not bad to carry. It's a sacrifice you learn to make...
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #33
Bush or Bust!

Send a message via MSN to xXandrewXx Send a message via Yahoo to xXandrewXx
First of all wether or not to use a pedal depends on mainly what style of praise and worship does the team do. If they are aimed mainly at an older crowd then you may not want to use one. That isnt always true though, it depends on what the congregation is looking for. I suggest you ask some of the people what they think you should do and base your descision on that. And remember you can always turn of the distortion if need be
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #34

hmm so hearing wut people say here.

if i spend 300 dollar on Fender MIM or American Strat that's not squire or fake i should be fine right?

cause i am really looking for a guitar that i can keep for life like shane said about fender strat. but is there Fender Strat for 300? new? i might have to get used Fender strat for 300?

amp with line out sounds nice~ so i can use it as a monitor while the rest of the people is hearing the same thing through the church sound system. i think i can spend about 200 on a decent amp that has line out. maybe 150? something like that. but GC people will they rip you off? or rather help you?

also you know value packs are rip off huh? ones they sell you the whole set of things. cause i do have to buy case, strap, cords, and all that. i guess i have ot buy that separate.

dude you have 7 guitar??? wow if u have a decent one why dont you sell it to me?

hmm i think my budget is something like this

Fender Strat (used or new) 300 $
Amp with lien out 100-200$
acessories (case, strap, cord) 100? $

so ends up being about 600 dollar???

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
Unread 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #35
power chord hater

that sounds about right dude. Can't go wrong with strat! And there is no problem with a used one. Some would even argue that they are better. Go check out guitar center. Most of them are really good. Remember that they are still a buisness, so they want to sell stuff. But a lot of the guys really wanna help you out. Just don't let them talk you into anything you don't want. And if you need advice about what you hear from the GC guy run it by any of your friendly CGR posters! Have fun shoppin dude! Let us know what you come up with!
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #36
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Quote:
hmm so hearing wut people say here.

if i spend 300 dollar on Fender MIM or American Strat that's not squire or fake i should be fine right?
Yeah, the MIM Strat is a great entry level guitar and the American Strat is just a classic, standard guitar.
Quote:
cause i am really looking for a guitar that i can keep for life like shane said about fender strat. but is there Fender Strat for 300? new? i might have to get used Fender strat for 300?
You could use a MIM strat for life but you will likely desire to upgrade as you progress but a MIM Strat can last you awhile
Quote:
amp with line out sounds nice~ so i can use it as a monitor while the rest of the people is hearing the same thing through the church sound system. i think i can spend about 200 on a decent amp that has line out. maybe 150? something like that. but GC people will they rip you off? or rather help you?
Line out --> Di box would work but I would suggest spending more than 200 on an amp if you are willing to spend 400 on the guitar. A crappy amp can kill a good guitar tone.
Quote:
also you know value packs are rip off huh? ones they sell you the whole set of things. cause i do have to buy case, strap, cords, and all that. i guess i have ot buy that separate.
They dont sell you anything you dont really need but the stuff in any i've seen (Squier Strat Pak's etc.) are pretty crappy and only deserve to discourage an aspiring guitar player with inconsistent tuning heads, a horrible tremolo and poor all around tone.
Quote:
acessories (case, strap, cord) 100?
Unless you get a hard case, it should cost you $100 bucks for all that. Often Strats come with softcase gig bags and you can sometimes get the music shops to throw in a strap or give you a deal on a cable.
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #37

well since i am getting 300 dollar used guitar i think 200 dollar amp will do fine or at least i hope so. cause my church sound system is pretty good, it's a mackie so as long as amp works fine i dun think it should give any problem. i would like to get better amp but i can only manage to save 600 dollar whihc in total everything, including hard case cover is around 600. however, i will try to bargain with the guitar center and say i have about 500 dollar to spend.

now i just gotta go shop for it and find out prices, i alreayd ordered free catalogs. plus i gotta practice crazy~~

Unread 07-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #38

For cheap amp -
I have never tried one, but a lot of guys on another forum really like the Behringer Vintager GM110 for P & W music applications. It has a few different amp "models" that are done with analog technology from what I understand. It has a direct out with speaker emulation that they say sounds very good. It may also have effects, I'm not sure. It sells for around $100.00 or so.

There, no tube snobbery in that post, was there...

I'm really proud of myself for not saying something like "I have never tried one, or any SS amp for that matter, because someone that I know might walk into the store and see me."

Just kidding
Hey, my first amp was a solid state, back in the day when SS amps were REAAALLLY bad. My dad bought it for me when I was 15 or so.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:58 PM   #39
We Will Play FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle

You can never go wrong with a strat.

This is highly debatable
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #40
We Will Play FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle
Can't go wrong with strat!
Saying it twice does not make it true
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #41
She's a guitar hero!

Send a message via AIM to Dave H
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotj4
Saying it twice does not make it true
But it's so true!!!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
....a lot of guys on another forum......
Waddaya mean, ANOTHER FORUM?

Say it isn't so!!!!

You've been TWO-TIMING US!?!?!?!!
Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #43
Eats mor chikin

Send a message via AIM to airsoft101 Send a message via Yahoo to airsoft101
I would get a strat or a tele,whatever you lke better. NOOOOO EFFECTS! then save up for a small fender amp,Tupe or not if it's just for praise team. when you play on a praise team you're not looking for a killer souund,just a nice clean tone.

My Blog
airsoft101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker
Waddaya mean, ANOTHER FORUM?

Say it isn't so!!!!

You've been TWO-TIMING US!?!?!?!!

Well...ahem...actually more like 3 timing.

That other board is more like a soap opera tho - you can stay away for a week, come back and find it hasn't really gone anywhere in that time.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:25 PM   #45

I'm jumping in on this late, but I think that I can give some input since I've been through a lot of this.

I think that MIM Strat will do just fine. Also, try out the POD pedal. It's a modeler device which means that it's designed to emulate an amplifier. People have had a lot of success with this either plugging straight into a PA or into their recording device. It'll fit your budget just fine.

Also for worship songs, a good place to start is to just pick the chords out as the worship leader is strumming. Try and use barre chords to strum and pick. It doesn't look like you will be getting into lead playing for some time but you can add another dimension to the format of how your band plays together by developing intros that you could strum to start songs. The POD is really cool because you can experiment with some presets to make up certain lead sounds.

Here's a basic guide to help you get started.
Overdrive - clean to slight overdriven distortion. If you play soft, you get some clean sounds, when you strum hard, the sound gets "dirtier." It's versatile and great for just about any worship song.

Go to the Boss website - I think it's bossus.com or something... they have a flash media player that will allow you to hear different effects.

-Eddie
GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote