Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Cranking an amp ain't gonna hurt anything if its in good working order!! If it does, there was something wrong to begin with - better that would happen while someone else is responsible. Sure, it ages the tubes faster, but a few hours of that isn't significant.

Pushing an amp to the max is about the best way to make sure all the components are in good working order. If there is a weak component, it will manifest itself. Passing that test increases the odds of receiving one that won't fail; the longer the "test", the better the odds. In general the failure rate for most electronic components if plotted on a graph would be an exponential or log type curve, not linear by any means; the highest rate of failure being in the earliest part of its life under load. New or used, you won't know if it was cranked anyway - forget about that as a criteria for purchase !!

EDIT - Oh yeah, there is also a break in period for speakers, they are supposed to be "stiff" sounding when new. If someone else already did that, or part of that, it should sound better when you get it.

That is a good point - maybe they're duds because they're bound to be duds. I just feel "iffy" about the GC in my neighborhood when I go to plug into some amps that have every knob set at ten and then finding out it's dead along with a few other amps on the floor (I am not exaggerating). Regardless, not everyone gets their gear from GC. A lot of people go to smaller, reputable dealers who test and stand behind whatever leaves their store.

GROOVADELIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-11-2004, 12:48 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVADELIC
That is a good point - maybe they're duds because they're bound to be duds. I just feel "iffy" about the GC in my neighborhood when I go to plug into some amps that have every knob set at ten and then finding out it's dead along with a few other amps on the floor (I am not exaggerating). Regardless, not everyone gets their gear from GC. A lot of people go to smaller, reputable dealers who test and stand behind whatever leaves their store.
I am not a defender of GC, but they do have a 30 day no questions asked return policy, which is great to really try out an amp in a band setting, spend 10 hours messin' with a multi FX, or putting your own preference of strings on a guitar, stuff like that that lets you really test it out. If you don't like the item, they'll take it back with a full refund. I have to give them a thumbs up on that. In my area, I think there is one independent store that does that, but most don't to my knowledge. I don't know what the "in-store" warranty on an amp is, but I'm sure GC would exchange it in that period.

I personally am not real crazy about the smaller stores around here. Its like pulling teeth to get them to actually order replacement parts, they don't have much stock, etc. Some do have knowledgeable people, but many just act like they are, same as GC. I pretty much do my own research on stuff, I won't buy anything significant (more than a replacement pot) on any sales person's recommendation, although I will "take it under advisement" If you do have an in-store warranty issue on a new amp - good luck on them having another in stock to exchange. "oh, we have those on order, that one you got was the last one we had in stock..."

We Americans have it so tough - so many decisions - chocolate or vanilla, fries or onion rings, big chain store or locally owned store to buy our gear....
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #138
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungk5
i guess it wouldn't be bad for used amp.
as for the ebay deal i posted how is that?

i like it cause it gives me few free stuff but guitar is like 8 years old, isn't that really bad thing? to buy a very old guitar
Nope. Guitars can last decades, over a lifetime, as long as they're not abused all too much. Especially the higher end stuff. If it's a dud, it'll die within a year. If it's real good quality that will last a lifetime, it will stay in working order. My guitar is about 8 years old, and it works great. Very old guitars aren't bad. In fact, people pay tens of thousands of dollars for guitars from the 50's and 60's. The wood in a guitar ages and dries for years and years after it is made. This makes the guitar seem to come alive as it ages for a number of years of use.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 05:33 AM   #139

Great Tread!

I haven't read all the messages, but here go my 5 cents.

E-Guitar in Worship ROCKS!!!
We have in our team: Bass, E-Guitar, A-Guitar(girl who sings backup), Keys(my self and I lead with my keys) and Drums. My wife sings lead female and there is a guy that sings backup voices (and I hope he will not stay for long).

I just bought an Epiphone LEs Paul Flametop Custom and looks really cool! I got it for 670 Euros = 800 Dollars (but in Europe everything is much more expensive than in the US). A Marshall MG15CD to rehears at home (not so bad for the price) and a Boss ME-50.

To answer your question: I'm planning to leave Keys and play Rythmic E-Guitar I will have to do some major arrangements with my A-Guitarist and I think she will do mostly verses and I will go in the Chorus parts and bridges when need it. Probably in some Introductions or finales.

I come from a church where E-Guitar was mostly a taboo because it was a "Rock" symbol. I've been doing worship for more than 12 years now and let me tell you I cannot imagine a worship team without E-Guitar

Our Lead Guitar (It seems you are new, so Lead Guitar is the Guitar that plays solos and almost anything that isn't rythm, specially when you have an Aucustic guitar and another rythmic E-Guitar ) plays a really hot Ibanez with a Marshall TSL 601 and I'm getting as well the TSL 601 or the TSL 122. And we play lots of Clean stuff (clean is the sound that is not with distortion). Marshall is not the best for Clean sounds but is neither so bad. And the MArshall clean is better than the Distortion from Fender, so is a great choice.

If you have any questions how to use your E-Guitar I will recommend on hearing: Hillsong (Live, the Albun "Hope" is good), United (youth band from Hillsong) and Telecast. You can hear as well the following bands (their worship albuns): NewsBoys and Third Day. With this CDs you can get a really good idea how to use an E-Guitar in worship.

But let me tell you.... it is simply GREAT! We even use really heavy distortion for some worship songs like "Light of the world", specially in the bridge "I'll never know....." it gives such an amazing feeling, where you in God's presence really shout your guts out telling him how much HE means to you, awesome!
cesarjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:14 AM   #140
Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Nope. Guitars can last decades, over a lifetime, as long as they're not abused all too much. Especially the higher end stuff. If it's a dud, it'll die within a year. If it's real good quality that will last a lifetime, it will stay in working order. My guitar is about 8 years old, and it works great. Very old guitars aren't bad. In fact, people pay tens of thousands of dollars for guitars from the 50's and 60's. The wood in a guitar ages and dries for years and years after it is made. This makes the guitar seem to come alive as it ages for a number of years of use.
I just bought a 1978 Washburn Falcon that absolutely rocks. Old is not bad. Lack of quality is bad, ragaredless of whether it's new or old. Quality instruments last.
Unread 08-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #141

Send a message via AIM to seungk5
hey guys,

thanks for all the advices, i finally got my guitar and amp!!!

i got the 419 dollar fender ash strat and i got the fender blue jr, hard case, 2 cords, stand, and strap all for 900 dollar with tax and everything. i thoguht ti was pretty good deal because with tax and everything it was 1000 but they cut me some slack.

hmm now that i got my guitar and amp, i have bunch of noobie questions

1. amp
- my fender blue jr doesn't have a lineout to anyother soundsytem (not that i need it) but it be cool to use earphone to practice at night than wakin my parents up... hmm is that normal?
- also the light bulb in the back, gets very hot. how long am i allow to leave the amp on? will those light bulb ever pop or break cause of temperature problem? playing too long or too loud?
- then it leads me to the next question, how loud can i go with fender bleu jr with out abusing it or harming anything in the amp? including volume on the guitar and volume on the amp what should be the limit?
- fendre blue jr doesnt have standby button, it just turns own and off. so how should i warm upthe amp in the beginning? just turn it on and leave it for a minute or two? also when my pastor goes up to speak and if i need to play the guitar after sermon (which is 20-30 min long) is it better for me to turn it off and turn it back on or should i just leave it on while he speaks?
- also does temperature of the room change or effect teh amp or the guitar? it shouldn't be anywhere hot or cold? just normal room temperature?
- now the guitar~ wut are the 2 tone switch for? and the amp wut does all those switches mean? bass, tremble, master, and such such, is there web site for that??

now that igot the guitar i am so worried about keeping it nicely and babying it~ also practicing it

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.
seungk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #142
thistledown

the lightbulb in the back of the amp is most likely the tube(or valve for our british friends). it is supposed to get hot because it powers the sound.
Unread 08-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #143

Quote:
hey guys,

thanks for all the advices, i finally got my guitar and amp!!!

i got the 419 dollar fender ash strat and i got the fender blue jr, hard case, 2 cords, stand, and strap all for 900 dollar with tax and everything. i thoguht ti was pretty good deal because with tax and everything it was 1000 but they cut me some slack.

hmm now that i got my guitar and amp, i have bunch of noobie questions

1. amp
- my fender blue jr doesn't have a lineout to anyother soundsytem (not that i need it) but it be cool to use earphone to practice at night than wakin my parents up... hmm is that normal?
- also the light bulb in the back, gets very hot. how long am i allow to leave the amp on? will those light bulb ever pop or break cause of temperature problem? playing too long or too loud?
- then it leads me to the next question, how loud can i go with fender bleu jr with out abusing it or harming anything in the amp? including volume on the guitar and volume on the amp what should be the limit?
- fendre blue jr doesnt have standby button, it just turns own and off. so how should i warm upthe amp in the beginning? just turn it on and leave it for a minute or two? also when my pastor goes up to speak and if i need to play the guitar after sermon (which is 20-30 min long) is it better for me to turn it off and turn it back on or should i just leave it on while he speaks?
- also does temperature of the room change or effect teh amp or the guitar? it shouldn't be anywhere hot or cold? just normal room temperature?
- now the guitar~ wut are the 2 tone switch for? and the amp wut does all those switches mean? bass, tremble, master, and such such, is there web site for that??

now that igot the guitar i am so worried about keeping it nicely and babying it~ also practicing it
You don't need a line out, that's what mics are for. No, tube amps don't have headphone outs.

Yes the tubes get hot, just always operate it in its normal vertical position with a couple inches behind it for airflow.

Go as loud as you want !! Especially during the in-store warranty period.

If it doesn't have a standby switch, don't worry about it there's no workaround for that. It is not that big of a deal one way or the other. As far as warming up - turn it on, and when sound comes out (10 seconds or so) you are ready to rock. I personally would turn it off, just in case you get a weird problem, or a HAM or CB radio picked up and amplified during his sermon, or prayer... " BREAKER BREAKER, COME ON BACK... YOU GOT THE CHOCOLATE CHIP HERE KNOCKIN" AT YER BACK DOOR....HOOO- WEEEE, DID Y"ALL SEE THAT BLONDE IN THE RED TOY-O-TEE ??!! HOOOO-WAHHH !! YEAH, NOW THAT's WHAT I CALL...." Yes, that does happen occasionally.

As far as the knobs - turn them, see what they do. Best tone is usually all the way up (10) on guitar's controls, but that's up to you to discover... For the amp, read the manual.

Unread 08-14-2004, 02:17 PM   #144
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Take that mans advice. Enjoy. You've made a wise decision young grass hopper.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:03 AM   #145

hey guys... i made some adjustment

i dunno if it was smart move but you see when i was practicing with my friend it started to make funny noises when i started it. even with out cord or guitar pluged in, the first 20 second it is on it would make weird noises like something is poping in there. it wasn't like that in the beginning but it got worse everytime i turn it on. so i went to go switch it but they only had that one in stock...

so we crusied around for different amp something under 400 and i thought nothing can go wrong with that price. well they were all too big but i went to used section and found 150 dollar fender princeton 65. it looked old but since it was cheap we tried it for fun. amazingly it was in great condition (at least to my unprofessional ear) and we were able to crank it up as loud as the fender blue jr. it was really loud and it was portable just like fender blue jr and had 2 line in. since it was cheap i was tempted and because it was in such a good condition i bought it. ( i have to pick it up 2 weeks later cause of their used product policy, they just bought it from someone) anyway it sounded great so with the leftover money i got 2 lifetime warranty monster cable, padded strap, and a new fender frontman 15. it isn't tube since it has earphone plug in and didn't get hot. since i really wanted earphone plug to practice it at night and because the amp was 100 bucks i bought that too.

now i can practice with frontman at home and leave the princeton at church and just play with it. was taht a smart move? since it's used i am kinda scared but it was amazingly in good shape and it went up really loud. maybe frontman was bad chioce since it's not tube (i noticed because it didnt get hto either...) so i spent 250 on those 2 amp and 70 dollar for strap and the 2 cables. so i still have 73 dollar as store credit. i just gotta buy earphones with taht money probably something around 20-30 dollar?

um was that ok??? i reallly loved fender blue jr but i was scared that 1. the tube might break because if something accidently hits it or gets tipped it could easily break. there was nothing covering or protecting the tubes... scary and it was kinda big to carry around and didnt want to get it damaged. sound was amazingly clear and clean. also very loud. since extra practice amp was more money and i wanted to get a better strap and cables i had to exchange it... they didnt have anymore in stock anyway... so was this ok move????

edit: oh dang... just realized, they are both solid state... ok for practice amp that's cool.. i mean i don't the like the sound that much but i think it's pretty good to practice at home with it... princeton sounded really nice though... even as used amp... but it's not tube~~ hmm now i feel like i made a mistake...

"now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" hebrew 11:1

let's be certian of jesus, let's be sure of visions and goals he gives us. let us have a single tiny mustard seed of faith to move the mountain.

Last edited by seungk5; 08-15-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:32 AM   #146
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
So you traded in the Blues Jr. because you were worried that the tubes might break? Even if they *did* they're not expensive to replace. Especially on the HR series. About the noises, I'm not sure about that. You bought it brand new, so I can't really explain that. Personally, I think it was a *notsosmart* move. Princeton is good, but SS, you won't get the warmth and dynamics that you would with the tubes.

Case
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #147

If it sounded good to you, don't agonize over it. You're an electric guitar newbie - go with what you have, and be happy with it - you have a starting point now, go from there. As much as we like to discuss gear, when all is said and done, a guitar is like a hammer (except louder) - its not about the kind of wood in the handle, how precisely the head was forged, or the logo imprinted on it; its all about what you build with it.

Someday if you get to the point where you can really tell the difference you can change your rig. Remember there is no such thing as monogamy when it comes to gear...
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #148
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Very true. It will serve you well and you can always trade what you have now in down the road. Enjoy, you got some gadgets that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. You may now want to get a new pedal with that 70$ store credit. My reasoning for this is headphones are cheap as dirt and you can get good ones for as little as 15$ or up to 40$ for full ear coverage recording studio ones or 80$ for wireless. I say get a pedal and some cheap phones to keep you going. May sure you headphones will play music in both ears (mono) when you plug it into your amp or you are not going to be happy.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #149
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
so we crusied around for different amp something under 400 and i thought nothing can go wrong with that price. well they were all too big but i went to used section and found 150 dollar fender princeton 65. it looked old but since it was cheap we tried it for fun. amazingly it was in great condition (at least to my unprofessional ear) and we were able to crank it up as loud as the fender blue jr. it was really loud and it was portable just like fender blue jr and had 2 line in. since it was cheap i was tempted and because it was in such a good condition i bought it. ( i have to pick it up 2 weeks later cause of their used product policy, they just bought it from someone) anyway it sounded great so with the leftover money i got 2 lifetime warranty monster cable, padded strap, and a new fender frontman 15. it isn't tube since it has earphone plug in and didn't get hot. since i really wanted earphone plug to practice it at night and because the amp was 100 bucks i bought that too.

now i can practice with frontman at home and leave the princeton at church and just play with it. was taht a smart move? since it's used i am kinda scared but it was amazingly in good shape and it went up really loud. maybe frontman was bad chioce since it's not tube (i noticed because it didnt get hto either...) so i spent 250 on those 2 amp and 70 dollar for strap and the 2 cables. so i still have 73 dollar as store credit. i just gotta buy earphones with taht money probably something around 20-30 dollar?

um was that ok??? i reallly loved fender blue jr but i was scared that 1. the tube might break because if something accidently hits it or gets tipped it could easily break. there was nothing covering or protecting the tubes... scary and it was kinda big to carry around and didnt want to get it damaged. sound was amazingly clear and clean. also very loud. since extra practice amp was more money and i wanted to get a better strap and cables i had to exchange it... they didnt have anymore in stock anyway... so was this ok move????

edit: oh dang... just realized, they are both solid state... ok for practice amp that's cool.. i mean i don't the like the sound that much but i think it's pretty good to practice at home with it... princeton sounded really nice though... even as used amp... but it's not tube~~ hmm now i feel like i made a mistake...
Really, all this advice we give is to keep people from making a mistake. It sucks when you think "Wow, shoulda kept that..." In all reality, the tubes don't break very easily, and if you do happen to bust it (very unlikely) it's only aobut $5 to replace. No big deal. About as much as a pack of strings. But, now to move on. What's done is done... (however, it wouldn't be all to bad to turn those amps in and ttry to get your blues jr. back...)

But anyways. If you can't tell the difference, then for now you're fine. Don't worry about it. Later on, you can fix whatever you wanna fix by buying something new. Besides, maybe in the future you start playing some hi-gain stuff, in which case the blues jr. wouldn't have been the best choice.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #150

ya i still kinda feel bad but it's alright cause the price was really good. plus fender blue jr was out of stock and that was the one with some problem when i turn it on. o well budget wise it worked out great and i think the fender princenton should treat me well for few years. (didn't really want to carry the blue jr back and forth eveyrweek)

as for the guitar u know if it's in cold room is that bad? i know that really nice acoustic guitar should be kept in room temperature. how about the guitar? cause i leave it in my family room and it's very cold in the moring and at night because it's almost like a basement. should i at least keep it in a case or would those minor temperature not really matter to the guitar?

by teh way playing electric is so hard~ lol it's fun but i have so much to learn, i still play like acoustic just less strum and more down strokes. i am just strumming the beat and the basic rythym~ i shoudl start listening more and try to figure out something but it's so confusing at the moment